Delete Thread

Kobe Beef Burger
10 oz. grilled American Kobe beef burger, sesame-soy mayonnaise, crispy shoestring fries. Topped with choice of shiitake mushrooms and scallion compote or Asian slaw
Ermahgerrrrrrd want so much! I love this burger. It's the definition of umami. Add cheese? I'd die

Skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey-vanilla drizzle
Double ermahgerd. So good!

I don’t know what I’m doing with my hand, but here’s me enjoying my cream cheese wontons
obviously you are just being fabulous, dahhhling, like the old film stars. At least you weren't doing whatever your super-nomming awkard eye contact photobomber was doing!?
IMG_9407.JPG

When we got there the restaurant was packed full of people waiting, but when we showed our Landry's card they said: "I hope you don't mind the wait but there's one party in front of you with a Landry's card". :rotfl: No problem!

Nice! We used to have a Rainforest Cafe around here but it closed years ago. We don't have too many Landry's restaurants in CT.

Yak Attack
Mango Daiquiri, Don Q Cristal Rum and Wild Berry Flavors

24ea2c48-0bbb-4735-ae4f-b9b5dc4198d7-jpeg.293346

What can I say? I love my frozen, fruity drinks. :drinking1

Me too!

Lettuce Cups
Minced chicken breast, chopped vegetables, Saigon Haison sauce, crisp lettuce cups

68051312-e8ff-427b-aa5d-9181bf5e9bb2-jpeg.293348

I love having to work for my appetizers :laughing:

Here’s a candid reaction to the lettuce cups :rotfl:

f69b4586-7a10-420e-8873-53337c175439-jpeg.293343
5cd5b5d1-d350-4ee8-a5c1-36a9df066f88-jpeg.293344

Um, yuck! :rotfl:

Kobe Beef Burger
10 oz. grilled American Kobe beef burger, sesame-soy mayonnaise, crispy shoestring fries. Topped with choice of shiitake mushrooms and scallion compote or Asian slaw
(With the Asian slaw)

79f368ec-6c14-4bf4-a76a-11e8d44a9b61-jpeg.293349

Last time I got this burger I didn't like it. I thought it was overcooked, and I opted out of the toppings. But I've heard so many good reviews about it I decided to give it another chance, with all the toppings on it like intended.

Our server had a very good suggestion that really helped bring this burger to another level, he asked if I wanted a slice of smoked gouda cheese on my burger since that would work perfectly with it. Adding cheese to things? I like the way he thinks! :thumbsup2 Of course I said yes.
This time it was cooked perfectly, all the toppings really worked, and I loved how the smoked gouda tasted on it.

I love a good burger. I kind of wrote this place off because I'm not into that kind of food, but maybe next year we can try it knowing the burger is good :thumbsup2

Fried Wontons
Skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey-vanilla drizzle

2f2d633b-b0d2-49c8-9f5f-18d842f0d677-jpeg.293351

Yum!!

obviously you are just being fabulous, dahhhling, like the old film stars. At least you weren't doing whatever your super-nomming awkard eye contact photobomber was doing!?
img_9407-jpg.293504

OMG!! Hysterical! I didn't even notice him back there, I had to go back and look at the original! Good eye! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I think it was about the size of a normal burger. Is he not really a big fan of the type of food they have there? I'm not typically either, and instead of trying something with a sauce on it I might not like I went for the burger again. It was a good choice!
He normally does, but up until this restaurant he was letting me pick where we ate blindly and when we got there he just hated everything on the menu. Was a total disaster of a meal and from then on he always checks the menu first before we go. I doubt I'll get him back there, but you never know.

although the dining area was about 70% empty so I figured maybe they were just understaffed

That seemed to be a common theme when we were there this time! The crowds were insane and it seemed they could barely keep up. Skipper Canteen had pretty bad waits when we went for dinner and there were lots of empty tables in one section, but they hadn't put on a server for it. I know people want time off over the holidays, but I also feel like they were trying not to keep too big a staff anyway. When we were at Boma, our server told us they'd been super busy and flat out but everyone was working like crazy because they didn't want to put more staff on because they expected it to get slower again in January and they'd have too many people on staff then. She said they usually put 300 people through in a day or so, and these days they were doing more like 1000...

however we've learned on vacation that even things you think are obviously gluten free sometimes aren't, so it never hurts to tell them.

So true! Gluten hides in the strangest places!

He also got a fancy tomato:

D6WPcOtl.jpg

We didn't eat it though, just took a picture. :rotfl:

Bahaha! It's pretty though!

He also got some press pot coffee which he loves. But he prefers to press the pot himself, and when the waitress did it for him this was his face...

uK3QMwF.gif

Oh. My. Gosh. How dare she!!? I don't even like Terry's chocolate oranges, but it just made me think of how incredibly unsatisfying it would be if someone gave you a Terry's chocolate orange, but they smacked it first to separate it and you didn't get to do it yourself...

She really hovered while I was writing the tip too, I know she was trying to see it so I took my time. But needless to say it wasn't the largest tip I've ever given. I rarely tip under 20% (with Uber and in restaurants) unless the service is pretty bad, but let's just say she got a bit less than that.

Um...uncomfortable.

It sounds like your whole experience at Ale and Compass was just kinda lousy and frustrating, especially the service! Uggh! I'm surprised and disappointed to hear that! We're about the same with our tipping, but I definitely wouldn't have given quite so much for this service either...lame.

She also seemed to be extremely fluent in English so I did not have to use my fancy French speaking skills on her.

OPhN66h.gif

(After all I took french in school for several years and remember like 3 words of it).

What a shame! I'm sure you would have blown her away!! :P

I studied french in school in an immersion class for years since we're technically a bilingual country in Canada. I've lost SO much of it, but it's still typically good enough that I'm able to use it when we travel in the US where fewer people speak french fluently...maybe I should try ordering something in French next time we go to Epcot...obviously in the France pavilion and not in, like Japan or something though... :P

This was exactly what I needed after being out in the cold. It was so warm, and so delicious. :lovestruc I don't have a lot of experience with french onion soup aside from Be Our Guest where I prefer the cheese to the soup. But this was way better! I actually wanted to eat the soup along with the cheese. :rotfl:

Mmmmm amazing!! Pre-allergies I remember being so impressed by this soup! Good to know it's better here than BOG, because I'd always heard it was very similar, and I got Nathan to try it at BOG, and he thought it was just okay, and I'd been so disappointed... Now I know he just needs to try the better soup at Chef's!!

The only issue was to make this GF he had to skip the sauce. He thought maybe there was an alternative sauce (the waitress didn't make it super clear what they needed to modify on this dish, just that they could), but his chicken, broccoli, and potatoes arrived plain aside from butter on the potatoes. Overall he thought his meal was far too plain, and didn't have much flavor.

This is so disappointing! I found I had a similar issue at Chef's de France. They had to remove a sauce for me as well, for a steak, and so they did bring me out something else...dijon mustard. I figured it would be like a dijon-based sauce or something. No. Just plain mustard. And I'm not a huge mustard fan anyway. So it stayed very decidedly on the side. Otherwise the food there was fine, and Nathan really liked his normal dish he ordered, but the allergy options seemed limited and super plain. I thought it might just be because I have multiple dietary restrictions, so it's interesting to hear Josh had the same issue when he's just gluten free...

When we got there the restaurant was packed full of people waiting, but when we showed our Landry's card they said: "I hope you don't mind the wait but there's one party in front of you with a Landry's card". :rotfl: No problem!

We were called in about 10 mins, with an ADR we still probably would've had to wait 20+ mins past our time to get in judging by the crowds.

Nice!! We had an ADR and a Landry's card and we only waited a couple of minutes when the place was packed. I love flashing that card!! :hyper:

:rotfl:

He loves this! He loved it last time which is why he asked to come back. Being GF means not having a lot of Asian food options, (at least not where we live) that are guaranteed to be safe so he can't really grab some takeout sweet and sour chicken like he used too. This is something he liked a lot before he found out about his allergy. So he loves coming here, getting to eat a dish he used to love, and knowing the food will be safe to eat.

That's a really good point! I miss the convenience of take-out...so hard to eat Asian cuisine! A lot of asian food could be made GF very easily, but it's usually not, whether it's breaded, or has regular soy sauce, etc., as you and Josh would know. So sad!

Seriously, AK and AKL have some of the BEST dining on property. :lovestruc

Truth!! Nom!

Lettuce Cups
Minced chicken breast, chopped vegetables, Saigon Haison sauce, crisp lettuce cups

68051312-e8ff-427b-aa5d-9181bf5e9bb2-jpeg.293348

The only way I know how to describe this is unbearably salty. Josh made his first lettuce cup, and he thought he put too much sauce on it and the sauce maybe was a bit salty so when I made mine I put only a drop or 2 of sauce, and it was still soooo salty. I ended up trying the chicken plain, and I think it was just how they seasoned the chicken. We couldn't finish this because it just didn't taste like anything besides salt.
So disappointing!! I love the lettuce cups at P.F. Changs and I always thought if I made it to Yak & Yeti I'd just get these as an entree but not anymore.

He loves this! He loved it last time which is why he asked to come back. Being GF means not having a lot of Asian food options, (at least not where we live) that are guaranteed to be safe so he can't really grab some takeout sweet and sour chicken like he used too. This is something he liked a lot before he found out about his allergy. So he loves coming here, getting to eat a dish he used to love, and knowing the food will be safe to eat.
That's awesome that he can get something he loves! I'd die if I had to go GF so I always feel so bad for people with an allergy.

Kobe Beef Burger
(With the Asian slaw)

79f368ec-6c14-4bf4-a76a-11e8d44a9b61-jpeg.293349

Last time I got this burger I didn't like it. I thought it was overcooked, and I opted out of the toppings. But I've heard so many good reviews about it I decided to give it another chance, with all the toppings on it like intended.

Our server had a very good suggestion that really helped bring this burger to another level, he asked if I wanted a slice of smoked gouda cheese on my burger since that would work perfectly with it. Adding cheese to things? I like the way he thinks! :thumbsup2 Of course I said yes.
This time it was cooked perfectly, all the toppings really worked, and I loved how the smoked gouda tasted on it.
This looks so yum! Glad it was much better than last time.

Fried Wontons

2f2d633b-b0d2-49c8-9f5f-18d842f0d677-jpeg.293351
I need these! I wish my mom liked Asian food but she has no desire to go here. I'll just have to wait to go when I take my BF.

Aw, what did you get?
We split two things, but we ordered some sort of fish tacos which looked amazing but were SUPER salty. They were a special of the day.

Ha! I noticed the guy in the background as well.

From what I've read Be Our Guest uses vegetable broth while most french onion soups use beef or chicken broth (online the recipe for the one from chefs says chicken). I think that adds more flavor, the one at Be Our Guest had a weaker taste in comparison.

Aah, that might have something to do with it. Good that they do that for vegetarians and everything, but I'm sure it makes a big difference. Interesting!

Aw, yeah and they didn't really give us any alternative sauces. Ew, that's so gross, especially with steak. The gluten allergy seems to take most sauces off the table sadly. I still don't understand the plain pasta thing though.

Yeah, the plain pasta thing is just weird. Like...why?

Yeah, and even if it seems easy they never seem to have that alternative. I recently read that PF Changs (though that's not takeout) has some GF options. I've never thought of going there before, but we might have to check it out.

I've also heard that about PF Changs! We don't have them around here, but if you try it you should put a mini review in your PTR or something!

I didn't even notice him at first. So this is actually a screenshot from the vlog, and I finished editing it today and all I can say is he is definitely looking at the camera! In the video I moved a napkin and something on the table made noise, and all of a sudden the lady turns around to stare at me and then he did too, only it looks like he just kept staring at the camera for awhile
He must have just really wanted to be in your vlog!
FreshCarelessHarpyeagle-max-1mb.gif

This has nothing to do with Landrys, but we used to have a Rainforest Cafe-esque restaurant (think Rainforest Cafe meets the WL) when I was a kid called Bugaboo Creek. All I remember was the there were talking trees and animal heads, and I didn't really like the food but I liked that you could buy stuffed animals there

We used to have one of those too! I only really remember going there once though. We were more of a Longhorn family on the very rare occasion we went out for steak. My dad was much more likely to grill steaks for us than to pay for them at a restaurant... ha. I feel like I'm about to get sucked into research regarding a now defunct chain restaurant in 3... 2... 1...

Great review of Yak and Yeti
That dessert I mean you had me at mini cheese cakes YUM
I’ve been wanting to try it but I always talk myself out of it when we’re down there
Our trip in March we’ll be spending xtra time in AK with FOP so I think this time we need to keep our lunch ADR

Classic Poutine
French Fries, Beef Poutine Gravy and Cheddar Cheese Curds

vKrHHMRl.jpg
I really want to try poutine this coming trip, too! That looks really good! Did you see that they have a cheddar cheese poutine in EPCOT?!?! I def want to try that! For research purposes, of course....

I really want to try poutine this coming trip, too! That looks really good! Did you see that they have a cheddar cheese poutine in EPCOT?!?! I def want to try that! For research purposes, of course....

It was really good! I saw that today! (And that went on my list for May right away :rotfl:) I really want to try the soup, but the fries look good too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter