Preferred campsite or pop century with free dining

AngelaDeeDee

Earning My Ears
Hey I have a preferred campsite reserved for December. I was also interested in free dining so I am interested in Pop Century. We are a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 children ages 3 and 5 . I really want to camp and I'm excited about it. But the free dining makes it a cheaper trip because we have to rent a camper. This is our first trip to Disney so I want to get it right . What are your thoughts... ???? I want the most relaxing and stress free as I can possibly make it. ( for my husband is not too crazy about long lines and long wait times) my gut says camp ground to relax after a day at the parks ! Just needs some advice of experienced Disney folks. Thanks in advance- Angela from Ky

This is a tough one, saving $ and camping are 2 of my favorite things. Are you staying long enough for a split stay? After doing both you would know which one you liked better.

Personally I would choose Pop. I love camping, but I personally don't find it as relaxing as staying in a hotel. Plus at your kids age I think they will really enjoy the theming at Pop. Camping might be more fun/easier when they are a bit older.

We were kicking this idea around too. We've stayed at Pop and my kids really liked it. But we have our own camper, so we are going to keep our camping trip (plus don't want to go during MNSSHP time)
TBH for your case though I'd do Pop. That way you're not having to cook anything, mousekeeping takes care of the beds and no worry about emptying the gray water tank midshower

Angela,

Devout Fort lover here, but, if I was renting a camper, I would go with POP and FD. I'm sure it will save quite a bit of money. The Fort site + rental puts you into Moderate price ranges. There will always be another opportunity to stay at the Fort.

I actually stayed at ASSports in February because the AP discount was so good. It was a break even to fly down and stay at the Value than tow the 1000 miles (each way) and pay nearly the same for a Fort site. Free dining is a double edge sword now with the hopper requirements and rack rate for the room, but if the math works out, take the dining (quick service is pretty good now).

j

Hey I have a preferred campsite reserved for December. I was also interested in free dining so I am interested in Pop Century. We are a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 children ages 3 and 5 . I really want to camp and I'm excited about it. But the free dining makes it a cheaper trip because we have to rent a camper. This is our first trip to Disney so I want to get it right . What are your thoughts... ???? I want the most relaxing and stress free as I can possibly make it. ( for my husband is not too crazy about long lines and long wait times) my gut says camp ground to relax after a day at the parks ! Just needs some advice of experienced Disney folks. Thanks in advance- Angela from Ky
Pop Century for sure! Grab it before it’s gone.

Pop for the win! You better hurry!

Camping is my favorite thing ever, even besides the Fort, and this is a no-brainer for me.

when ours were that age, running off steam at FW campground was a lot easier than a hotel, cooking at the camper isn't that expensive, just my opinion

Thank you all so much for the insight! Can you tell me the difference in riding the boat to magic kingdom from FW versus taking the bus from trhe resort! It just sounds more fun to take a then boat. But if the buses are not that crowded then it wouldn't be so bad. Again thank you everyone one. I'm going to reserve pop with the deposit so I won't lose out!

Since it is your first trip to WDW, I would choose Pop. I am assuming since it is your first time, you will be more into going places instead of chilling at the camper. If you don't splurge for a golf cart, getting around the Fort can be a hassle.

If you want to visit the Fort, take a ferry from Magic Kingdom and time it so you can attend the campfire with Chip and Dale. Your kids will love it.

If you need some down time at Pop...take a stroll over to Art of Animation and enjoy the theming. Your kids might like to see the larger than life characters.

I have stayed at Pop with FD, and rented a camper at Ft W before and with two little ones taking one bus is easier than two so I would go Pop. We also love the dining plan! And agree with others, book it ASAP because availability really is LIMITED.

The Fort is actually my favorite resort at Disney, but with kids that age, I think that they would enjoy Pop even more AND it would be cheaper. Maybe plan a tent camp trip when the kids are a few years older. That's the absolute cheapest way to stay on property and it's a LOT of fun as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thank you all so much for the insight! Can you tell me the difference in riding the boat to magic kingdom from FW versus taking the bus from trhe resort! It just sounds more fun to take a then boat. But if the buses are not that crowded then it wouldn't be so bad. Again thank you everyone one. I'm going to reserve pop with the deposit so I won't lose out!

So, here is where I contradict myself. Earlier I recommended Pop for the kids. But, the boat ride to Magic Kingdom in the morning is one of our favorite things about staying at the Fort. Beautiful and relaxing. Much better than the bus.

So, kids will probably enjoy the theming at Pop more and it would be cheaper. But the Fort would be a better overall experience for the adults and there are aspects that the kids would love as well. Ultimately, how important is it that one option be cheaper?

JMO, of course, but having to rent a camper, plus being your first trip, would make me choose Pop with dining. Camping is the only way we go, but under your circumstance I would wait for a later trip - maybe you'll get your own camper!!
Come over to FW and check it out, then the decision down the road will be easier!! :)

---------------and no worry about emptying the gray water tank midshower

You would be hooked up to sewer there, so no need to hook up and empty mid shower! :confused3
We always close up grey water a day before leaving to have enough water to flush the sewer hose when we empty the black water tank.

For a first trip I would also have to recommend the POP. I took my family for a week in September and we stayed at Sports. It had been many years since
me and the wife had been and never for our kids. The quick serve is really very good and the bus ride is not that bad. We now own a motorhome so the next trip is camping at FW!

Oh, we'll be fine with that. I'm just wondering how many other people are! Guess I'll find out.

You would be hooked up to sewer there, so no need to hook up and empty mid shower! :confused3
We always close up grey water a day before leaving to have enough water to flush the sewer hose when we empty the black water tank.

Hubby never leaves the tanks/lines open, but he usually remembers to keep track how many showers were taken and empties accordingly. We were told while you can leave the hose hooked up, don't leave the line to the gray tank open, something to do w/ back gasses or some weird fluke thing that happened to one of his coworkers??? Maybe that's not the "norm" we thought it was?

Hubby never leaves the tanks/lines open, but he usually remembers to keep track how many showers were taken and empties accordingly. We were told while you can leave the hose hooked up, don't leave the line to the gray tank open, something to do w/ back gasses or some weird fluke thing that happened to one of his coworkers??? Maybe that's not the "norm" we thought it was?

Really? Have never heard of that! We've always hooked our grey water up (not black) for 45 years and never once had an issue. Not saying it couldn't happen, just never have had problems or heard of any. We just remember to close it to let tank fill somewhat to flush the line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter