Probably done with Disney World as a family Vacation

I never understood why people plan so much for Disney. We're going next week and I just booked rooms and park reservations yesterday. I don't have ADR for popular restaurants, but I'm confident that the last-minute cancelations from other guests will give us plenty of choices. G+ and iLL will allow us to go on most, if not all desirable rides. Understandably it costs a bit more, but the experience is also much better.

I never understood why people plan so much for Disney. We're going next week and I just booked rooms and park reservations yesterday. I don't have ADR for popular restaurants, but I'm confident that the last-minute cancelations from other guests will give us plenty of choices. G+ and iLL will allow us to go on most, if not all desirable rides. Understandably it costs a bit more, but the experience is also much better.

Do you go to Disney often? I hear this from people who do Disney every year or multiple times a year.

For some they have a once in a lifetime trip or once every 5-10 or more years so they want a certain hotel, specific ADRs, BBB, fireworks party, fireworks cruise, etc. These must be planned in advance if you want to guarantee you will get what you want.

We go every 2-3ish years. Since we don't go often there are specific things I want to do. I also like to have a while to make payments on my package. Now that my daughter is older, it's just us two that go, and we've been about 6-7 times, I'm not that crazed about ADRs and other add ons but there are still certain things we enjoy doing so we book ahead. I was one of those up at 6 am to book BOG, BBB and CRT for my daughter. And the pirate cruise for my son. Had we went every year or multiple times a year I would've been much more laid back.

Do you go to Disney often? I hear this from people who do Disney every year or multiple times a year.

For some they have a once in a lifetime trip or once every 5-10 or more years so they want a certain hotel, specific ADRs, BBB, fireworks party, fireworks cruise, etc. These must be planned in advance if you want to guarantee you will get what you want.

We go every 2-3ish years. Since we don't go often there are specific things I want to do. I also like to have a while to make payments on my package. Now that my daughter is older, it's just us two that go, and we've been about 6-7 times, I'm not that crazed about ADRs and other add ons but there are still certain things we enjoy doing so we book ahead. I was one of those up at 6 am to book BOG, BBB and CRT for my daughter. And the pirate cruise for my son. Had we went every year or multiple times a year I would've been much more laid back.
I could see this being the case for guests who are visiting once every few years, a lot changes from trip to trip and that learning curve may get them. We are a state away and drive and go somewhat often but not as often as we did before. However, some things do change, like VQs, which rides are iLL$, etc, even in just a month or several months' time. Yes, I don't have as much to learn as someone who hasn't been for years, but I enjoy taking the time to plan and map out what's changed, picking our resort, mapping out which parks we want to do, etc. For the most part, planning is what I actually do enjoy. We also travel abroad, and planning those trips takes much more time since they're new adventures for us unlike the familiarity of Disney.

I also think the people that are doing their once in a lifetime trip, sadly, have unrealistic expectations and think their family will be the only family in front of the castle at fireworks. This is a recipe for disaster especially when they visit during peak season.

Last edited:

Yes, I go 2 to 3 times a year (except for 2020). Maybe that's why I'm being nonchalant about the whole thing. I always have such a good time that I keep coming back.

Yes, I go 2 to 3 times a year (except for 2020). Maybe that's why I'm being nonchalant about the whole thing. I always have such a good time that I keep coming back.
I see both sides. We go at least once a year and the last two trips were fabulous last minute getaways. We got every ADR we wanted and had a blast.

But, for a once every few years or in a lifetime, I can definitely see where planning is probably a must. But then, so are reasonable expectations.

I disagree. I don't find planning a Disney trip to be anywhere close to be as complicated as any other trip. To go to WDW, I book my flights, hotel and transportation to and from, which you would do with any vacation. I have an AP, but even buying tickets takes all of 30 seconds. And then the only thing left is park reservations, which is no different then having to figure out what parks you wanted to go to to book your advanced FP. It sounds as if you are just not very keen on going to WDW and so it feels more like a chore to you. That is completely different than it being logistically different.
And honestly, everyone should spend months planning a trip to someplace that they have never been to, especially if you are going to another Country, before you even consider booking. People don't do that. That might be why Americans get such a bad rap about being bad tourists, their lack of knowledge.
You're making a number of unfounded (and insulting) assumptions about the way we travel and spend our vacations.

We're not WDW APs, nor are we a cadre of uneducated rubes who galivant around the globe without doing months of research into every destination and its customs and culture. I love visiting WDW -- what I was complaining about was the increased level of planning it requires, not the parks.

Our WDW trips are few and far between, and we want to do everything while we're there without standing in long lines, because we appreciate that our vacation time is valuable -- something that Disney makes harder for us every time, but so far we've always been able to accomplish. That means that for a Disney trip, every step of every touring plan -- every attraction, every meal, every hour of every day -- is planned in detail, with back-up plans to cover all eventualities (e.g., arriving at a park to find our first intended attraction is down), and give us flexibility whenever we want to divert from the plan. The planning begins more than a year ahead of time, when we're requesting vacation time at work, choosing dates and hotels, and doing initial booking of our air travel and resort, and then continues on a prodigiously frequent basis thereafter, as we keep up with discounts that can be applied, take note of changes in park hours, EE/EEH, ticket usage rules, virtual queues, changes to the roster of G+/ILL attractions, construction, refurbs, new restaurants, menu changes, ticket price increases, dining reservation rule changes, ground transportation pricing fluctuations, the impact of G+ on standby lines for crowds of different levels, etc.

As a more frequent visitor who perhaps isn't trying to do everything with a short wait every time you go to WDW, and who thus has an easier time keeping abreast of changes between trips, obviously the amount of planning for you is significantly less. That doesn't make my experience, or my feelings about it, any less valuable or valid than yours.

Last edited:
I never understood why people plan so much for Disney.
Perhaps you would understand if you went once every two or three years. Or if it were your first time. Or your first time in 10 years.

I'm with you; I used to go once or twice a year so getting that popular restaurant wasn't such a big deal for me. But I understand why getting into that popular restaurant is a big part of a WDW trip for a lot of people.

You and I (and many others) are fortunate to go so often. Most likely you're like me and have either already experienced some of the most popular restaurants or, maybe, just not interested in some of them, so don't have to plan that ADR 60 days out.

Honestly no, I haven't had to do the same level of mirco planning for international trips to have a good time, but then again I don't go on those with a large group of people either.
This blows my mind because there is no way that I am going ANYWHERE without doing a whole ton of research. Disney is on par or easier to plan than any other place. You don't NEED to get Genie+, you don't need to book sit down dinners, etc. It is as easy or as complicated as you want to get. But there is no way that I am going to another Country and not doing months of research, especially about local customs and laws. You should be researching where it is safe to go, the typical hours for things, where the US Embassy is, where to get help if you need it. The problem is not that planning is easier for the other places that you listed, the problem is that most don't do the research that they SHOULD do. That is a HUGE difference.

You're making a number of unfounded (and insulting) assumptions about the way we travel and spend our vacations.

We're not WDW APs, nor are we a cadre of uneducated rubes who galivant around the globe without doing months of research into every destination and its customs and culture. I love visiting WDW -- what I was complaining about was the increased level of planning it requires, not the parks.

Our WDW trips are few and far between, and we want to do everything while we're there without standing in long lines, because we appreciate that our vacation time is valuable -- something that Disney makes harder for us every time, but so far we've always been able to accomplish. That means that for a Disney trip, every step of every touring plan -- every attraction, every meal, every hour of every day -- is planned in detail, with back-up plans to cover all eventualities (e.g., arriving at a park to find our first intended attraction is down), and give us flexibility whenever we want to divert from the plan. The planning begins more than a year ahead of time, when we're requesting vacation time at work, choosing dates and hotels, and doing initial booking of our air travel and resort, and then continues on a prodigiously frequent basis thereafter, as we keep up with discounts that can be applied, take note of changes in park hours, EE/EEH, ticket usage rules, virtual queues, changes to the roster of G+/ILL attractions, construction, refurbs, new restaurants, menu changes, ticket price increases, dining reservation rule changes, ground transportation pricing fluctuations, the impact of G+ on standby lines for crowds of different levels, etc.

As a more frequent visitor who perhaps isn't trying to do everything with a short wait every time you go to WDW, and who thus has an easier time keeping abreast of changes between trips, obviously the amount of planning for you is significantly less. That doesn't make my experience, or my feelings about it, any less valuable than yours.
But you would do that type of planning for many places. That is the crux here. Disney is not unique in this. Unless you just plan to go to a resort and hang out there, most locations require this level of planning. That is the point.

This blows my mind because there is no way that I am going ANYWHERE without doing a whole ton of research. Disney is on par or easier to plan than any other place. You don't NEED to get Genie+, you don't need to book sit down dinners, etc. It is as easy or as complicated as you want to get. But there is no way that I am going to another Country and not doing months of research, especially about local customs and laws. You should be researching where it is safe to go, the typical hours for things, where the US Embassy is, where to get help if you need it. The problem is not that planning is easier for the other places that you listed, the problem is that most don't do the research that they SHOULD do. That is a HUGE difference.
I think you might just have to accept that everyone has different expriences/goals/ways of doing things, and that's OK. I don't find your viewpoints any less valuable than mine, nor am I discourging anyone from Disney. Just speaking on my experience. I appreciate your input.

I think you might just have to accept that everyone has different expriences/goals/ways of doing things, and that's OK. I don't find your viewpoints any less valuable than mine, nor am I discourging anyone from Disney. Just speaking on my experience. I appreciate your input.
Great conversation.

To be honest, I agree with some of your points and disagree with others. And as you've said, that's OK!! We personally are fortunate to go often and are usually up on the changes that Disney seems to implement every other week. We still have not gotten to the point where they deter us from enjoying our trips there. We love it. But I do have to say, as we prepare for a trip with people who have never gone before - what a nightmare for those folks if they didn't have the help of experienced visitors traveling with them. I expect my outlook on Disney vacations would be very, very different for a OIAL trip.

A lot of people didn't like the digital fp system either because it also increased screen time. The fp system was also much simpler and slightly more intuative, at least it was to me. You also could make 3 fast pass reservations in advance, so even if you didn't make any more reservations you at least had those 3 rides lined up.
And it was free...

I think my family is done with Disney, and I'm kind of sad about it to be honest.
The rest of my family has been done with Disney for several years now. I still want to go, but I don't do long lines and I don't want to wake up for 7am every day, so I am waiting to see if a slow season magically appears again someday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter