Practically Perfect in Every Way - Julie's Solo Disney Adventure - UPDATED 2/18!!! Finally!

We stayed one night at the Contemporary on our last trip and I would love to stay there again! How awesome to have ten days there!

I took the MDE from Bay Lake Tower to the airport and we also stopped by Wilderness Lodge. I should explore that resort next time. Solo trip is the best! Can't wait to read the rest of the TR

Following along, as solo trips fascinate me. I've never done one, but maybe one day?
I love your rules, too, especially about no cell phones or pic's on rides, and no filming fireworks, etc. I don't know how anyone can enjoy those things looking thru a camera/phone? I actually leave my ipod touch (no smart cell phone,ust a flip phonee) at the resort so I'm not tempted. I have all our adr's, fp's written down on a small piece of paper which is folded up and put in a pocket. We don't actually have many adr's at all. If we want to change a fp, we go to a kiosk.
We probably do it to an extreme, but it works for us:) Cant wait for more of your trip report.

Last edited:
Day 1 Part 2 - Disney’s Contemporary Resort

I was home! Man, the feeling of walking into your Disney resort for the first time never gets old. It's never less exciting. My joy level was off the charts.

I stepped off the bus right around 2:30. I had great luck at check in as I didn’t have to wait in line at all. I even had someone come up to me and ask if they could help before I reached the desk. Being there before the 3:00pm check in time, I was prepared to wait for my room. I showed them my Cast Member ID, so they could verify my discount. Then the woman at the desk gave me some information about the resort and I was on my way. Room was ready!

I got room 4623 on the 10th floor on the north side. Second from the very end, actually. When I was standing outside my room before going in, I could see Magic Kingdom perfectly through the large windows in the atrium. It was much closer than it appears in any photograph. I was stunned. I took a photo, but again. You don’t understand how close it actually is until you’re there and see it in person. The magic was just beginning.

View of Magic Kingdom (small).jpg

My MagicBand worked immediately to open the door, and I was greeted with a beautiful room. I know some don’t like the look of the Contemporary, but I absolutely loved it. Everything I needed and more. My very own space. I’ve lived with family or roommates my whole life. I was ready to have my own bathroom. That may seem strange, but it really added to how special this was.

Beds (small).jpg Couch (small).jpg Desk (small).jpg Shower (small).jpg

The view was magnificent. It wasn’t Magic Kingdom, but it was still glorious. The sunrises in the mornings to come would justify the cost. I loved the balcony and everything about it. Floor to ceiling windows let the sun shine in and wake me up every morning. I was in love.

Balcony and View (small).jpg Bay Lake View (small).jpg

After enjoying my room for a few minutes, I quickly headed down to Contempo Cafe for lunch around 3:00. I was quite hungry by this point. I got one of their flatbreads and the peanut butter pie. You should know I love few things more in life than peanut butter. This will be a recurring thing. The flatbread was really good. It was hummus, veggies, feta, and balsamic vinaigrette.

Contempo Cafe - Flatbread (small).jpg

And the pie was just as good as I wanted it to be. I could only eat half, so I saved the other half for later. Yuuum.

Contempo Cafe - Peanut Butter Pie (small).jpg

I also got a refillable mug. I wasn’t sure if I should but it proved to be quite useful.

After lunch I browsed the gift shops on the main level, tried to look at every part of Mary Blair’s mural, and generally just get to know the space. I’d be spending a lot of time here.

Once back in my room, I unpacked. The main reason I wanted to get my own bag was to make sure everything was set and put away so I wouldn’t have to worry about it during the week. I organized my clothes and ironed some that got wrinkled. I set things in the shower and on the sink so everything was ready to go. Also, one of my favorite things about the room was the hamper in the toilet area. I brought a laundry bag, but this was just amazing. When you’re sweaty and gross, being able to toss your clothes in and jump right in the shower was so nice.

Hamper (small).jpg

One theme for me with the Contemporary is convenience. The monorail, walking to Magic Kingdom, just going downstairs for mug refills, everything! Down to the hamper. Everything was convenient. It made for such a stress-free trip.

I kept the tv on the channel with the schedule and it had the music playing. It’s was actually really pleasant, and I enjoyed taking my time before really getting started on my vacation.

Next up, I head to Magic Kingdom.

I'm in! Love your rules. Totally agree about experiencing a ride, fireworks etc. "live" and not from behind a screen. The view from your room is incredible! Wow!!! I've not seen a hamper in any other resorts -- I agree that would be super handy. I'm looking forward to hearing all about what sounds like an amazing trip!

I love the lake view of the Contemporary rooms, and my husband and I actually prefer it over MK view! So relaxing, especially at night!

Love the start to your report and your gorgeous room/view! I completely agree with experiencing such joy when arriving at your resort. There is nothing like that sense of anticipation. Looking forward to reading more!

Loving the start to your report--what a lovely stress free travel day. And i hear you on the conveniences: unpacking and getting everything in its place, just getting ready for your whole vacation...can't wait to read more!

also I totally did the same thing with putting the schedule on the tv and just having the music playing in the background--it's super nice!

Day 1 Part 3 - Magic Kingdom

I ended up leaving around 5:15 to catch the monorail to Magic Kingdom. I wasn’t in a hurry as my first FP was at 5:45, and I always enjoy a monorail ride. I was trying to ease my way into Disney mode. If I jumped right in, I’d probably burst from all the joy. It ended up taking longer than expected as we got delayed at the Grand Floridian. But I didn’t mind. I was at Disney. ON THE MONORAIL. All was good.

I was walking into Magic Kingdom around 5:45 or so and it was mildly raining. I had my umbrella up, but it wasn’t necessary after about five minutes. It was storming all around us so rides were down. My Splash and Big Thunder Mountain FPs turned into anytime FPs. I took the time to hit up Haunted Mansion and Small World. Each with about 15-20 minute wait. All the indoor rides’ wait time went up with all the outdoor ones closed for the storms. I did get to see my name on Small World, which always puts a smile on my face.

Small World Name (small).jpg

I was finally able to get on BTMRR and used one of the Anytime FP for that. Then I hunted down some more water as I’d finished mine. I use a reusable insulated water bottle, as I really hate plastic water bottles. They can be convenient, but oh-so-wasteful. It just hurts my heart to see so many being used, but I guess to each their own. I don’t mind filling mine up throughout the day. Especially since it’s insulated and always cold!

I was able to use my last FP on Mine Train around 8:00 or so. I wanted it to be darker so I waited. There were a couple of us single riders in line and we all got put near the back. I hate asking for the back, and will only do so if I’m really close to the front. So it was nice to end up there anyway. I love this ride in the dark!

Ad4sU0K.jpg

After 7DMT, I headed to Sleepy Hollow to try their Sweet and Spicy Chicken Waffle. I was feeling a little peckish, but I didn’t need a full meal. Nor do I like eating a lot late in the evening. I didn’t realize it came with chips, and the chips were really good. I liked the “sandwich” a lot, but wasn’t able to finish. It was really filling.

Sleepy Hollow - Chicken Waffle (small).jpg

Then it was nearly time for Happily Ever After. There isn’t much more I’d rather do at Disney World than watch fireworks over Cinderella’s Castle. It’s the happiest of all my happy places. I started to get a little worried when they weren’t making the usual announcements. Though it wasn’t raining, we were surrounded by lightning and thunder. Finally, right at the start time, they said it was delayed. So much booing, which I find unnecessary. Sure, we’re disappointed, but there’s no need to boo.

It finally started about 15 minutes late. And it was as wonderful as I’d remembered. My throat gets thick every time the narration starts. And being a lover of all the Disney Animated Classics, I really get into the montage and songs throughout. I absolutely love this show! And I got a pretty good spot soon before. As a solo park-goer, it’s fairly easy to find a spot without having to wait an hour. I took a photo of my view, but put the phone away before it started. Rule #1.

HEA View Night 1 (small).jpg HEA View After Night 1 (small).jpg

I purposefully stood near the Liberty Square entrance so I could quickly maneuver over to line up for the Tangled Lantern Photo when the show was over. Smart idea on my part, as there were maybe only five or six parties ahead of me when I got there. And when I was done, there were at least a dozen behind me. I really liked how some of the photos turned out. Worth the dash over!

jmUmWY0.jpg

AolInVH.jpg

KNfYXp3.jpg

After that, I went to use my last Anytime FP for Splash Mountain. It was down for refurbishment the last time I was here and it’s absolutely my favorite ride, so it was a high priority for me. It started raining while I was in line, and kept raining while I was on the ride. While I didn’t get soaked from the big drop, the rain and all the other splashes combined to get me pretty drenched. And I loved it. I love riding Splash right before leaving the park, so I know I’m going to change out of my wet clothes soon.

JSBRD5C.jpg

JSBRD5C.jpg

I ended up leaving Magic Kingdom around 11:00, right at closing time. I wandered in a few shops but didn’t really buy anything. I was back in my room at 11:15 and lights out by midnight. This was my latest night, though, which was good. I tend to Rope Drop most mornings.

Speaking of, next up is my Rope Drop Magic Kingdom day. Let’s see what I can accomplish with a 7am EMH before the park closes early for MNSSHP. (The answer is: A LOT!)

Total Steps - Didn’t wear Fitbit. It was packed away and I forgot. :(

Also, sorry about the photos being huge. I uploaded them to Imgur and it's the original file size. Not sure how to make them a bit smaller. I'm sure I'll figure this out sooner or later. :)

Last edited:
What an awesome night! Anytime fastpasses, Happily Ever After, the Tangled lantern photo...it sounds fantastic. :) Your photos are great (I can never figure out how to resize them either...oh well!) Looking forward to more :)

Big news, folks!

My next Disney World trip is official. Well, I haven't booked it yet, but dates have been finalized. My best friend and her daughter joined me on a Disneyland trip in December 2017 and have been dying to go back. And since Aunt Julie has the great perks, she gets to come along! Also, it should be noted that Best Friend is 100% the opposite of a planner. She likes traveling and doing things but hates planning. We balance out well, because I LOVE planning.

We'll be going from March 27-31. Resort TBD. We'll see what CM rates are popping up. She seems to be willing to do whatever is within my budget, so I'll let the discounts decide for me. I'm rather nervous about possible Spring Break crowds, but I have my strategies for avoiding them. It worked best with Best Friend's work schedule, as her office is close those days. We'll make do!

Also, her husband may be coming. No official word yet on that.

We decided right in time, because 180 days from March 27th is this coming Friday! Better book soon! I'd love to get a Cinderella's Royal Table breakfast. Best Friend's Daughter (I call her my niece) will be 4 1/2 years old in March and LOVES the princesses. At Disneyland she was super skeptical of the costumed characters, so we were nervous about the princesses. But she took right to them! So we should really eat in the castle. :)

Let the planning begin!!!

So exciting to have your next trip booked! I feel like I always decide right AFTER 180 days out so Im usually setting up reservation finders to find the ones I can't get lol

The flatbread was really good. It was hummus, veggies, feta, and balsamic vinaigrette.
This is perfection!!

And the pie was just as good as I wanted it to be. I could only eat half, so I saved the other half for later. Yuuum.
So delicious!

I kept the tv on the channel with the schedule and it had the music playing. It’s was actually really pleasant, and I enjoyed taking my time before really getting started on my vacation.
I do the exact same thing, love that music!

I use a reusable insulated water bottle, as I really hate plastic water bottles.
Same here, I use the Brita filtered bottles and lots of ice. It is perfect.

I was feeling a little peckish, but I didn’t need a full meal. Nor do I like eating a lot late in the evening. I didn’t realize it came with chips, and the chips were really good. I liked the “sandwich” a lot, but wasn’t able to finish. It was really filling.
Haha! My favourite word "peckish"!

There isn’t much more I’d rather do at Disney World than watch fireworks over Cinderella’s Castle. It’s the happiest of all my happy places.
I feel like I am writing this report....we are Disney twins!

I purposefully stood near the Liberty Square entrance so I could quickly maneuver over to line up for the Tangled Lantern Photo when the show was over. Smart idea on my part, as there were maybe only five or six parties ahead of me when I got there. And when I was done, there were at least a dozen behind me. I really liked how some of the photos turned out. Worth the dash over!
I did the exact same thing on my trip! The Saturday evening at MK I had this planned and it worked perfectly.

We'll be going from March 27-31. Resort TBD. We'll see what CM rates are popping up. She seems to be willing to do whatever is within my budget, so I'll let the discounts decide for me. I'm rather nervous about possible Spring Break crowds, but I have my strategies for avoiding them. It worked best with Best Friend's work schedule, as her office is close those days. We'll make do!
Awesome!!!!!

March Trip Update!

I decided Port Orleans Riverside for my March trip. As amazing as the Contemporary was and as much as I want to try the Wilderness and AK Lodges, I think this is a great choice for us. I got one of the Royal Guest Rooms with the princess theme. My niece is going to love it! The resort itself looks beautiful as well. I'm super excited about it. Plus it's a lot more budget friendly than the Contemporary! I can get on board with that.

ADR day is tomorrow! Crossing my fingers for CRT breakfast and hopefully 'Ohana. That's the only restaurant her mom and I went to on our first trip, so I think it would be nice to go on her first trip. We'll see if I get lucky. Wish me luck!

POR is such a lovely resort. It has a very relaxed feel and I loved how easy it was to hop a ferry to Disney Springs. :)

I love how close the Contemporary is to MK!

My MagicBand worked immediately to open the door, and I was greeted with a beautiful room. I know some don’t like the look of the Contemporary, but I absolutely loved it. Everything I needed and more. My very own space. I’ve lived with family or roommates my whole life. I was ready to have my own bathroom. That may seem strange, but it really added to how special this was.

beds-small-jpg.353014

I loved the rooms at the Contemporary as well. They are very efficient, lots of storage and space to put things on, Lots of places to charge, etc.

What a view!! Amazing!

Once back in my room, I unpacked. The main reason I wanted to get my own bag was to make sure everything was set and put away so I wouldn’t have to worry about it during the week. I organized my clothes and ironed some that got wrinkled. I set things in the shower and on the sink so everything was ready to go. Also, one of my favorite things about the room was the hamper in the toilet area. I brought a laundry bag, but this was just amazing. When you’re sweaty and gross, being able to toss your clothes in and jump right in the shower was so nice.

hamper-small-jpg.353025

THIS!!! This was so nice to have in the room! I usually bring a bag too but it is really nice to have a dedicated spot for laundry!

I took a photo of my view, but put the phone away before it started. Rule #1.

hea-view-night-1-small-jpg.354089

LOL I've failed at Rule #1 so many times. I make sure never to block anyone's view though.

Lovely pic! Your resting lantern face is great!

Final March Trip Update (for now)

ADRs went well this morning. I made way too many then cancelled some. I remembered back to our Disneyland trip where with my niece, it's nice to just be able to eat whenever and not have a big meal. But a couple special ones were necessary:

Arrival Evening - 'Ohana - My first trip was in 2009 with my best friend and several other friends. 'Ohana was the only on property restaurant we ate at and we loved it. Thought we should go back for my niece's first trip.

MK Morning - Cinderella's Royal Table - Over priced, I know, but my niece is going to love it. She's four years old and loves everything princess. She's going to be Sleeping Beauty for Halloween. Not because she loves Sleeping Beauty but because it was pink and sparkly.

MK Lunch - Be Our Guest - After those two restaurant prices, most of the rest of the meals will be Quick Service. Why not quick service in a castle? I'm making this trip very focused on princesses. I think we have a lot of Meet and Greets in our future!

I will say I also made a California Grill brunch reservation for the day of departure, but it's just for me. They usually fly out first thing in the morning, so I might stay behind and enjoy brunch. (I should mention we don't live in the same state and will be travelling separately.) We'll see how my flight works out. And my budget. :)

And now we'll get back to the regular Trip Report!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!