Purchased Riviera

I have Feb VGF points. However, I would buy August RR points because I would want to use it for Food & Wine.

Congrats! I think we are going to buy it too. I also own at VGF and love it. I am sure this appeals to a lot of us VGF owners, as I see a lot of parallels...

You will get 2019 points if you purchase any UY other than Feb. My guide didn't know why Feb didn't qualify, but that's what they were told. You can pick the UY. I was also told the resort is set to open on December 16th, and that is the date they were told to stick with. That means that anyone who purchases will owe 2 weeks of dues (Dec16-31) at the end of the year.
We own at VGF and are probably going to purchase as well

Purchased. I've been "all in" on this resort from the get-go. The resale restrictions became a deterrent at one point but that subsided and the price with incentives roped me back in.

I'm curious what made you all in on it? It's so fascinating to me how different people are. I do think - comparatively speaking the price is reasonable.

I'm curious what made you all in on it? It's so fascinating to me how different people are. I do think - comparatively speaking the price is reasonable.

For starters, DW and I are middle-aged and want an EPCOT resort but refuse to pay even resale rates for something that expires so soon. Location aside, I've liked the concept of DRR since the get-go. I love the idea of the gondolas, another rooftop restaurant, the modern VGF look, etc. It will definitely be our yearly go-to for F&W, which we love. And you're right the price is very reasonable. The best price going right now at BWV is what, $120 pp? BCV $130 or so? With incentives I'm paying $166. An extra $40 to $50pp for an extra 28 years (not to mention no hassle of resale and full points to start)? Seemed like a no-brainer.

The best price going right now at BWV is what, $120 pp? BCV $130 or so? With incentives I'm paying $166. An extra $40 to $50pp for an extra 28 years (not to mention no hassle of resale and full points to start)? Seemed like a no-brainer.
If not for the resale restrictions and how that will play out in the long term, the unknown variable of how the new transit system will bear out (open/close bottlenecking, weather policies, changing lines at CBR, etc.), how hard/easy it would be to trade in/out at 7-months, this would be a no-brainer for me as well for all the same reasons. I would love a long-term Epcot/DHS resort at the current direct rate. With BWV/BCV resale, you know what you're getting. Just too many unknown variables for me to assume that risk... yet.

There is of course the risk this becomes the Epcot VGF (which also doesn't have any walking options but does just fine). Early adopters there, buying in at less than $145 incentivized, are proving to have gotten the best deals to date, even among resale buyers 5 years later.

With CCV selling at the rate it has, I can't help wonder why they felt this resale restriction was necessary. Maybe they just figured they could. And they're probably right.

For starters, DW and I are middle-aged and want an EPCOT resort but refuse to pay even resale rates for something that expires so soon. Location aside, I've liked the concept of DRR since the get-go. I love the idea of the gondolas, another rooftop restaurant, the modern VGF look, etc. It will definitely be our yearly go-to for F&W, which we love. And you're right the price is very reasonable. The best price going right now at BWV is what, $120 pp? BCV $130 or so? With incentives I'm paying $166. An extra $40 to $50pp for an extra 28 years (not to mention no hassle of resale and full points to start)? Seemed like a no-brainer.

But for a standard studio in Choice Season your going to need 40 more points per year to stay a week, which is were the "value" of BWV and BCV come into play. For every resort, you have to figure out the actual cost of your stay using the cost of buying the points, plus the number of points needed for your stay. A lot of the 2042 Resorts have some great point charts and that is where they beat the other resorts.

But for a standard studio in Choice Season your going to need 40 more points per year to stay a week, which is were the "value" of BWV and BCV come into play. For every resort, you have to figure out the actual cost of your stay using the cost of buying the points, plus the number of points needed for your stay. A lot of the 2042 Resorts have some great point charts and that is where they beat the other resorts.

I totally get what you're saying, but therein lies one problem.. DW does not like BWV (I do, but Happy Wife Happy Life right?). So I'd be looking at BCV (which even I prefer over BWV) where the differential for a week is only 11 points. But let's ignore that and continue with the math comparison with BWV for fun. You mention standard view where owner's at BWV complain on here often about having trouble securing studios during Fall Frenzy. So the reality is that sometimes (if not often) I'd have to settle for Pool/Garden view, where the differential for a week is 11 points, just like BCV.

Let's even ignore that and assume only it's always std view at BWV vs. std view at DRR, so 40 points per week per year. Let's assume a BWV contract for $110 for a price differential of $56 and ignore time value of money. If I bought 78 points at $110 it would cost $8,580 with 23 years left to use at a cost of $373 per year (ignoring MF's and closing costs). DRR 118 points at $166 is $19,588 with 50 years left the cost is $392 per year. Not that much disparity.

ETA: I guess it would be unfair to ignore the MF's on the extra points needed to book said week. (40 points x 8.13 x 23 years)/50 years increases the weekly cost to book DRR by $150 (ignoring MF increases which both have) so I'll admit the cost disparity is significant at $171 per week.

Last edited:
Has anybody whom is buying Riviera actually asked their guide for the number of standard vs preferred rooms in each category?

Has anybody whom is buying Riviera actually asked their guide for the number of standard vs preferred rooms in each category?

I did ask and was told they didn’t have the exact breakdown yet but we’re told there will be more preferred view than standard view.

Just bought a guaranteed week. Standard studio week 49 (second week of December). I was as skeptical of the Skyliner as anyone, but I think Disney will get this right. Interestingly, I don't have Dec UY contract, but that wasn't an issue at all.

Purchased. I've been "all in" on this resort from the get-go. The resale restrictions became a deterrent at one point but that subsided and the price with incentives roped me back in.

Might I ask what the incentives were? We are not currently members but are pretty certain we will purchase in the next year or two. I believe historically incentives on new resorts for current members are different than those offered for new buyers but I'm still curious what they were if you don't mind my asking.

Just bought a guaranteed week. Standard studio week 49 (second week of December). I was as skeptical of the Skyliner as anyone, but I think Disney will get this right. Interestingly, I don't have Dec UY contract, but that wasn't an issue at all.
Congrats, I think that is going to be a pretty popular week. Did they say how many fixed contracts are available for each week? Do purchase incentives apply to fixed week purchases?

Congrats, I think that is going to be a pretty popular week. Did they say how many fixed contracts are available for each week? Do purchase incentives apply to fixed week purchases?

Thanks! It feels pretty surreal right now. No purchase incentives for fixed weeks, in fact there’s sort of a negative incentive. You have to buy 10% more points than what the normal week’s cost is to get a guaranteed week. In my case, a standard view studio in week 49 would be 111 points if you booked it normally but a guaranteed week is 122 points. The benefit is if you don’t want to use your GW all those points are available to you. Also, if they ever decide to change the point chart your guaranteed week isn’t affected.

My guide didn’t tell me that there’s a limit, but a friend of mine was told by their guide that there’s a limit of two of a room type per week. A version of the product offering statement says that guaranteed weeks are capped at 35% for each type of room, but I’m not sure what applies to Riviera. There are a lot of smart people on here that can speak to how the POS applies to guaranteed weeks. I’m definitely not an expert.

Last edited:
We did it! we had been wanting to add on more points anyway. I had been doing a lot of research into our options, and decided to go with Rivera.
My husband had been interested in CCV, but thanks to the info here, I knew that the studios were hard to get. As our kids have grown, we have gone from staying in two bedrooms to looking at more frequent trips in studios, so CCV wasn't a good choice.
We have no plans on ever selling, and the kids will be happy to use the points when/if we die before the contracts are up. I will turn 100 in 2069, and plan to have my 100 birthday at Disney if I am able. (Yes, I know that is not likely, but it is fun to think about.) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!