Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

My favorite summer food is fresh blueberries, which always bring back fond memories of taking DS blueberry picking when he was little. - We would go every summer, and there was a whole ritual, including reading Blueberries for Sal, by Robert McCloskey, beforehand.
Blueberry picking, a something to add to the "what to do" list this summer. Most of the berry patches and farms of Long Island that we used to visit when I was growing up are now subdivisions but I can still count on the further north areas to find them. Here's hoping DGD doesn't think she's "too old" to indulge in childhood pleasures:). 8-)

Favorite summer food...I guess anything we don't typically eat in the winter! Potato and pasta salads, grilled steaks, beer can chicken, fresh corn from the farm stand, tomatoes from the garden...In fact, tonight we're having beer can chicken on the grill and potato salad, and for dessert, I made a cream pie with a red, white, and blue Cap'n Crunch crust and strawberries and blueberries on top.

Our annual Memorial Day parade was canceled this year, which made us sad, as we've been taking Josh since he was 9 months old. In last year's parade, when the soldiers marched past us, Josh stood up and saluted them (with his left hand, but hey, he tried, right? :) ). Instead we went to the Air Museum to enjoy the outdoor exhibits, which is all that is open at the moment. We still managed to spend 2 hours there and and it was quite enjoyable! Now Josh is outside with Daddy and the girl from next door - yes, she's still coming over. Yesterday, while DH was out mowing the lawn, she came over without him knowing and tripped over our basement hatchway as she tried to get at our deck box. My mother said something to her and she went home. Today she saw a giant rock that we painted, commented on how much she liked one of the colors in particular, and asked if she could have it. Um, no...I'm already providing you with bubbles, sidewalk chalk, and Doritos; I'm not giving you my paint, too.

Tomorrow we're going to have to visit DH's parents. We have some supplies that we need to deliver to them. So at least there, we can get plenty of outdoor time :)

I’ve never had rhubarb either! I’ve heard it mentioned in pie conversations but I’m ashamed to say I know nothing about it. If you don’t use it for pie, what do you do with it?
I guess my fav summer foods are homemade ice cream and anything that comes from the garden.
I didn’t know about Costco booze popsicles. We don’t have Costco but I do get to go to one now and then. I’ll add that to my list if I get to go again.
Tina, sending you good, healthy thoughts!

Hope everyone had nice weather and the ability to use some of it outdoors:.
Today was much nicer than yesterday so we wandered further afield.

Elder sister and BIL decided to take a drive upstate and spend the night at a weekend retreat there so we went up to her empty house and raided the herb garden. Pulled some mint up by the roots and hopefully it'll do well in a clay pot in the apartment. Started tomato staking for her, planted some of her herb seedlings and I'm sure she'll be happy for the effort. Made freezer space for the 2 chickens (6 in total) I ordered for all my local sisters and self. She'll grumble about the placement but but why that's how we love each other:lmao:.

Sat on her garden terrace and ate a picnic meal I'd packed (chicken Niciose sandwiches and strawberries w/ a jar of whipped cream)) and watched the Hudson boat traffic for a bit before deciding it was time to get on the train home for us. Err wondered if she'll notice some of her club soda is missing but decided I dinna care;).

Nice social distancing visit of familiar surroundings and hope we can do our regular August tomato sauce canning get together this year.

How is the Memorial Day weekend going for you so far?

I'm so glad you had a nice outing, NYCgrrl :)

Lovely sunny Sunday here. Around 4:30 it began to feel much later to me than it was. Today did feel like Sunday unlike some other days that do not feel like the day they are!

Sunday gratitude:

Online Worship service and getting to "see" one of my friends who is an Elder that way. I later texted with her as well :)
Amazon packages
One more Sunday closer to a more typical Sunday back at church in person.

To go along with my avatar, how about tonight's question being what is your favorite Fantasy Land ride? I have never been to WDW so am only speaking of Disneyland :)

No surprise, my favorite Fantasy Land ride is indeed :dumbo:Something so fun about a flying elephant. Plus it flies at exactly my speed. I also enjoy Alice in Wonderland despite not being a fan of the book, because it's a longer attraction that goes indoors, outdoors, back indoors, before exiting outdoors, think that is cool. Someday it will be fun to go on Casey, Jr. and Storybookland Canal Boats again to get to view the area from different perspectives :)

How about each of you? I hope no one minds that I jumped in and asked the question! I thought this would be something fun to think about :)

Last edited:
My favorite summer foods are watermelon, corn on the cob, and grilled hot dogs and burgers. I only eat hot dogs and burgers if cooked on the grill.
I remember a time in my childhood when you could only get watermelon during the summer. It was a sublime experience. :goodvibes Today with access to things exported globally year-round, nothing's that special anymore. There are some things that just can't be replicated though, like baby potatoes fresh out of the ground and strawberries just off the vine, still warm from the sun.

I’ve never had rhubarb either! I’ve heard it mentioned in pie conversations but I’m ashamed to say I know nothing about it. If you don’t use it for pie, what do you do with it?
I guess my fav summer foods are homemade ice cream and anything that comes from the garden.
I didn’t know about Costco booze popsicles. We don’t have Costco but I do get to go to one now and then. I’ll add that to my list if I get to go again.
Tina, sending you good, healthy thoughts!
@Grumpy's Gal

About rhubarb-
I've know people to use it for jam, but haven't done that myself.

It's been awhile, but I've chopped the stalks into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces to freeze and use later.

Last edited:
To go along with my avatar, how about tonight's question being what is your favorite Fantasy Land ride? I have never been to WDW so am only speaking of Disneyland :)
I love the teacups. And after I ride I've been known to enjoy a dole whip.

We had a nice day today. We watched some of the charity golf tournament. Leftovers made dinner easy.

Gratitudes:
Online church.
Fun texting with my grandson.
Lovely phone call with an old friend

To go along with my avatar, how about tonight's question being what is your favorite Fantasy Land ride? I have never been to WDW so am only speaking of Disneyland

The first and only time I went to a Disney park with any of my children was when my youngest was somewhere between 10 and 12 y/o. It was the park outside of Paris and our favorite ride was "Pirates of Caribbean". There and then it was a thrill ride with little similarity to the one in WDW. I don't recall if there was a Fantasy Land there or not.

Jump forward a generation and DGD is a stone cold thrillist so her favorite ride @ FantasyLand is Seven Dwarfs' Mine Train.

I have never been to DL but to WDW multiple times; before kids, with kids, after kids. Hoping for with grandkids. For rides, my favorite is the Carousel. For a show in Fantasy Land, I like Mickey's PhilHarmagic.

Gratitudes for Sunday.
Online church and Zoom fellowship hour
Memorial Day Concert/program on PBS
Got the yard mowed and DH turned over a small area for me to try, again, a little garden.

I guess it’s time to admit to be never been to Disneyland in CA!!
At DW, it’s hands down the People Mover... I’m all about “the thrills”!!!
Haven't been to DL either so you are not alone:).
DGD has the power to "force" me on roller coasters so I've been on most of them at WDW. Universal is a whole other level though so I've learned to say "No, thank you" with ease;).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter