Pros and Cons of bringing a backpack

taraaplin

Mouseketeer
Now that we don’t have any toddlers I’m toying around the idea of not being a backpack. We won’t have a stroller to store it for rides so I’m not sure what we would do with it for EE or SM... I know there are lockers but I really don’t want to rent one. Defeats the purpose of carrying around waters and snacks, right? Are there other options to store backpacks with no valuables left in them?

That's a really good question. Rather than carry a backpack, I've been a fan of lightweight string sackpacks. They can't carry anything heavy, but it's easy to throw in sunscreen, lightweight poncho, sunglass case, a portable charger, and a water bottle. It's not so rigid as a backpack, so they squeeze into those nets on rollercoasters easily.

Get a mini backpack. I bring a small one to carry water, a few snacks, a pair of flip flops just in case, etc.

I always carry a backpack, for sunscreen, ponchos, Brita water bottle, portable charger, snacks. I have never had a problem keeping it with me and storing it at my feet on the coasters.

Personally, I recommend touring unladen for many reasons. First of all, you can use the no-bags line at security. Then you don't have to carry anything around and have no worries on rides. All rides can handle a pretty sizable bag though, but it's still a pain to me.

I take a decent sized cross body bag with me, and I haven't found a ride I can't take it on (well, except for Soarin, and then it stays by your launch site).

A small lightweight drawstring bag that is sturdy (Nike sell lots of these!) can carry all the things you need, its easy to wear and fits in most rides little pockets or footwell. I have a really functional Nike one that has a zip on the front as well as 2 separate compartments in the main bag. It's great!

So we have never brought a back pack before... but we have never gone in July/August before. So this year, when I no longer have a young child but an adult one, I am considering it. We’ll need to carry sunscreen and chargers at the least.
Boo :sad2:

Personally, I recommend touring unladen for many reasons. First of all, you can use the no-bags line at security. Then you don't have to carry anything around and have no worries on rides. All rides can handle a pretty sizable bag though, but it's still a pain to me.

As a female, touring with no bag isn't always feasible.

Plus sunblock!! Don't you burn?!

As a female, touring with no bag isn't always feasible.

Plus sunblock!! Don't you burn?!

I toss one of those travel size sunscreen bottles in my pocket. I'll bring several for the trip. One bottle lasts about 2 days and I use it pretty heavily.

If you need or really want to carry enough around the parks to warrant a backpack then go for it but if you can get along without it (buy snacks, get free ice water, apply sunscreen before leaving the hotel...) then I would avoid bringing a backpack.
It gets heavy and annoying to carry around.
You can bring it on all the rides (not everyone bring a stroller to store their stuff lol)
I get away with a small crossbody purse. I don't even have to take it off on most attractions.

People bring way too much stuff into Disney World. Following people through security is comical. They never undo all the zippers and always have bags inside of bags. The poor security folks have to go through all of their stuff.

I'm sure you would think I bring 'way too much stuff". But for me, it is what I need for every day. Having allergies/asthma means some meds have to come with me. Plus I am glow in the dark white, so a decent amount of sunscreen is a must. The great thing is, you can bring in what you want (as long as it isn't something banned) and I can bring in what I want.

Btw, I have my bag off of my body and all of the zippers open before it hits the table. And it is security's job to go thru our stuff, so I'm not sure why you feel bad for them.

We use one of those drawstring "backpack" type bags, they work really well. For non-kid trips, we take water bottles, sunscreen, flavor enhancer, ponchos if there's a rain chance, and our portable charger with 2 short cords. It's incredibly easy to carry and I have no issues with it on any rides.

Now that we don’t have any toddlers I’m toying around the idea of not being a backpack. We won’t have a stroller to store it for rides so I’m not sure what we would do with it for EE or SM... I know there are lockers but I really don’t want to rent one. Defeats the purpose of carrying around waters and snacks, right? Are there other options to store backpacks with no valuables left in them?
I have a lot of medical equipment that I have to have with me so I have to have a backpack all rides but FOP and soring I bring the backpack with me on the ride FOP have a place for you on the back wall soaring there is place off to the side of each row. I have not done the water ride at AK so if you think a backpack is right for you to bring one.

People bring way too much stuff into Disney World. Following people through security is comical. They never undo all the zippers and always have bags inside of bags. The poor security folks have to go through all of their stuff.
Just be grateful you do not have medical problems that make you carry a backpack with you at all times, If I could I would tried with you I would be glad to go backpack less and have to wait behind someone with a backpack full of things and not have to carry said backpack all day every day

We stopped carrying a backpack once we didn't have to carry diapers.

Each kid carries their own small bag and I downgraded to a small cross body bag. Between that and losing the stroller, it was liberating!!!

While we have tons of string bags hanging around, I don't like using them at WDW because the thin strings aren't comfortable long term.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter