Proposal Trip Report - Ferrytale Fireworks Cruise

wareagle57

DIS Veteran
This past weekend, with the help of Disney CMs and this board, I was able to pull off a proposal that my future wife and I will remember for the rest of our lives. I knew I wanted to propose at Disney, but I wanted to something somewhat unique that she would not be expecting. I also wanted to do it as early in the trip as possible so I would be able to enjoy the rest of the trip and not stress about the ring ect. I've always wanted to do a firework cruise, so when I saw this one was starting up again just in time for our trip, I decided to pull the trigger.

I was nervous about whether there would be Photopass photographers on board or if I'd be able to co-ordinate with them once we got there, so a poster on this board, @AshleyP13 and her husband offered to help us out. Thanks again you guys!

This was a last minute trip, booked by my aunt who is a new DVC member. This was actually her first trip to WDW since she was a kid. She booked a 1 Bedroom Villa at Old Key West resort. It was my first time staying DVC and my first time staying in any type of villa. We were blown away by how beautiful the resort was. The view from our balcony overlooking the golf course and lake was breathtaking and the room (which looks to be newly renovated) was spacious and amazing.

We are normally rope drop to close people and have never seen any reason to stay anywhere other than value. I've dreamed of staying at The Contemporary and a few other places, but OKW was never on my radar for a deluxe stay since it doesn't have any theme park location advantage, but I think we will definitely be back. The boat ride to DS was a perfect start to our trip and helped calm my nerves as I mentally prepared for the evening.

After a relaxing afternoon in DS and at the hotel, it was time to head out. Since it was a short trip and the focus was going to be on the proposal and taking things slow, I didn't do park hoppers for the first time ever, so we wouldn't be going to Epcot or DHS. So we took the monorail loop around Epcot so we could at least look inside. It was also a convenient excuse for me to get her to the TTC. I told her we were going to walk around the Polynesian resort and watch the fireworks from there. When we got to Epcot, I forgot we would have to go through security even though we weren't going in the park. I was nervous I would have to take the ring out, but I let her go in front and told security what was up and they waved me through.

z8USTS1.jpg

When we walked up to the Ferry dock, I pointed out the check-in sign to her and said "Hey, we should do that!" She almost started to break down crying right then when she realized I wasn't kidding and I really had booked it. After we checked in, we got some drinks and waited to board the boat. When they led us to the ferry, they had a Photopass shot set up on the dock. I took the opportunity to let them know I would be popping the question and they told me they'd come find me on the boat.

QLCkL64.jpg

The drink and the desserts were all amazing, as were the views of Seven Seas Lagoon at sunset and the Electrical Water Pageant. We chatted with my fellow disboard members (who my girlfriend had no idea were in on it) and the time flew by. I found the Photopass people and told them when I planned to and where we would be on the boat. I could hear them taking pictures of us during the show, and I turned around a few times and noticed several people had caught wind of what was going on.

WDoCjcj.jpg

I took a knee just before the finale. I hadn't practiced in the shorts I was wearing and had trouble getting the ring out of my pocket. But she said yes and everyone cheered. It was such an amazing experience all around. It seemed like half the boat came to congratulate us, and cast members were waiting for us with light up flutes of sparkling cider and engagement buttons. They also had a congratulations card signed by all the cast members on the boat. They took a good 5-10 minutes taking pictures of us. I was totally blown away how above and beyond they went for us to make it an unforgettable experience.

7SAHkpT.jpg

I would definitely recommend this cruise to anyone looking for something unique to do. My only issue was that the sound piped in was hard to hear. It's possible that it was just that we were standing too far from the speakers.

The rest of the trip was great. We still opened and closed down MK and AK, but took it much slower than we normally would. Took lots of pictures and just enjoyed being in Disney as an engaged couple. We received so many congrats from CMs and guests. I wish it was possible to individually thank them all for making it a truly magical trip. Other highlights included: riding Everest so many times CM eventually commented on it, enjoying a Night Blossom while waiting standby for FoP for the first time after the rain cleared out the park and the wait dropped to 60 minutes, and Timon jumping into my lap during Festival of the Lion King.

I know this was very long, but thank you for reading if you did. This was my first time doing a trip report. I might add a few more details of the actual vacation later on.

Last edited:

I'm crying :sad: so magical!!!!!! That's awesome what the CM's did for you. What a great way to start life as an engaged couple. I wish you two nothing but happiness :lovestruc

Congratulations!! Lovely photos! My only downside to being proposed to at WDW he wanted it different than the normal park proposal ( and knew my brother had also planned to propose by castle same trip to his wife lol)
So he proposed by the water wheel at POR. Tried to get my kids to take a photo of us at night. Didnt go so well. Lol. The photo that is. You on the other hand have some lovely photos!! congrats again :)

thank you for sharing you story - and congratulations - both on the engagement itself and for pulling off your plan!

that is great the CMs were so into it and signed the card and everything!

BTW - if you want to tag another board member you do it using the '@' symbol and then just start typing their name and a list will pop up and you select the one you want - so tagging AshleyP13 as @AshleyP13

I was nervous about whether there would be Photopass photographers on board or if I'd be able to co-ordinate with them once we got there, so a poster on this board, AshleyP13 (if anyone knows how to tag/link users please let me know and I'll edit) and her husband offered to help us out. Thanks again you guys!

So to tag a DISer in a post just add @ in front of their name, similar to a twitter handle. I didn't do it here because I don't want AshleyP13 coming to MY post - but that's how you do it.

Congratuations, BTW. Looks like you two have some wonderful memories!

Edit: @TheMaxRebo beat me by 20 seconds.

What an awesome story and Congratulations! It was also really cool that the photopass photographers were able to capture the moment and the Cms signed a card for you guys! Congratulations again!

What a beautiful story. So happy that the two of you had such a wonderful time and were able to make such special memories together. Congratulations!

Congratulations!!! I got a little teary reading as well, such a magical and memorable experience! You did a great job!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter