Priceline- what area??????

chip64

Mouseketeer
Having never used Priceline, I have a lot of ????. First of all, if I want to try and get the Swan and Dolphin for instance, what area do I pick? Now the airfare thing is pretty clear, but picking a hotel in the WDW area is a little fuzzy to me and we need all the help anyone can give us! Thanks folks, Chip&Janet.

I think the folks on the Budget Board have the best advice. I know someone recently was trying for DD and ended up with a hotel in Kissimmee because of not picking the area just right. I think this link will take you to the budget board.

Budget Board

OUCH that was me. Don't use priceline trying to get S&D or DTD. Kissimmee is part of that area & it is not written on the map. You must compare PL map with a real map.

You can request the WDW area and a 4star or resort level room and you are pretty much going to only the resorts in DTD. Its when you add 3 Star that you get risky. You will not S/D as that has not been seen in a while.

Priceline is GREAT if you do your homework. Those who don't, generally are disapointed with what they get. You can learn a lot from this site:

Priceline Bidding Forum

Unless you are very lucky, the chances are you will be off site if you use Priceline. You could end up like I did - with a great hotel if you are looking for privacy, but completely sucked for Disney vacations ($7 per day per person for a shuttle that operated every other hour). I will never again use Price line. According to the "experts", the hotel we got from Priceline was supposed to be much, much better than the All Stars. After 2 days at this "wonderful" hotel (we had paid for 3), we left and went to All Star Sports. I would much, much rather do the All Stars than taking a risk on PriceLine. It is a definate risk. I wouldn't do it unless you have money to burn. Our "good deal" on Priceline cost us about $50 more per day than it would have cost at the All Stars (after they added on their fees not covered by Priceline). Good luck.

We used priceline in May for a two night stay near Sea World - before we went on-site at the all-stars. We had a great experience. We stayed at the Omni Rosen Hotel for $25 a night. There was an American Express deal going on at the time where they would add $20 to your bid if you payed with your Amex card. So we actually bid $45. This was a BEAUTIFUL hotel and the cheepest room was normally $200 a night. However, we were bidding to be near Universal/Sea World area. And we really didn't care where we ended up, as long as it was 4 stars. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you can have a good experience with priceline.

Chip,

If you have your heart set on a particular hotel, then Priceline is not for you :(.

Priceline is fantastic for people who are flexible and willing to do a bit of homework. It's not for everyone. In this thread alone there are people who either love it or hate it. I have had very good luck with PL both on airfares and hotels. I've stayed in Orlando (Resort* and 4*: MOWC, Wyndham Palace, 3*: Wyndham Orlando, Sheraton World, 2*: Sheraton 4 Points, 1*: Travelodge), St Louis(3*: Sheraton Westpoint) , Anaheim (3* Anaheim Hilton Suites), and Chicago (4* Chicgao Hilton and Towers). I've flown to Newark, Nashville and Orlando. I have always been treated fairly and with respect even through I was saving a boatload of money ;).

Check out the Swan and Dolphin FAQ over on the Resorts Board for available discounts.

MJames41 said:

I would much, much rather do the All Stars than taking a risk on PriceLine. It is a definate risk. I wouldn't do it unless you have money to burn. Our "good deal" on Priceline cost us about $50 more per day than it would have cost at the All Stars (after they added on their fees not covered by Priceline).

I would say that your problems are more of a function of staying off-site than bidding on Priceline. Off-site hotels generally have additional "resort fees" and spotty transportation to the parks, sometimes at an additional charge. If you had booked the Marriott Orlando World Center through Marriott's web site you still would have had to pay those same additional charges.

I wanted to try for Hard Rock or Portifino Bay at Universal. So I put in resort only in that area. I didn't get them, (and I don't think they offer those hotels), but I did get the Renissanse Marriott across from Sea World and it was absolutely beautiful. I got it for $99 a night. I think the rooms usually go for $160-200. I probably could of bid lower but I was trying to get the other hotels. Anyway it was our best hotel out of 10 nights. I agree with the previous poster, if you are willing to be flexible with the location to some degree you will end up with a good deal. I have only bid 4 star or resort and I know then I will get a great hotel. I will use them again. That discussion board on priceline really helped me understand the zones and stuff after I bid. So next time I am going to check out that board. For me it worked out fine anyway. Good luck!

swranich,

FWIW, I have not seen the Portifino Bay or the Hard Rock come up on Priceline. It has been many months since I've seen the Renissanse Marriott. I'm glad to hear that you had a good stay :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter