PTR - October 2017

casagray

Kinda New to this!
Planning our October 21-27 trip,

Who:
Me: early 50's mom
DD: late teen

I've been to Disneyland a few times over the last few years, but my DD has not been in six years; and she loves both Halloween and Disney.

Plan to get five day park hoppers to use Sunday-Thursday. Already have hotel reservations, and plane tickets. Need to get park tickets, and MHP ... once we've decided which night to go for, and they go on sale.

With hotel and travel out of the way, now it's down to do what days.

First is what to do on Saturday - do we go for MHP on that Saturday we get in (which would then allow us in late afternoon, leaving the five day park hopper for the other days); or do we do it later in the week (assuming that they offer a mid-week MHP as they have in the past). If we don't do MHP that Saturday, then we'll hit downtown Disney, maybe Trader Sam's. To be hones, it'll be very very hard to be so close and not go! In the October 2017 thread people do suggest MHP weekday not because they sell less tickets, but because it's more likely the locals will clear out earlier and rides will be super easy to do as the night goes on.

Next is what to do on the busy Sunday - I know there are schools out around then, and it's a weekend, so I'm expecting big crowds. I'm thinking this may be the day to do things we can't later in the week - like see Mickey's Magical Map, Beauty, Tangled; maybe do a lunch/WOC or F! package (if F! is up). I'm sure we'll grab a few fast passes throughout the day (Haunted Mansion at very least), so we'll do a few rides. I also have never done the Redwood Creek Challenge, which I hear is usually not so busy, so maybe we'll do that; and depending on what the preview is, maybe do that. Since we'll have another four days which will hopefully be less crowded, I don't think it makes sense to stand in long lines for rides.

Another option for Saturday/Sunday would be to go hit the parks on a busy Saturday, then do something like take a trip to whale watch or go to LA/Hollywood on Sunday. Unfortunately we'll be getting in too late to do that on Saturday (we should arrive in Anaheim around 3), or I'd look into that instead.

More to come in our planning ....

Last edited:
To go back a few steps ...

Originally I had thought to go at the beginning of November, and had a reservation all set at BWPPI with a AAA rate. It's where I've stayed the last two times, which lends some comfort to going there. Read about Desert Inn & suites on the board, and decided to move to Desert Inn & Suites as the cost was significantly less and the walk not significantly further (according to google maps, it adds all of two minutes!).

But, as I said, DD is a huge halloween fan. So then I checked the thread about dates, read some on the boards, and decided October 22-27 (Sunday-Friday) looked good.

In checking online first, it looked like those dates had the same rate at Desert Inn, so I hoped it wouldn't be too much of a problem to change them. When I called, though, they quoted me a higher price. I did tell the very nice lady who helped me that I saw a lower rate online, and asked if I should just cancel the current reservation, and then rebook online in order to get the lower rate. She looked into it and was able to get me the same rate. It was really nice of her, as she did have to do some weird override to get those rates (although I have no idea why...)

So, in theory, our hotel was booked and were were set.

I kept an eye out for airfair. I looked at https://www.cheapair.com/when-to-buy-flights and put all the suggested "best time to buy dates" in my calendar, set up a price alert for Kayak, and downloaded Hopper and set it up for our dates. I am already a Virgin America (now Alaska Air) member, and United, and American ... so I go all their promos about rates. I was 90% sure I wanted to fly into SNA and not LAX, unless it was substantially cheaper. I had a rough number in my head that as soon as I saw a fare that was at (or close) to that number, I was going to purchase it ...even if it wasn't the "best time".

I don't recall the exact sequence, but in looking at the prices, at the time I was looking it was substantially (like $150 per person) less to fly in on Saturday - which I knew was going to be super busy, and have us there more than the five day park hopper, but might be worth it for the price difference. I kept my eye on the prices for arriving either Saturday or Sunday. On the day the fare for Saturday was within my limit (it actually was below), I called Desert Inn to see what the price would be to extend my stay a day, and if it would still keep me within my budget. As usual, I checked online, and the price for Saturday was $40 more than the Sunday-Thursday night price, which was only to be expected. When I called, I asked about extending our stay, and was up front that I knew that Saturday would cost more as it was a prime night. To my surprise, they offered me a rate of only $20 more for Saturday, which I took. Even with the extra night, with the lower prices coming in on Saturday, I ended out about even, so I booked our flights.

Which is how we ended up with October 21-27, and the debate about what to do Saturday/Sunday :-)

I guess my lesson from the hotel booking was read the boards, and call about prices after looking them up online. In one case it saved me money, in the other I knew what a good deal that Saturday night rate was.

And yes, I could have held out to buy my plane tickets ... actually, no, I couldn't have held out for a lower price, it was driving me crazy to not have the tickets all set. I did hold out until they went to a price I was comfortable with (based on the prices I paid the last two years) - and knowing I wasn't willing to leave super early or come back super late. I also kept looking at the "available seats" (e.g., going through the booking process to the point I could view/select seats) for the times I was hoping for and got a bit concerned as these flights filled up. So, I got the tickets (with another night at the hotel) at a price I could live with, and am heading out/coming back at times that work best for us. I may gnash my teeth and regret it later, we'll see.

I'll be there with my sisters Oct 21-24. We're staying at Paradise Pier and have our flights booked, too! We're actually coming to Anaheim for a concert at the House of Blues on the 21st, so our park days will be the 22nd and 23rd. I've been reading about the fall break crowds and I'm kind of dreading it, lol. I've only been to Disneyland twice and both times were in Sept with low crowds, so I don't really have a game plan for heavy crowds! Anyway, I look forward to reading more of your pre-trip report! :)

Hi Laurajland, maybe we'll bump into each other!

My current uber-early and slightly obsessive planning revolves around

A) what "special" meal or activity to do (Lunch at Carthay Circle w/viewing for WOC? Lunch at Blue Bayou? Chef's table? tea?)
B) what day would be better for MHP
C) what to wear to MHP
D) should I buy a week long photopass

So, in order, here are my thoughts:

A. I had a much better lunch at Carthay Circle than I've ever had at Blue Bayou ... but ... the meal at Carthay Circle was a bit more out of my daughter's comfort zone. Also, she is now eating lactose/dairy free (to be sure she just says dairy free). Not sure how either restaurant would handle that, although I hear Disney is usually quite good about food issues. I'm still leaning toward the WOC lunch at Carthay Circle ... The Chef's table might also be good, since I'm sure they'll deal with her lactose/milk issue, and she can be more specific in what she likes/doesn't like, but it's more money that I had thought to spend. And while she doesn't drink tea, the special halloween tea might be fun ... decisions! Decisions! I've already talked with her some about this, and so I know the character breakfast/meal is out, I just don't know what would be the best of these options... I do need to decide before the reservation window opens so I get whichever one I decide on!

B. Monday or Wednesday MHP, that is the question. Is it better to go earlier in our trip, or later? I'm thinking later (Wednesday), although I'm worried we'll be tuckered out and really foot sore by then. Again, have some time to decide, but need to decide before the tickets go on sale...

C. Costume or Disneybound for MHP? Something I can wear pretty much all day, and then add to from stuff in backpack/locker? I have some things tucked away on an Amazon list so that I can choose between these characters: March Hare (Alice in Wonderland); Cheshire Cat (Alice again ...); or Minnie Mouse. Disneybound/change later example: Minnie Mouse might be a polka dot skirt over capri leggings, with sweetheart neckline top I can wear during the day - then add ears, red polka dot belt and a red polka dot scarf (and if needed black cardigan!) for MHP when it starts. I know I have time to figure this out, but as you can tell, I tend to overthink these things! Minnie seems a little, well, typical, but is probably the easiest to pull off; and while I think people would know who Chesire Cat is, maybe the March Hare might be a bit of a stretch for people to know who I'm trying to be. In the end it might be down to either the comfiest or the cheapest (especially if I go for the super pricey chef's table).

D. Photopass. I already told DD that as it's our first mother/daughter trip, I'm going to do the weeklong photopass pass plus (https://disneylanddaily.com/everyth...ass-and-why-you-should-have-it-for-your-trip/). Of course, the new MaxPass might surplant this excellent idea ... and so I'll have to figure that out if/when it happens.

So, even with five months to go, I'm tyring to get things lined up and planned.

Well, the whole "what day to go to MHP" is now moot - there is only 1 day we can go! So I plan to purchase our tickets on Monday.

And that changes our whole schedule.

Possibility 1:

Saturday: park hop afternoon/ evening (day 1 of 5 day park hopper)
Sunday: park hop (day 2 of 5 day park hopper)
Monday: park hop (day 3 of 5 day park hopper)
Tuesday: chill, then use MHP tickets
Wednesday: park hop (day 4 of 5 day park hopper)
Thursday: park hop (day 5 of 5 day park hopper)
Friday fly home

Possibility 2:

Saturday: park hop afternoon/ evening (day 1 of 4 day park hopper)
Sunday: park hop (day 2 of 4 day park hopper)
Monday:Go on tour of la/beaches
Tuesday: chill, then use MHP tickets
Wednesday: park hop (day 3 of 4 day park hopper)
Thursday: park hop (day 4 of 4 day park hopper)
Friday fly home

In terms of cost, #1 wins (it's only about $15 to go from a 4 day to a 5 day park hopper). For #2, we may still do a 5 day park hopper, so we can go after the tour if we want.

I'm going to post this in another forum too to get some feedback.

So, here is what I have so far:

Saturday: arrive ~ 2:15 at SNA. Cafe Orleans Fantasimic package early dinner at 4:40. Hope to make it to 5:45 Mickey & Magical Map, after that try for Jungle cruise, some dark rides in fantasy land, before heading to Fantasmic

Sunday: no specific concrete plans/reservations other than try to see things that are only on the weekend; it's supposed to be a 7/10 crowd wise, so my guess is we'll try to open the park, have lunch somewhere (probably soup in a bread bowl for DD), nap, and close the park.

Monday: again, park hop, supposed medium/low crowd day. Waiting to make ADR for WOC! lunch at Blue Bayou. Will try to do Peter Pan, Star Tours this day.

Tuesday: Downtown Disney day; lunch at StoryTellers at 1:45, then MHP from 3-close.

Wednesday: park hop, medium/low crowd day. Will try to RSR. May do a trip to beach/la instead...

Thursday: another lowish crowd; if we haven't done the WOC! lunch, do it this day. Last day at the parks.

Friday: pack up and leave

I did order a more disneybound type costume; when it comes, and after I try it on to make sure it fits/works, I'll give you more of a hint of what it will be so you can try to spot me :-)

I did want to mention that DD and I have two different food issues. (And this is one of the main reasons I'm doing a WOC! dining package and not the dessert).
  • DD has lactose intolerance, although she does eat some milk products and takes lactaid as needed. I'd say she severly limits lactose rather than is lactose free.
  • I was just put on a low carb/low calorie diet by my doctor (two weeks in and down 10 lbs! ... with many more to go); by October I may be able to have a few more carbs/calories ... but this trip I really have to evaluate every item on every menu. No corn dogs, Mickey Pretzels, Matterhorns, waffle cones, fried chicken, popcorn, sweets, pineapple .. e.g., most of the fun foods at Disneyland! I may do more table service reservations than usual just to be sure I have one good meal a day. The hotel provides breakfast, which I can hopefully find something at (usually they are pretty carb heavy).
That's my update. Waiting for park hours to be released and WOC dining packages...

Sounds like a super fun trip! I think it will be nice to have the highest (hopefully) crowd days first, so you can appreciate the lower crowds even more as they happen. Disney is pretty good with certain food needs, especially at the sit down places. We haven't tried to do dairy-free there yet, but my husband is gluten-free and found a lot of options. I just found out I'm probably going to be there the 23rd (Monday) for a girls' trip, and I'm super excited! I am eating very low carb myself (though mine isn't technically for medical reason, other than needing to lose the 50 lbs from my last pregnancy/nursing, so I will probably cheat a few times since I'm there just one day!) I would bring in a lot of your own snacks so you don't spend too much time/money trying to find plenty of different options to eat. I'm going to bring in a couple string cheeses and some nuts I think. The Bengal Barbecue will be a great option for a meal or some snacks. I'm sure you can get a bunless burger or chicken sandwich lots of places too. I'll bet there are some threads on here that give some great low-carb ideas, but if I find some more, I'll try to share!

I would bring in a lot of your own snacks so you don't spend too much time/money trying to find plenty of different options to eat. I'm going to bring in a couple string cheeses and some nuts I think. The Bengal Barbecue will be a great option for a meal or some snacks.

Good idea; it's easy enough to pack some babybels and emerald 100 cal almond/walnut packs. And on the way back, I'll have a little more room for souvenirs! :yay:

Hey there, added a few more reservations:

• Saturday: arrive ~ 2:15 at SNA. Super busy (9/10) projected crowds. Cafe Orleans Fantasmic! package early dinner at 4:40. Plans between dinner and Fantasmic! depend on crowds and weather.
  • Sunday: It's supposed to be a 7/10 crowd wise, and our first full day running around, so I splurged on the Tomorrowland Lounge experience. Called and got one box to be lactose free, with a request for low carb for the other (if possible). Looking forward to a cool place to hang out for a few hours, lunch, and the fireworks.
  • Monday: supposed medium/low crowd day. Booked Carthay Circle WOC lunch. Will try to do Peter Pan, Star Tours this day.
  • Tuesday: Downtown Disney day; lunch at StoryTellers at 1:45, then MHP from 3-close.
  • Wednesday: lowish crowd day, park hop, probaby attend animation academy too many times.
  • Thursday: another lowish crowd. (some calendars have this being lower than Wednesday, others have Wednesday being lower. I think Wed will be lower after MHP, will have to follow the boards to see if that is the usual pattern). No particular plans again.
  • Friday: pack up and leave
I think the money I'll be spending on these four experiences is still less than a night at a Disney hotel for the two of us!

And....
My costume came! And it fits! So here is a little clue.
upload_2017-9-5_19-33-14.jpeg

Last, I'm trying to figure out what to do about max pass; right now I'm leaning toward both of us on Sat & Sun. so we can both use the fast pass as well as have the photos, just me on Monday/Wed/Thurs (for the photos). As it looks you have to buy it each day, we'll know more about it after the weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter