Prediction?-Tiered FPs

I agree. The tier system is only there for the other 3 parks because they don't have many rides that people want to do and that usually have a long line. MK has so many options and there are so many different rides that various groups value highly. My 3 FP+are always the 3 mountains because I like thrill rides and those are the closest you can find at MK. Someone with toddlers may get Peter Pan and Pooh. Others may value the grown up dark rides and get POTC and Haunted Mansion. When the Tron coaster comes out it will be no different and won't necessitate tiers. It will just be impossible to get for anyone not staying onsite for a very long time, much like 7DMT was.

and I don't see how having tiers would help as everyone will be picking the TRON coaster as their tier one. I guess then it would make whatever else is a tier 1 easier to get a FP for if you didn't want/couldn't get TRON

Since you can only hold three FP at any given time, there is no need for tiering at TMK unless/until there are two new rides introduced within a short period of time.

I feel like the tiers problem could be fixed property wide if you allowed pre-booking in more than one park. Really all you'd have to do is connect Epcot and DHS, but you could throw in AK too if you wanted. You would probably have to keep the tiers, but could get away with having fewer rides tied to tier one. Allow booking multiple tier 1s across parks, but only one PER park. So you could book Frozen and FoP, but you could not book Frozen and Test Track. But that's probably too complicated.

I feel like the tiers problem could be fixed property wide if you allowed pre-booking in more than one park. Really all you'd have to do is connect Epcot and DHS, but you could throw in AK too if you wanted. You would probably have to keep the tiers, but could get away with having fewer rides tied to tier one. Allow booking multiple tier 1s across parks, but only one PER park. So you could book Frozen and FoP, but you could not book Frozen and Test Track. But that's probably too complicated.

I'd guess that the majority of Park guests visit a single park on most days.

I'd guess that the majority of Park guests visit a single park on most days.

A majority, sure. But I don't think the % of people who park hop is in the low double digits or anything. This could also help sell more park hoppers. I know it will never happen, but just an idea.

Only people that stay off site wants tiers.

I agree, but I might add locals and non-planners. All of us On-Site- In-The-Knowers and hard core planners would take up the fastpasses for the best rides. But I would be okay with that. Why not reward preparedness?:-) That goat from Hoodwinked knew what he was singing about.

(Don't mean to offend any locals or non-planners or off-siters).

Agree with others .. they need to get away from tiers. Add enough RIDE attractions to each park that tiers won't matter.

And with all the changes mentioned I think they will get to that point. They may need temporary tiering like in Pandora ... so EVERYONE doesn't just hit the two new rides.

I like this .. I've said that basically Epcot/DHS should be considered one park at least until Star Wars Land (basically you get ability to book FPs in both parks (without Tiers) and you get a free hopper between the two). Until all these new attractions open up, both parks will really be suffering. DHS currently has 4 "rides" and Epcot only has three "rides" that are high demand (though Mission Space may see a bump with its new "family friendly" change.

I just did my 60 day FP selections and with the limited selections to HS I find it almost impossible to get tickets with this tier system. Wish they would get rid of it all together. I logged in on at 7 am and couldn't get an FP for a party of 4 until late in the day!

I just did my 60 day FP selections and with the limited selections to HS I find it almost impossible to get tickets with this tier system. Wish they would get rid of it all together. I logged in on at 7 am and couldn't get an FP for a party of 4 until late in the day!
Finding 3 things to actually fastpass in that place with tiers is a challenge in itself. Same with Epcot

I like this .. I've said that basically Epcot/DHS should be considered one park at least until Star Wars Land (basically you get ability to book FPs in both parks (without Tiers) and you get a free hopper between the two). Until all these new attractions open up, both parks will really be suffering. DHS currently has 4 "rides" and Epcot only has three "rides" that are high demand (though Mission Space may see a bump with its new "family friendly" change.

I could go for this. We're planning a trip in 2018, before TSL opens, and we don't buy hoppers just to save money. If it was up to me, I would skip DHS completely. But, its my daughter's favorite park, so we're going to go. But it burns me up that there isn't enough that we want to do again at DHS that would fill a full day.

I could go for this. We're planning a trip in 2018, before TSL opens, and we don't buy hoppers just to save money. If it was up to me, I would skip DHS completely. But, its my daughter's favorite park, so we're going to go. But it burns me up that there isn't enough that we want to do again at DHS that would fill a full day.

You may actually save money by getting the hoppers and cutting out a day (i.e. by tacking a few hours of DHS onto one or two of your other days, so you don't have to devote a full day to a half-day park.

You may actually save money by getting the hoppers and cutting out a day (i.e. by tacking a few hours of DHS onto one or two of your other days, so you don't have to devote a full day to a half-day park.

It would depend on the length of the ticket...the hopper upcharge isn't cheap like it used to be...I believe.

Interesting. I wouldn't think the loss of GMR would effect Fast Passes that much. I've never had issues getting an early morning FP for TSMM for a trip as recent as March.

But really .. with a park with only four RIDES -- Rides being the only thing that is "worth" fast passing since you skip a really long queue.

So now .. most parties will pick three of the four rides to Fast Pass ... TSMM/RNRC and then Star Tours and Tower of Terror.
To top that off ..if you can skip three the lines for three of the four rides, that makes a VERY short day unless you want to hit EVERY show.

The new attractions can't come soon enough. I feel bad for people trying to enjoy DHS over the next year.

It would depend on the length of the ticket...the hopper upcharge isn't cheap like it used to be...I believe.
I think it is ridiculously expensive now .. about 3/4 the price of a regular day ticket.

Like $70-75/ticket.

Seems like only worth it if you are on a super long trip where you want a lot of flexible days and bouncing around to catch things you missed on earlier days.

I enjoy the hoppers I have .. but since there were bundled into an affordable 10-day no-expiration ticket, it was practically free. But since they don't sell that type of ticket anymore, I wouldn't get hoppers. I would either choose to add another day or just be content with going to 1 park per day and have a nice big meal at a resort or just relax back at the resort if a park (like DHS) is finished early.

and

lockedoutlogic is correct, its not cheap. Looking at the place where we buy tickets, the difference between the 5 day base ticket we normally get, and the 5 day hopper is $80 per ticket. So for us as a family of four, it would be an additional $320 to get hoppers. If we went 4 days, and hopped to DHS each day, hoppers are still $60 more per ticket. Plus, we go to a park and stay there for the day and don't hop. Upgrading to hoppers is just not an expense that we can afford on our trip.

What we're going to do is to schedule DHS for the last park day, so we can get back early to the room, rest, relax, go out for a nice sit down meal, and then pack. It still burns me up that I'm going to a park where we will go on TSMM and Star Tours. See the Muppets, Indiana Jones, Beauty and the Beast, Frozen Sing Along and then be done for the day.

Last edited:
If they add FP tiers at MK, I'm done with WDW. We enjoyed using FP at Disneyland way too much. We would just decide to visit Disneyland exclusively.

Putting Frozen, Test Track, and Soarin, all on tier 1 was pretty ridiculous as those are technically the ONLY rides that people will come to Epcot for anyway. At least at DHS was smart enough to mix their popular rides between the two tiers. But they need to move one of those Epcot rides to tier 2.

MK would actually be somewhat doable with tiers compared to say Epcot or MGM. Let's say they made 7DMT (Fantasy), SM (Tomorrow), and BTMRR (Frontier/Adventure/Liberty) Tier 1. There's enough stuff in Magic Kingdom to fill 3 days with a tier 1 each day, whereas MGM and Epcot don't really have enough to fill one day without doing all of the headliners.

I hope that Epcot and MGM are eventually able to do away with tiers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter