Post Gastric Bypass at WDW - Update

ADisneyPrincess

Mouseketeer
I just returned from WDW and wanted to share some of my dining experiences as a post gastric bypass patient. We had a PS for Boma and I had asked about paying the child's price when I made the PS. I was told at the time that I would have to pay the adult price and that I should order off the children's menu at regular sit down restuarants.

Ordering off the children's menu is not really a good option for GB patients as most of those items are bready or fried.

When we checked into Boma I showed the hostess my doctor's note and asked if they would honor it for the children's price on the buffet. She did not hesitate at all and said yes, I just needed to show the note to my server. My server was a bit more confused by it. I showed him the note and explained I was post gastric and that the hostess said I could pay the child's price. He thought I wanted just the children's food options from the buffet. He took the note to show his manager. The manager must have understood because there were no further questions and I was charged the child's price.

I was prepared to pay full price if I was told I would need to, but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm glad WDW honored my doctor's note because I really couldn't eat a lot at the buffet, but I wanted to try it as I'd heard such good things about it.

That was the only buffet we did as buffets are not really a good option for me anymore.

The rest of the time I shared meals with the two friends I was with. We would order two entrees and sometimes an appetizer and split them. This worked very well as many of the entrees are large. We never had any problems doing this.

I ordered off the children's menu twice. Once at MGM at Rosie's All America Cafe (chicken nuggets with fries and grapes) and once at Beaches and Cream (child's cheeseburger with fruit). I like that you can get fruit with the children's meals, I wish they offered more than nuggets and hot dogs! At Beaches and Cream the child's cheeseburger was actually two small burgers with a pretty good sized bowl of fruit. It was a lot of food.

All in all I didn't have any problems with eating at WDW. It helped that I was with people I could share with as we had similar food likes and dislikes. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll see if I can help.

Thanks for the great information! I've been putting together a family trip and have a SIL who is post-gastric bypass. I hadn't thought of getting a dr.'s note and was trying to do my meal planning around her circumstances. Any information on restaurants who will accommodate is greatly appreciated!

Definately have her get a doctor's note, it really helped with the buffet situation. We went to a number of sit down restaurants (Kona Cafe, Cinderella's Royal Table for lunch, Tangierine Cafe, Beaches and Cream, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Sci-Fi Dine In Theatre) and none had a problem with us sharing meals. They would always bring an extra plate for us.

At Cinderella's I asked to see the children's menu just to see what was on it. When seating us the hostess asked which of us was under 12. I explained I was post gastric bypass and just wanted to see what was on the menu. She congratulated me and shook my hand and didn't have a problem with me ordering off the menu if I wanted. I ended up sharing an adult entree with my friend, but I was happy to see they would let me order from the children's if I wanted.

ADisneyPrincess, we´re very happy with your report!

We´ll be there in a couple of weeks, and my wife had the surgery just three months ago. We won´t be doing any buffets, just share meals! We´re glad that everything worked fine for you :D

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of information did the dr. have to put in your note?

The note is actually pre-printed and lists my name and his name/office number. It says I had gastric bypass and shows a little diagram of the stomach. It asks that I be allowed to order off the children's menu or that they allow me to order smaller portions.

My guess is each doctor has their own version which they use.

FlavioRJ said:
ADisneyPrincess, we´re very happy with your report!

We´ll be there in a couple of weeks, and my wife had the surgery just three months ago. We won´t be doing any buffets, just share meals! We´re glad that everything worked fine for you :D

I found it helped to have some "gastric friendly" snacks with me in the parks. I can't eat much at one sitting, but get hungary between meals (I'm 10 months out so your wife my not have the hungar yet). I brought nuts, fruit snacks, protein bars. I could easily nibble these in line or during shows if the need arose.

I hope everything is going well for your wife and have fun at the World!

I found it helped to have some "gastric friendly" snacks with me in the parks.
We´ve already thought about that and we´ll be packing lots of cereal bars and we´ll get some fresh fruit on the way. Ans as we´ll also have our 18mo DD with us we´ll be heavily packed with snacks at the parks :earboy2:

I hope everything is going well for your wife and have fun at the World!
Everyhting is fine with my wife and she´s recovering pretty well (low intolerance with food [mostly red meat], and so far 60 lbs. lost). Thank You again!!! :D

Thanks for the report!! I had just posted a thread asking about the buffets because I am 2 years post gastric bypass. Although I can eat a little more than I could in the beginning, I can't come close to eating my share of a buffet. When we went to WDW the first time, I was 6 months out and we avoided most of the buffets and just shared meals. We did do Whispering Canyon and when I asked about taking leftovers and explained that I had the surgery, the server said he'd just charge me the childs price. I didn't mind that at all. I still didn't eat that much, but I got to enjoy the restaurant. We also did the Beirgarten. Now that one was a bit too pricey for me since I didn't eat but a few bites. But again, the atmosphere was wonderful, so it was worth it.

I'm not in the habit of using my dr. note. I don't like to ask for extra attention, but in this case I might. I figure we can splurge for one big meal and if I get a discount good, if not, oh well, It's Disney!

Speaking of fresh fruit, we were SO happy to find the fresh fruit stand at AK. We don't like all the fried food and grease and sugar at every meal. I've heard they have the fruit stands at other parks, but have never seen them.

GoofieRuthie said:
I'm not in the habit of using my dr. note. I don't like to ask for extra attention, but in this case I might. I figure we can splurge for one big meal and if I get a discount good, if not, oh well, It's Disney!

I agree about the note. At home I never use it because I figure I can take the leftovers home with me. I really only used it at the buffet. Like you, I can eat bit more than at the beginning, but nearly enough to justify $25 for a buffet. I did probably eat my $10 worth at the children's price.

I also used my note at Goofy's Kitchen at Disneyland. They also honored for the child's price. I was with my niece who wanted to eat there and I didn't want to tell her no, I can't eat enough to make it worthwhile!

JJsmama said:
Speaking of fresh fruit, we were SO happy to find the fresh fruit stand at AK. We don't like all the fried food and grease and sugar at every meal. I've heard they have the fruit stands at other parks, but have never seen them.

Another nice option I found was the frozen orange juice bars they sell at some of the ice cream stands. Ice cream is the one thing I can't eat post surgery and it was nice to find a non-dairy frozen treat! The pineapple dole whip is non-dairy as well, I'm not sure about the sugar content though.

To the OP, good for you! It is not an easy road to travel (surgery) and I'm glad you had a good time at Disney. :flower:

Fresh fruit: it is available in each park, sometimes you must hunt it down but it is usually worth it. In MK there is a fruit stand in toontown, in MGM there is Anneheim Produce near Beauty and Beast show. We ordered fruit with meals at ESPN CLub too. Sometimes we bought fruit cups at BWBakery and took them in restaurants with us that didn't offer fruit. Also, my kids love yogurt and we could get that at the bakery and grocery store on the BW.

We also found in some restaurants we could order a plain grilled chicken breast instead of chicken fingers for our kids (we did that at Rainforest Cafe and Rose & Crown) and they only charged the kids price.

I hope WDW continues to offer more healty choices.

I had my surgery in 98, but still have major problems with pork or tough rubbery meats. At WDW I had trouble with burgers. The meat was thick and tough. It got stuck at the entrance to me tummy and I was in pain until I did "the Dance" to get it loose. Like I said, it has been several years and my Dr. note is been destroyed for some time now. My advice is to learn to share normal food, (not buffet's, of course), and not those fatty fried meals....kinda defeating the purpose with those, but all of the menus of the rest. we ate at had really good selections. I gave in on the burger in tomorrowland because it smelled wonderful!!!!!especially with those grilled onions and mushrooms....big mistake.......big!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter