Post-Race Recovery?

lhermiston

Beer-powered running machine
So, how do you all recover after the race? I know I'm going to be sore after a marathon no matter what, but I plan on getting some time in at the parks, even if I'm moving slowly. I figured a nice soak in the pool would help, but I'm curious as to what others have done.

I used compression sleeves after a 10k last month and my calves felt a lot better.both while I wore them and after. The next day I was good. When I had done my 7 mile long run and didn't have the sleeves yet my legs were more tired and I felt it a bit the next day.

I plan to get another pair and carry o e to the park each day in case I want to wear.them at the end of the day since we are doing the parks after the half.

Once I get back to the hotel I stretch, then ice bath, eat something small, then a hot shower. Then I like walking around the parks to stay loose. It definitely helps! I wear my compression socks/sleeves in the park. Before bed I'll roll out with The Stick really good and thats about it. Maybe an epsom salt bath the next day if needed. And there is nothing like a cold beer after a long run too! mmm or a margarita with extra salt :)

Walking is great for recovery. Keeping your legs moving gently helps reduce the soreness.

This basically all the recovery I do - just some steady walking to get the blood flowing in the leg muscles and get the lactic acid build-up flushed out.

I used compression sleeves after a 10k last month and my calves felt a lot better.both while I wore them and after. The next day I was good. When I had done my 7 mile long run and didn't have the sleeves yet my legs were more tired and I felt it a bit the next day.

I plan to get another pair and carry o e to the park each day in case I want to wear.them at the end of the day since we are doing the parks after the half.

What brand compression sleeves do you use? I need to pick up a pair, but am having trouble deciding which brand to go with.

What brand compression sleeves do you use? I need to pick up a pair, but am having trouble deciding which brand to go with.

I got them on Amazon. I'll have to look and post the link when I get home tonight. I think they were around $15. I couldn't justify the cost for something I wasn't sure would work. These had good reviews too.

My recovery is pretty focused on staying moving. I have a small high protein meal, go back to the hotel to shower and change and then try to stay moving. I also do a brief ice bath after the half. I will sit to go on rides, but I won't sit for extended periods until lunch. I can't nap, I'd feel worse if I did. After the 10k and the half at a challenge race weekend I wear compression socks. I enjoy Sangria with lunch and I like a nice Margarita poolside in the late afternoon before dinner:) Of course those things are true most vacation days, but they seem to taste better on race days;)

I personally like Zensah. I have thicker ankles, and the CEPs that I have squeeze my ankles very tightly. The Zensahs have a looser ankle area.

I feel like I have a better handle on what to do for night events, but for mornings I have to eat something fairly quickly (the longer the run the faster I'd better eat), and for 10 miles or more I like Vega One post-activity bars if I can't get "real" food. If I don't eat something fairly quickly, my stomach sort of closes down and I can't eat for hours. I like to change out of my shoes and socks and sleeves, and put on warm knee-length socks if I have closed shoes, or different sleeves if I'm putting on flip flops (Crocs Athens for me). After the Disneyland Half 2014, I was hurting (was not as trained as I should have been and even slower than normal AND the sun came out in my last painful half hour), but I got back to the hotel room (do NOT take ART, just walk back to the hotel if at all possible, we waited an HOUR for the right ART bus and then had to yell at the guy to get him to stop at our hotel which was on his route), took a shower then a bath, then slowly got ready again and slowly got out the door to slowly walk through the parks. After a few hours, you kind of stretch out and feel better. Or at least I did. And I was so wiped out by that that I couldn't even wear my medal to the parks, as the medal felt too heavy. :scared: Thankfully I had my shirt to put on as I hadn't run in it.

These are the compression sleeves I got. I like but have only worn them once and haven't washed them yet. I'll use them again after my long runs in March and after the 12k in April before I decide if I want to go with these again or spend more. My biggest thing was not wanting to spend a ton when I didn't know if they would help and then being stuck with them because I'd worn them. These you can return if you aren't happy.

http://www.amazon.com/Compression-S..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0KFMSWQSNW525RWPXRV6

How are you all doing your ice baths? Just bringing it in to the hotel bath tub with the small ice bucket?

Oh, and thanks for all the responses! My biggest concern is that I won't be able to enjoy the parks after the race. We're going to try to do one mark Sunday after the race (maybe Epcot, since everyone is suggesting walking and that's my favorite walk-around park) and Monday (MK for sure).

Once I get back to the hotel I stretch, then ice bath, eat something small, then a hot shower. Then I like walking around the parks to stay loose. It definitely helps! I wear my compression socks/sleeves in the park. Before bed I'll roll out with The Stick really good and thats about it. Maybe an epsom salt bath the next day if needed. And there is nothing like a cold beer after a long run too! mmm or a margarita with extra salt :)

This is almost exactly my routine, minus the ice bath. I was skeptical of The Stick until I used it... then, wow! My "routine" after my very first half included throwing up... but I've since abandoned that. :)

How are you all doing your ice baths? Just bringing it in to the hotel bath tub with the small ice bucket?

I usually have my kids with me so they make multiple trips with the small ice bucket lol. If they're not with me I use the garbage can. Someone on FB posted that they use their gear check bag which I might try this weekend assuming it doesn't have holes in it by then.

This is almost exactly my routine, minus the ice bath. I was skeptical of The Stick until I used it... then, wow! My "routine" after my very first half included throwing up... but I've since abandoned that. :)

I was skeptical too but I love it now! And its easier to travel with than my foam roller!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter