Princess Weekend 2021

Can someone give me a breakdown of this race weekend for a COMPLETE newbie? I was super excited about this (and had talked my SIL into doing it with me) and then the Corona happened, and now all of our planning is up in the air. So, I'm doing more information gathering.

From what I've read, the 5k is a fun-run with character pics along the way? And lots (all?) of the runners really dress up for it? Is the 10k pretty much the same or is it a bit more 'running' focused? Can one of us register for both of us, or are they individual registrations? I'm assuming there are no refunds unless Disney cancels the races? Also SIL is a teacher, so her missing school is a bit more cumbersome. I think the best way for us to make the trip would be to fly out late Thursday night for the Saturday 10k (so we can actually get some sleep). Would that work for picking up bibs, etc on Friday, or do you HAVE to pick everything up sooner? Anything else I'm missing?

Can someone give me a breakdown of this race weekend for a COMPLETE newbie? I was super excited about this (and had talked my SIL into doing it with me) and then the Corona happened, and now all of our planning is up in the air. So, I'm doing more information gathering.

From what I've read, the 5k is a fun-run with character pics along the way? And lots (all?) of the runners really dress up for it? Is the 10k pretty much the same or is it a bit more 'running' focused? Can one of us register for both of us, or are they individual registrations? I'm assuming there are no refunds unless Disney cancels the races? Also SIL is a teacher, so her missing school is a bit more cumbersome. I think the best way for us to make the trip would be to fly out late Thursday night for the Saturday 10k (so we can actually get some sleep). Would that work for picking up bibs, etc on Friday, or do you HAVE to pick everything up sooner? Anything else I'm missing?
Hi! This very helpful post should answer some of your questions on registration:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/rundisney-events-and-registration-faq.3538323/#post-56322176
You do have to be at the expo at least the day before your first race, the official line is that there is no race-day bib pickup.

People do run in costume, it's fun to do, and it's fun to see everyone else's creative ideas! But it's by no means a requirement. You will definitely NOT feel like the only person who actually wore a costume at the office Halloween party if you do dress up. My impression is that more people do than don't?

You have to keep to a 16 min mile or faster, including character stops. Or I should say the very last people to start the race need to keep that pace, they start that time from the last person to cross the start line. So if you start ahead of the very last people, you get that time buffer on top of the 16 min mile. For some people that means running the whole time, and for others it doesn't. Depends on your running or walking speed. I have never participated in a 5k or been swept at any race but my understanding is that they are much more serious about sweeping people in the 10k that fall behind the 16 min mile from the last starter.

No refunds in my experience, if you can't do it, you can't do it. Are they offering race insurance now? That's a possibility but someone else will need to answer that. Definitely check out this pinned thread, it's very informative.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/rundisney-events-and-registration-faq.3538323
Edited because I accidentally said "No refunds in my opinion" but meant "No refunds in my *experience*!" Big difference! My opinion is refunds for all because I don't work for runDisney and don't have to deal with it!

Last edited:
From what I've read, the 5k is a fun-run with character pics along the way? And lots (all?) of the runners really dress up for it? Is the 10k pretty much the same or is it a bit more 'running' focused? Can one of us register for both of us, or are they individual registrations? I'm assuming there are no refunds unless Disney cancels the races? Also SIL is a teacher, so her missing school is a bit more cumbersome. I think the best way for us to make the trip would be to fly out late Thursday night for the Saturday 10k (so we can actually get some sleep). Would that work for picking up bibs, etc on Friday, or do you HAVE to pick everything up sooner?
I've never run Princess, but I have run a few other runDisney race weekends on both coasts.

1. You will see a lot of runners in elaborate costumes, some runners in themed running apparel, but not a costume per se, and runners wearing normal running clothes. Whatever you choose would not be out of place. I once ran a Marvel themed race at Disneyland dressed as Batman being trained by Yoda. (Batman is owned by a different comic book company). At worst there was very good natured teasing.

They do sweep at the 5K, but it involves moving you further along the course and allowing you to finish.

2. The 10K is a bit more serious, but not dramatically so. Still a lot of costumes and more character stops. If you are at any risk of being swept, they will warn you and tell you. They will not suddenly pull you aside and tell you that you have been swept. They will give you an opportunity to stay ahead of or at pace with the sweep point. Remember that time spent waiting in line for photos counts toward the pace requirement. So if you ran a mile in 10 minutes, but spent 15 minutes in line for a character, you really ran that mile in 25 minutes. Corral placement matters. Last corral means you have less cushion. I started the WDW 10K from the last corral this year. I had no time to stop for character photos. While I knew I would be fine pace wise, I also accepted that meant no character photos that day. I also deliberately took it slow since I was running Dopey and knew that the heat meant I should preserve as much energy as I could.

3. Flying out Thursday night, Expo on Friday, and the race on Saturday will work just fine for the 10K. You may want to preorder any merchandise such as pins, jackets, magnets if that's important to you so you don't run the risk of having it sell out at the Expo before you get there.

4. Refunds. While the official runDisney policy says no refunds, I have heard of instances where at least partial refunds were given. They always applied when people got injured shortly before the race or had a personal tragedy such as a major illness or death in the family. Either way I would not expect a refund unless Disney has to cancel the race.

Good luck and if you decide to race, have fun!

I ran my second ever 10k today in 58 minutes and 14 seconds (my first being 3 weeks ago in 58 minutes and 13 seconds). I stepped up from 5k with the aim of running the Princess 10k next February and I'm so glad I did as I don't think I would have done it without that amazing incentive to spur me on.

I am hoping and praying my dream becomes a reality, but who knows what the world will be like for us all after COVID-19. As a nurse, I suppose I should just be happy to make it through, but we all needs to have dreams and goals for the future, and the Princess 10k is still mine.

So I have now transitioned to the run/walk training method after doing a complete couch to 5k training program. I have completed 2 weeks of run/walk training. I'm on week 8 of the 18 week galloway plan. I'm "enjoying" the run/walk more and more each time. But, I'm confused by the weeks where I'm "only" running 30 minutes on all three days. What is my goal for these 30 minute runs? Should I be getting faster/running longer distances? Thanks!

So I have now transitioned to the run/walk training method after doing a complete couch to 5k training program. I have completed 2 weeks of run/walk training. I'm on week 8 of the 18 week galloway plan. I'm "enjoying" the run/walk more and more each time. But, I'm confused by the weeks where I'm "only" running 30 minutes on all three days. What is my goal for these 30 minute runs? Should I be getting faster/running longer distances? Thanks!

Based on your comments, you're following the Galloway 10k plan, correct?

https://www.rundisney.com/running-training-programs/https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...ning-programs/runDisney-10K-Training-Plan.pdf
The purpose of the weeks where you have 3x30 min workouts is recovery. Recovery plays a vital role in absorbing the training. The body goes through a procedure of stimulus (the run) -> recovery -> adaptation. If you don't allow the body to properly recover after a run, then you blunt the bodies ability to adapt to the training. You get stuck in a pattern of stimulus -X failed recovery -X stimulus.

These 3x30 weeks serve as a way to balance maintaining a training load and yet allowing a runner to recover and adapt to the training. As your running journey continues, your needs for recovery will change. This comes after you've had successive training plans that allow you to adapt and get stronger. As an example, an elite runner typically trains 6-7 days per week typically with double workouts every day. This isn't something that someone could just start up from new. It has to be progressively built up to after years. But in order to continue to increase the adaptations the elite runners seek they manipulate the bodies recovery cycle and just like you walk a fine line between "enough" and "too much" for their current situation.

So while it seems like in the moment you could do more, be patient with the process and it'll pay off after months and years of effort. Endurance is a sport for patience and the long haul.

So I finished the Couch (Quarantine) to 5k program Tuesday and continued onto Week 9, Day 1 of the 10k program! No words for how absolutely amazing I feel with this accomplishment. I look back at the person in my avi picture - had just finished my first Princess 5k (2017), but still had cervical spine surgery looming a couple months later, followed by cardio thoracic surgery less than 2 years after that. I'm in my 40s now, but I feel SO much better than I did then!

Going for it! Booked the 10k for myself and my sister through a TA today. Woop woop! The only way it could get better is if Disney puts out a big fat room promo to make it cheaper. :cool1::cool1::banana::jumping1:
This option is getting VERY tempting...

So I finished the Couch (Quarantine) to 5k program Tuesday and continued onto Week 9, Day 1 of the 10k program! No words for how absolutely amazing I feel with this accomplishment. I look back at the person in my avi picture - had just finished my first Princess 5k (2017), but still had cervical spine surgery looming a couple months later, followed by cardio thoracic surgery less than 2 years after that. I'm in my 40s now, but I feel SO much better than I did then!
Congrats!!! I’m at the same exact week as you!!! But I changed from the C25K to Galloway. Week 9 of 18. Great job!

Wading into the murky waters of estimated finish times(10k). Since I have basically a year to get ready for this, what should I be shooting for as far as time goes to get placed somewhere in the middle (or the back of the middle 1/3) for corrals based on historical data? I’m not looking to just conjure up a random time for my registration, but I do need to know what to shoot for.

Also, what is the weather typically like? I know last year was “unusually” cold but I’m curious if it’s more like tank top and shorts or long sleeve and tights weather. Or if I should plan for either.

Wading into the murky waters of estimated finish times(10k). Since I have basically a year to get ready for this, what should I be shooting for as far as time goes to get placed somewhere in the middle (or the back of the middle 1/3) for corrals based on historical data? I’m not looking to just conjure up a random time for my registration, but I do need to know what to shoot for.

That's a really tough question to answer because each year has a new pool of runners that submit new estimated finish times. So it's likely to depend greatly on the runners on a year to year basis. With that being said, using HM/M assignments during Marathon Weekend over the last 6 years does show some consistent trends. When Marathon Weekend Dopey bibs used to be assigned 5k/10k corral placement based on their POT (and 5k/10k solo runners were still estimated finish times), I came up with the following estimates. But I can't say anymore whether this historical data will be accurate moving forward.

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 8.38.23 AM.png

Edit to add: The 5k has since moved to 3 corrals.

Also, what is the weather typically like? I know last year was “unusually” cold but I’m curious if it’s more like tank top and shorts or long sleeve and tights weather. Or if I should plan for either.

Plan for everything. Below is a historical snapshot of Feb 21st from the last five years using weather underground's historical data:

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 8.50.03 AM.png

A Temp+Dew of 80-100 is cold/comfortable/ideal running weather for most, but individual's vary. I personally start to "notice" the T+D when it gets above 130. But I also live in WI and am less acclimated to the heat conditions. In my evaluation of these conditions, I would say 3/5 years were good, 2/5 years were ok, and nothing is necessarily bad. I race in shorts at 25F or more and in a tank at 35F or more. So all five years I would have been in shorts/tank.

Last edited:
So, I ran 12-14 min miles - 2019 for the 5k, I put down 11-12 instead, and it was a good fit. Only had to dodge people a few times and was able to run most of the race.

So.... anyone else planning to use ALL the Internet connected devices to try and register for Princess after the shut out that was Marathon Weekend? Time to dust off the 10 year old tablet!

Definitely a little more nervous about registration than I've ever been before after watching all of that today and last Thursday, that's for sure!

So.... anyone else planning to use ALL the Internet connected devices to try and register for Princess after the shut out that was Marathon Weekend? Time to dust off the 10 year old tablet!

I know, right?!!! I am part of a group of 8 women who want to run the Princess Half. I am wondering what the odds are that we all get registered..... I am DVC so will try to grab my spot at early registration.

Can anyone confirm the early registration date for the Princess Half?
Is it June 11 @ 9am EST?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter