Puzzled...

Lady Hiss

Mouseketeer
I'm a DVC owner, friends are not. Friends just decided to go to WDW in March 2018. They had no trouble finding a BWV studio or 1 Bedroom villa for their dates, using the WDW website. How does that work? I thought most DVC rooms were for members, unless members rented out their points. I'm sure the answer is simple and already somewhere on these boards. Thanks for your help.

princess:

Cash inventory is separate from points inventory.

Disney own 2-5% of the points at every sold out resort. They get an allocation of the units based on those points, which they can use for maintenance issues, and also to rent out for cash via cash reservations.

When DVC owners trade points out for RCI or Dinsey Collection, DVC itself gets to "use" those points to "book" units at various resorts, which they then rent for cash.

If it makes it easier for you, consider that these rooms are still booked on points, but they are Disney's own points, and they turn around and sell those bookings to the public.

:thanks:Great explanation! We're thrilled that our friends were able to book a villa, just couldn't figure out how. :disrocks:

In addition to the above, unbooked rooms can also be turned over to Disney for cash reservations at 60 days prior to check in.

:earsboy: Bill

By the way, you can spice up your day by looking up the rack rates for Non-DVC owners to book those rooms. You might want to have smelling salts handy. From time to time there are deals that can apply to them, but still, wow...

can Disney book a DVC standard or BWView with cash or are those rooms just listed as standard (but are actually Pool/Garden) for cash

By the way, you can spice up your day by looking up the rack rates for Non-DVC owners to book those rooms. You might want to have smelling salts handy. From time to time there are deals that can apply to them, but still, wow...

can Disney book a DVC standard or BWView with cash or are those rooms just listed as standard (but are actually Pool/Garden) for cash

My experience is dated, but in May 2015 our first stay in DVC was at BWV and the whole experience had us start thinking about DVC. We had a code and had briefly seen BWV studio availability for $289/nt before taxes etc. We were right around 6 months out? Ended up calling WDW because I couldn't book it online (sometimes it would show up, sometimes it wouldn't), and they were able to book us. Upon check in we were upgraded (I know, never happens as an owner!) to a 1BR-garden/pool view when I asked for a room close to our friends who were also on a cash reservation on slightly non overlapping dates. So we had a 1BR P/G at a studio rate of $289/nt, which is probably the best deal I've *ever* gotten at WDW.

My experience is dated, but in May 2015 our first stay in DVC was at BWV and the whole experience had us start thinking about DVC. We had a code and had briefly seen BWV studio availability for $289/nt before taxes etc. We were right around 6 months out? Ended up calling WDW because I couldn't book it online (sometimes it would show up, sometimes it wouldn't), and they were able to book us. Upon check in we were upgraded (I know, never happens as an owner!) to a 1BR-garden/pool view when I asked for a room close to our friends who were also on a cash reservation on slightly non overlapping dates. So we had a 1BR P/G at a studio rate of $289/nt, which is probably the best deal I've *ever* gotten at WDW.

Same here, Before we joined we booked a one bedroom at OKW for like $300/night. When we checked in we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom in building 33 overlooking the golf corse. It was pretty awesome, although I do have to admit a 2 bed for 2 people is way overkill. I have been upgraded once as a member. Last year at Saratoga, we had a regular 1 bedroom villa. When we were checking in we were just having a conversation with the CM at registration and she put us in the preferred section overlooking Disney Springs.

Same here, Before we joined we booked a one bedroom at OKW for like $300/night. When we checked in we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom in building 33 overlooking the golf corse. It was pretty awesome, although I do have to admit a 2 bed for 2 people is way overkill. I have been upgraded once as a member. Last year at Saratoga, we had a regular 1 bedroom villa. When we were checking in we were just having a conversation with the CM at registration and she put us in the preferred section overlooking Disney Springs.

LOL at a 2BR for 2 people! For our trip we had our 3yo with us, so the upgrade from a studio to 1BR made a huge difference!

Seems like these things happen "right before we made the decision to join" ... hmmm. For our trip, I had also forgotten to put DME tags on our bags and then LEFT THEM AT THE AIRPORT (like, we didn't even go to baggage claim), and they still got the bags without too much delay. Also our room was ready around 1pm. Sigh... that's like the trifecta of WDW checkin: upgrade, room ready early, and bags arrive in good time despite my best efforts to lose them altogether.

Last year at Saratoga, we had a regular 1 bedroom villa. When we were checking in we were just having a conversation with the CM at registration and she put us in the preferred section overlooking Disney Springs.
There weren’t different categories at SSR last year.

MS told me that BW view cannot be booked with cash (even member reservation using cash). from what I understand, standard view is the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter