Probably a Silly Question

k8Davies

K8Davies
Probably as silly question as I know how great Disney is.

Also I was debating what thread to put this in, but I though if any peeps had any first hand experience it would be here.

Now I say it's a silly question as I am assuming it will all be fine but before I start finalizing my ADR plans so I all ready (nowhere near finished yet but I am hopefully) in a few weeks when my window opens - I was thinking of booking an ADR for 50's Prime Time Cafe.

Now I know they tell you off for looking at your phone but if I speak to CM, when I check, in they won't have a problem if my son (with ASD) has his Ipad out on the table as it helps at meal times to keep him slightly more focused Well for a short while anyway.

(I'm sure they won't have any issues but I got a bit worried and then started to stress and so I thought I'd come here for reassurance :) )

Also does anyone know if they have booths as that really helps as it's a bit quieter for him.

I don't recall seeing any booths, but you can certainly ask for a quiet table. I don't see any reason why he can't have his iPad - as long as you don't have the sound on as that would be extremely inconsiderate for the other diners.

Probably as silly question as I know how great Disney is.

Also I was debating what thread to put this in, but I though if any peeps had any first hand experience it would be here.

Now I say it's a silly question as I am assuming it will all be fine but before I start finalizing my ADR plans so I all ready (nowhere near finished yet but I am hopefully) in a few weeks when my window opens - I was thinking of booking an ADR for 50's Prime Time Cafe.

Now I know they tell you off for looking at your phone but if I speak to CM, when I check, in they won't have a problem if my son (with ASD) has his Ipad out on the table as it helps at meal times to keep him slightly more focused Well for a short while anyway.

(I'm sure they won't have any issues but I got a bit worried and then started to stress and so I thought I'd come here for reassurance :) )

Also does anyone know if they have booths as that really helps as it's a bit quieter for him.
It isn't a matter of allowing him to have it out that is not a problem it is the "theme" for the servers to tell you to "have manners" and put it away. Just let the hostess know you don't want to participate and reiterate it with the hostess who seats you so they can tell your server and you will be fine

as long as you don't have the sound on as that would be extremely inconsiderate for the other diners.
- Don't worry if he want the sound on he has headphones :)

It isn't a matter of allowing him to have it out that is not a problem it is the "theme" for the servers to tell you to "have manners" and put it away. Just let the hostess know you don't want to participate and reiterate it with the hostess who seats you so they can tell your server and you will be fin

The rest of the group will want to participate especially, with my FIL, as he needs telling about his manner lol :crazy:

I think as long as I tell them not to include him we should be okay.

As I know the servers are always so good and so focused on customer service, but he is still young because of the ASD doesn't really get pretend so much, so he might think they were telling him off. And I wouldn't want him or the server, for just playing, feeling bad.

As other posters mentioned, there are no booths. There are some tables with a bench along the wall at one side and chairs on the other side that might work for your situation.

But, each 'kitchen' area includes multiple tables and, even if your table is not participating, he will hear others being 'reprimanded' by servers. If some of your group is participating, will he be OK with hearing others at your table being told to do things like keep their elbows off the table, eat all their vegetables, etc?

I don't know if you've done social stories with him, but this would be a good social story.
Social stories are short descriptions of situations that give information about what to expect, how it might feel, etc.
They can be in storybook or video forma. Both are helpful because the child can look at them over and over to get comfortable with the situation. This is a link to a general one about eating in a restaurant:
https://www.childrens-specialized.o...iends-with-Autism-Social-Story-Restaurant.pdf

There are specialized apps for social stories, but you can actually use any word processing or presentation software/app to create one.

You could get photos on the internet of the actual restaurant and add specific info about how the servers interact with the customers. Common things I know the servers do/say include calling themselves a cousin or aunt, talking about manners - no elbows on table, no talking with mouth full, sit up straight, eat slower, chew food before swallowing; talking about food - eat all your vegetables, clean your plate, no dessert without eating main dish.

I don't know if you've done social stories with him, but this would be a good social story.

We have just started social stories but due to his age they are very basic.

If some of your group is participating, will he be OK with hearing others at your table being told to do things like keep their elbows off the table, eat all their vegetables, etc?

Think he'll be okay with others being corrected about their manner as the amount of time currently his Granddad (FIL) gets told off by Nana (MIL) I think the servers would be mild in comparison.

I of course will not be corrected as I have impeccable manner - I'm like a younger version of the Dowager Countess from Downton Abby lol :rotfl:

It all sounds like it's going to be okay - as I said in the OP I just started to worry (unnecessary) as, like with everyone, just want to make sure my Vacay is the best it can be.

I always get hyped up near the planning stage even before I had my Son. Although now I have to add in the extra layer of his condition I tend to go crazy and I find it hard to find a balance between what I should worry about and what I shouldn't.

That's why I love these boards, as my family and friend say "no it'll be fine" but as they don't have differently-able kids, it's nice to ask people who understand the nuances of traveling to WDW with their fantastic differently-abled kiddie Winks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!