Power Chair vs ECV

I have a Inva Care Power Wheelchair. You WILL need a lift for it. It is not like the scooters that come apart easily. That being said it is a MILLION times more comfortable (IMO) then the scooters. I have I think they call it the Captains back, arms and everything adjust so it fits me perfectly. When I had some mobility I used a scooter ,I have since lost most of my mobility due to this damn disease and upgraded to a wheelchair. A scooter is good if you spend a few hours in it, not so good if you spend most of your time in it.
I've been watching this discussion because I own a scooter & power chair. I've always used the scooter at WDW but I'm considering taking the power chair on our trip coming up in March. I know it's been mentioned that scooters are easier to drive but I've been using the power chair at home so I'm experienced driving it but mostly on smooth level surfaces. I'm just not sure about using it at WDW on ramps & rough ground. Besides comfort, what other differences, good or bad, do you find between scooters & power chairs?

Honestly I have no issues with my wheelchair and ramps/rough ground. At first it was a little intimidating going from a BIG ecv/scooter type unit to the smaller more compact wheelchair. Mind you the wheelchair weighs more, but it doesn't have that steering wheel front end like the scooters do. So the wheelchair just feels *smaller* Once I got over that mind game, I find the wheelchair is so much more maneuverable, I can squeeze into smaller spaces, I can turn on a dime, I think the wheelchairs have more control with the joystick. Honestly I do not think I could drive a scooter now LOL.

That being said, I do think scooters go over grass, dirt better then the wheelchair but Disney doesn't have alot of that type of turf.

We went shopping yesterday to find out if the bigger battery, that comes standard with the newer version of my chair, would fit in my chair, which has the smaller battery. It does, which is good since I won't have to buy a new chair for longer battery life. But, the salesman didn't think I'd really increase my battery life that much for the $300 the new battery cost. I pointed out that my ECV with the bigger battery last much longer than my chair, the Golden Literider. He said that's not just because of a bigger battery, but because power chairs use more battery because they have 2 motors. Even with the same size battery, he said a power chair won't go as long between charges as an ECV. I was not aware of that. One more reason to go with ECV over power chair.

Unusual for a salesman to talk you out of buying something. The salesman at a different store, where we bought my chair, had told us the bigger battery wouldn't fit my chair & we would need to buy the newer model. I figured he just wanted to sell a new chair. Glad we got a second opinion.

We were also told that the Golden Literider Envy was the best basic transportable power chair. Anything more, you'd need a lift. They did have a foldable one but he didn't recommend them. He said the more places they fold, the less stable they are. Plus the fact that the entire chair has to be lifted rather than coming apart. Just one salesman's opinion though.

Thank you GranJan.

Anyone travel outside the us with a chair or ecv? Anyone go to Tokyo? I've read that ecv aren't a good idea in Japan as they don't have the accommodations on public transportation as the locals use small wheelchair (man powered and battery powered)

Thank you GranJan.

Anyone travel outside the us with a chair or ecv? Anyone go to Tokyo? I've read that ecv aren't a good idea in Japan as they don't have the accommodations on public transportation as the locals use small wheelchair (man powered and battery powered)
I have not been to Tokyo, but have been to Europe several times - Belgium, France and The Netherlands.
I saw mostly power assist wheelchairs, where the chair can be used as a manual chair, but has motors in the wheels.
http://www.alber-usa.com/produkte-r...-fuer-rollstuehle/aktivrollstuhl-emotion.html

I don't remember seeing any ECVs and only a very few regular power wheelchairs.

Today I stopped by a scooter store. Found I think I like the ecv better then a power chair. I'm just not sure if I like the 4 wheel or the 3 wheel. But it was just my first day out looking. Here's the one I was looking at if anyone interested. I'll post more as I find different ones. The tilt back chair doesn't seem to be an option for me but the chairs on these were comfortable enough.

http://www.goldentech.com/scooters/compact-travel-scooters-buzzaround-series/

If your local scooter store will let you, see if you can rent or check out the model of scooter you are most interested in for a day to two, so that you can really get a feel for what it's like to assemble/disassemble and use for extended periods in real life situations (like going to the grocery store, the movies, the mall, etc.)

Personally, I'm comfortable with either 3 or 4 wheels. Some folks have a marked preference. Both have pros and cons.

- 3 wheels: Can make tighter turns. May be lighter. May have a smaller "footprint" (length and width). May have more ground clearance (which means slightly higher seating position (better visibility) and can roll over small obstacles (like a soda can). Single front wheel means you must pay careful attention to where you drive; prone to front wheel "sinking" in softer softer surfaces. Inclines, hills and ramps (especially steep ones) may be better addressed at the bottom from a slight angle, rather than head on.

- 4 wheels: (possibly) Longer wheelbase may allow more leg room. May ride differently than 3 wheeler. May have a rather large (compared to 3 wheels) turning radius. May have a larger "footprint". May weigh more. 4 wheels means weight is more evenly distributed to all four wheels, but may have less ground clearance than 3 wheel scooter. Might do slightly better on soft surfaces. Typically can approach ramps, hills, and inclines straight on.

When you are looking at traveling with an ECV, it's different from day to day living - you may have to assemble/disassemble more often, or in less-than-optimal conditions. You will have to make sure you can charge your batteries, and that your batteries will be sufficient to get you through a long day of touring under unknown conditions. And you want to know that your scooter will ride and drive well over uneven surfaces.

Here's what I would focus on, if I were you; direct comparison points that will help you decide which model might be most comfortable for you.

- Size: What is the "footprint" (length and width when assembled and ready to ride) and what is the total "curb weight" (assembled and ready to ride with a battery installed)
- Battery life: What is the expected run time for the battery?
- Battery chemistry: Is it SLA or Li-On? Check with your favorite airline and/or cruise line to make sure that you will be allowed to bring that battery on board.
- Throttle type: Is it a twist throttle (like a motorcycle) or a squeeze throttle (where you have to push or pull a lever all the time) (and FYI, almost all twist throttles can be "converted" with the use of an inexpensive product like a Crampbuster for those who have hand problems)
- Seat: What is the type (Captains chair? Armless? Backless?) and note any special features like Memory Foam, height adjustment, contouring, etc.
- Portability: Does it fold? Does it come apart into multiple pieces? What size and weight is the heaviest part? Can you lift the heaviest part at least 3 feet to/from the ground? Can you bend over or squat long enough to assemble/disassemble the ECV when needed?

Everything else is window dressing. Color, molded plastic covers, pockets, storage, cup holders, keys, buttons, dials, gauges... all the rest is *nice* but if I were in your shoes, I would focus more on making sure I was able to manage the scooter on my own, maximize my comfort and run time, and consider everything else as "gravy", as the folks in my neck of the woods say.

Good luck on your continued search! I know how important this is - and I hope you find exactly the right scooter for you! :)

Today I stopped by a scooter store. Found I think I like the ecv better then a power chair. I'm just not sure if I like the 4 wheel or the 3 wheel. But it was just my first day out looking. Here's the one I was looking at if anyone interested. I'll post more as I find different ones. The tilt back chair doesn't seem to be an option for me but the chairs on these were comfortable enough.

http://www.goldentech.com/scooters/compact-travel-scooters-buzzaround-series/
The salesman we talked to recommended the Golden over the Pride ECV that we bought from them 3 yrs ago. I don't think they carried Golden at the time. We bought the Golden power chair at another store. The ECVs you're looking at look like good ones.

What I've learned from owning the Pride Go-Go first then upgrading to the Pride Go-Go Sport is this:

Battery power mattered to me...my 1st ECV didn't have enough but I think all the newer ones have good batteries.

Ground clearance was important...my 1st scraped the ground with just the smallest bumps, like the rough ground at Animal Kingdom. I thought too much ground clearance would make it likely to tip, but the salesman said that's not the case because the seat is the same height from the ground. Looks like the ones you're looking at have plenty of ground clearance.

I prefer the 3 wheel. I actually bought the 4 wheel Go-Go Sport for my second ECV...thought I'd like it better than 3, took it to the grocery store & realized I wouldn't like it at Disney. Swapped it for the 3 wheeled. They charged me the price of a weeks rental to make the switch, so we took a loss on that deal. That's how much I disliked the 4 wheel. The turn radius wasn't good. I have to take my ECV inside restaurants & bathrooms so turn radius is important. If you are able to park & walk a little it may not matter as much. Salesman said some people think they have more leg room with 4 wheels since they can prop their feet on the wheel covers. I've never tipped my 3 wheeled. If you drove into the trolley tracks in Magic Kingdom at an angle, I don't think it would matter how many wheels you have.

Wheel size does matter. The front wheel on my 1st was tiny. On paved surfaces it was fine but the garden center we go to has packed gravel & it bogged down in it. I made sure my second ECV had a little larger & wider wheel...handled it much better. Goes over the trolley tracks better too.

These are just things I wish I had known when I bought my 1st ECV. Then I would've gotten what was right for me the 1st time. I think as long as you stay away from the $700 ones, you'll be fine. Those are fine for very small people on smooth, level surfaces. I'm not a big person but I still felt cramped on my 1st one. My 2nd is a little longer but I leave the basket off so it's still pretty compact. I agree with Mamabunny about not carrying too much stuff on your ECV. I felt sorry for a lady I saw once who had to use the restroom with the door open because her ECV was too big, but she had a large basket on the front & a huge backpack on the back...maybe she needed all that stuff.

Most important, just get what will meet your needs based on your size, where you'll be driving it & your physical condition now & in the near future. Get what you need without going overboard. The seat on the Golden ECVs you're looking at are the same as what my Golden power chair has. When we thought we might need to buy a new one for the bigger battery, my husband was looking at more expensive ones with high backed seats...said it would be more comfy for me. I told him I didn't need that & if I ever got to the point that my seat wasn't comfy enough for a day at Disney, then we'd just have to take more breaks.

Good luck with finding the right thing for you. Sounds like you're doing the right thing & doing lots of research.

Last edited:
First off thank you so much everyone for all your help. My husband also read all your thoughts and found them helpful. We went several stores today and i think i like the Golden Buzz Around EX. the shocks and the seat are very comfortable. im now left with the question 3 or 4 wheels. both have the same clearance of 4". ive driven both at disney parks, but ive never driven an ecv outside anything disney. so need to figuer out which one would be better. :)

I've been looking for the ecv size disney allows on the busses but can't find it. Does anybody me know? I'm assuming a travel
Scooter would be small enough but I thought I check.

I've been looking for the ecv size disney allows on the busses but can't find it. Does anybody me know? I'm assuming a travel
Scooter would be small enough but I thought I check.
I think it's 30 by 48. Your probably right that any travel scooter would be fine. Did you decide between 3 or 4 wheeled? You could start a new discussion on that but you'll get lots of different opinions. Just depends on where you'll be driving it whether the larger turn radius of the 4 wheeled is an issue or not. I do disagree with those that say a 3 wheeled is less stable. If you're driving in a safe manner, I don't think that's true. I'm a big chicken & I feel perfectly safe of my 3 wheeled.

Post #4 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread is about transportation and includes this info:

What about size of the wheelchair/ECV?
Ramps (and lifts) can accommodate a wheelchair or ECV that is 30 inches wide by 48 inches long or smaller. All resort bus stops have a box of that size painted on the ground at bus stops.
(For reference, the park rental ECVs look huge compared to most ECVs and wheelchairs, but are 26 inches wide and just a bit under 47 inches long).
If your wheelchair is larger than those dimensions, the driver is to contact a Transportation Manager who can discuss alternatives.
ADA definition for a 'standard wheelchair' includes a weight of 600 pounds or less for the wheelchair/ECV plus occupant. If weight is greater than that, you may need to make special arrangements.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/policy-about-size-of-scooters-on-buses.2566471/

Enjoy your vacation!

LOL it's fairly simple!

I found these lights on Amazon; they have a standard USB plug on them. (They are made to plug in the back of the TV and act as a backlight) I use zip ties to put them on instead of relying on the adhesive backing (I don't even peel off the backing). I make sure that they are all pointing DOWN, towards the ground. That way, there's no chance of blinding the littlest Guests in their strollers! (That's why I make sure my headlight and taillight also point downward, towards the ground, and not straight out; the littles are right down there at that level, so I am super careful to make sure I don't accidentally blind them)

Once I have them installed, I just bring along an external battery pack made to charge up iPhones, iPads, etc. and when the sun starts to go down, I plug in my lights!

I have them set on the slowest color cycle pattern - I'm always mindful of the fact that there are other Guests at WDW who have very real issues with fast lighting changes/blinking, and the last thing I would ever want to do is mess up someone else's Magic!

This is during the first time we turned it on in a dark room - it really makes a nice "glow" under Angus! (And I equipped Max with a set also; don't want anyone in my stable getting jealous! LOL)

View attachment 213589
ThAnk you so much for pointing the light down and keeping the changing light slow as someone with a vision problem that is made warts by bright and or blinking light (and I have recently been getting migraines because of this) I am very thankful to you. Disney is already hard enough with what they sell that blinks and what not. So thank you aging. Buy the way I may have to get my friend those light for her ECV

Thank you Mamabunny. Ive used the scooter in the house the past few days and its great. Tight turns are easily made. Its very comfortable I love the great shocks on this model.

Has anyone had their scooters stolen while at the parks? Im wondering if I should lock it up some how. Its sad that I didnt worry about that when I was renting. But now Im wonder if they ever do get stolen in the parks?

Thank you Mamabunny. Ive used the scooter in the house the past few days and its great. Tight turns are easily made. Its very comfortable I love the great shocks on this model.

Has anyone had their scooters stolen while at the parks? Im wondering if I should lock it up some how. Its sad that I didnt worry about that when I was renting. But now Im wonder if they ever do get stolen in the parks?

I've never (personally) heard of anyone's scooter getting stolen - as you know, they often get moved by CMs keeping the walkways tidy.

Having said that... my personal ECV doesn't have a key! It's the one thing I wish it *did* have, because I would feel a tiny bit safer leaving it! LOL

So, instead, I actually disconnect the battery (luckily the batteries for my scooter have a "quick disconnect" feature) and I tuck the battery connector away so that if someone did try to steal it, they couldn't hop on and drive it away - they would have to drag it along! When we come back to the ECV, I just reach around and plug it back in; it's quick and easy, and it gives me a bit of peace of mind.

If you have a key - just take it with you; that will stop a lot of nonsense! :) And if you don't have a key, then maybe look at doing what I do - disable it by unplugging the battery. Just like any other kind of theft, if you make it difficult, often the potential thief will move along to another, easier target!

What did you name your new wheels? My "retired" scooter is named Max, after the Palace horse in "Tangled" - he's strong and loyal, and will wait for me forever! :) And my main ride is Angus - named for Merida's horse in "Brave"; he takes me on all my adventures, and always gets me home safe again! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!