Probably Canceling Last Minute -Holding Account Questions

Golden Rose

Princess by Choice
I shattered my elbow and had to have reconstruction surgery a couple of weeks ago. The PT is not going as well as hoped, and so between the pain and the much needed PT, our planned WDW trip is not looking like a good idea.

We've never had points in holding before. I know I can only book normal DVC rooms at the last minute, but it looks like I can use them in the Disney Collection? We are looking at a trip to Disneyland this summer. Could I use them there at the Disneyland resort or the GC in a regular room?

Feeling a little sad and frustrated...

If your points are qualified to use in the Disney collection then yes you could use them for the Disney Collection but you'll still be restricted to 60 days before check in I believe. All based on availability of course to trade into GC.

Cancelling a vacation is always sad but I hope you heal up well. And holding points aren't the end of the world!

If your points are qualified to use in the Disney collection then yes you could use them for the Disney Collection but you'll still be restricted to 60 days before check in I believe. All based on availability of course to trade into GC.

Cancelling a vacation is always sad but I hope you heal up well. And holding points aren't the end of the world!

Question:
IF you have the points for it (not in holding) couldn’t you just plan for a trip in i.e September and once within the 60 day window reallocate the reservation with the holding points?

A September trip assumes you have an October or December UY.

Question:
IF you have the points for it (not in holding) couldn’t you just plan for a trip in i.e September and once within the 60 day window reallocate the reservation with the holding points?.................
Not unless there is still availability for those nights.

OP - - Hope your recovery picks up soon.

I would contact MS and plead on their mercy explaining your medical reason for the cancellation. Often they will make exceptions and allow you points to be moved to their prior status.

:earsboy: Bill

I would contact MS and plead on their mercy explaining your medical reason for the cancellation. Often they will make exceptions and allow you points to be moved to their prior status.

Agree with Bill. I had to cancel due to dh having pneumonia one year. I didn’t even plead my case. They just restored the points for me. It was very Kingdom me of them and I truly appreciated the gesture. Can’t say it will for sure work out for you, but it’s worth a try.

Regarding holding points, I have had points go into holding before. Never had trouble booking at sixty days. Usually a one or two bedroom at OKW.

Agree with Bill. I had to cancel due to dh having pneumonia one year. I didn’t even plead my case. They just restored the points for me. It was very Kingdom me of them and I truly appreciated the gesture. Can’t say it will for sure work out for you, but it’s worth a try.

Regarding holding points, I have had points go into holding before. Never had trouble booking at sixty days. Usually a one or two bedroom at OKW.

Really? I was hospitalized for an emergency surgery for 3 weeks in April on year that ruined my breathing and caused problems walking so I need PT, but DVC wouldn't return my points to our account. But then we didn't really expect it. I was just grateful that it happened early in our UY and the doctor released me to travel before food and wine rolled around as nothing was available from the end of September through mid January, no way would we get something 60 days out during that period. We ended up going in late July and early August, we booked it before my doctor released me just in case.

But it never hurts to ask if they don't offer.

Really? I was hospitalized for an emergency surgery for 3 weeks in April on year that ruined my breathing and caused problems walking so I need PT, but DVC wouldn't return my points to our account. But then we didn't really expect it. I was just grateful that it happened early in our UY and the doctor released me to travel before food and wine rolled around as nothing was available from the end of September through mid January, no way would we get something 60 days out during that period. We ended up going in late July and early August, we booked it before my doctor released me just in case.

Yes. It worked out very well for us. I didn’t even have to ask. I figured that the points would go into holding, as per the rules. There was another time we had to cancel due to illness and those points went into holding. I did not even ask for accommodation, as I knew the rules. We later booked with ease at sixty days out. Not sure what time of year, but I think it was March for the rescheduled trip.

In my case my mother passed away just a little over a week before our trip - and she was supposed to be going on it. All I got was "have a magical day" when I called to explain why I was modifying our reservation.

In my case my mother passed away just a little over a week before our trip - and she was supposed to be going on it. All I got was "have a magical day" when I called to explain why I was modifying our reservation.
That’s terrible. They should really keep circumstances in mind.

This happened to me in 2016. I had an unexpected hospital stay in mid December and doctors did not want me to travel. Had to call and cancel our 1st ever NYE trip. We have a Feb UY and there was no possible way we would be able to use those points had they been placed in holding. MS offered to put them back in our account and bank them. I did not have to ask. Of course your experience may vary but I have found that if you don't demand or expect exceptions or special treatment MS can be very kind.

We had a trip in November of 2016 with family. I booked two rooms...one for myself and my brother's family, and another for my mom and dad, all for 5 nights Thanksgiving Week.

My parents only stayed for two of the five nights in their room at Bay Lake Tower. My mom wasn't feeling well and they left and headed back home. I notified DVC about the issue a few weeks later, asking if anything could be done so I could plan another trip in the future, and they happily restored the points. My mom passed away a few weeks later from cancer so I never got the chance to book something for them in the future.

So I guess it really does depend on who you deal with as I contacted DVC all via email for this.

You are dealing with people and each MS Advisor has their own way about them. That is why we only deal with our preferred CM by calling him directly when necessary. Same with the resorts, get to know the CM's and who to contact when something goes wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter