power wheelchair in the rain?

Biscuitsmom31

<font color=peach>Burn a candle to deal with the s
DH has only had his "Jazzy" wheelchair for a couple of months and we have always avoided getting it wet. I've heard it rains almost everyday at WDW in August and was wondering how to handle the rain with a power chair. :confused3 Anybody know if it will hurt the chair?

I have used my Jazzy in the rain many times. I cover the control stick with a plastic bag or shower cover and use a big poncho over me and the chair. And if it is pouring I head for cover.

DD doesn't have a Jazzy, but the common for all power wheelchairs is you want to avoid getting the controller wet. My DD goes out in the rain/wet snow with her wheelchair without protecting the controller if it's just light rain and just a short distance, but if more than that, we do protect it like Talking Hands mentioned.
One other thing to keep in mind is that (just like with cars) traction might be affected a bit if you ar on wet pavement.

I've been caught in the rain before at WDW or elsewhere and have gone into any of the shops or restaurants and requested a small shopping bag to put over the controller. If I'm by myself it's hard to carry all that "stuff" and be able to access it independently but I've never had a problem getting someone to assist me with this simple task. Like Lisa I also use ponchos to cover all the equipment on the back of my chair and if in a heavy downpour...head for cover! Once during a really severe t-storm one of the CM's in Guest Services had a bus brought up to the front for me so I wouldn't have to wait outside in line with the wind/rain whipping around. Kathy

One trip we refer to as the "yellow poncho trip". It rained all the time.
WE even have a picture of us in those ponchos hanging in the community hall at OKW!

As Dan drove through the puddles , we all trooped along getting soaked.
We had a contest one night to see whos shoes were the wettest and we were shocked that Dan's feet sitting on his foot rests above the puddles were wetter than ours. In trips to follow his feet were wrapped due to lymphodema and to keep them dry we would ask for medium shopping bags at a store and keep his feet dry in addition to worrying about the controller! Only at Disney would be have tolerated Mickey mouse bags on his feet as we headed out in the rain continuing to enjoy the trip!!

:earsboy:

LindaDVC said:
One trip we refer to as the "yellow poncho trip". It rained all the time.
WE even have a picture of us in those ponchos hanging in the community hall at OKW!

As Dan drove through the puddles , we all trooped along getting soaked.
We had a contest one night to see whos shoes were the wettest and we were shocked that Dan's feet sitting on his foot rests above the puddles were wetter than ours. In trips to follow his feet were wrapped due to lymphodema and to keep them dry we would ask for medium shopping bags at a store and keep his feet dry in addition to worrying about the controller! Only at Disney would be have tolerated Mickey mouse bags on his feet as we headed out in the rain continuing to enjoy the trip!!

:earsboy:
yep, we've noticed the same thing about DD. Her feet (and socks) werre soaked from driving thru the puddles one year. The puddles can get quite deep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter