Question about renting large number of points for 2020

LookingGlass25

Earning My Ears
First of all, I am new here, so hello! :)

So, I know that planning two years in advance may seem odd, but... it is our 10 year anniversary, and we just got back from Disney last week, so I can't keep myself from thinking out to the future! :love:

My question pertains to the fact that we are looking to rent enough points for a 2 bedroom villa at BCV for 9-10 nights, preferably in early May of that year. I know rates/points per room/night are not yet available for 2020, but I tried to estimate based on a combination of 2019 rates, timing of Easter (April 12th in 2020), season, etc. It looks like we will need somewhere between 400-450 points.

I rarely see people post point rentals that high.... so I am wondering if this is even possible? Am I better off trying to work with someone now or in the not-so-distant future to try to work something out? Or should I just wait until the 11-month window opens and hope for the best?

This will be our 3rd trip to Disney in 6 years, but it will be our first time trying to rent DVC points for our stay. I am pretty set on BCV as well, for a variety of reasons.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :)

It is possible, but it is harder to rent large amounts of points at specific resorts. In general, unless someone is really nice, or you have a personal relationship, people looking to rent 500 points won't "hold them" for a future reservation for you versus getting bird-in-hand reservations, done and paid. BCV points are very easy to rent at a premium rate, so someone can list them and be done quite quickly versus taking a deposit and waiting 2 months.

If you knew someone, they might bank/borrow for you. A stranger is a little less likely for that.

The thing to remember about point rentals is, you're not actually renting points. ;). You won't be collecting a bunch of points and then making a reservation. Only the member who owns the points can use them to make reservations. What really happens is that you're paying a member to make a reservation for you with their points.

If you can't find a single member who has enough points to make your complete reservation, you can work with multiple members who will each reserve a part of your stay. So, you might have one reservation for days 1-3, another one for days 4-5, and another for days 6-10. You can ask the members that you work with to link the reservations with DVC Member Services. With a complex reservation like this, I'd recommend working with a broker like dvcrequest.com to find the members with the appropriate points and manage the transactions.

I think your best bet to find that number of points is to go through a broker like David's.

Putting together two or more owners to each book half a trip yourself is going to be very difficult, if not impossible, to do before the 7 month mark.

You will be spending about $7100+, (440+ points) maybe it's time to look at buying a contract of your own. A 150 points contract, banking, and borrowing will cover this planned trip.

The thing to remember about point rentals is, you're not actually renting points. ;). You won't be collecting a bunch of points and then making a reservation. Only the member who owns the points can use them to make reservations. What really happens is that you're paying a member to make a reservation for you with their points.

I do understand the ins and outs of how this works, for the most part (I think LOL). I've been looking at this as an option for a while now and did some investigating for our last trip, though ultimately, it wasn't feasible for our trip planned in two days right at spring break. I think the advice to allow a broker to help is probably the best scenario, and this is where I was leaning anyway.

You will be spending about $7100+, (440+ points) maybe it's time to look at buying a contract of your own. A 150 points contract, banking, and borrowing will cover this planned trip.

This has definitely crossed my mind. I just don't know that I could get my husband to agree! :tongue:

Thanks for the advice and tips everyone. This definitely gives me a few things to think about!!

First of all, I am new here, so hello! :)

So, I know that planning two years in advance may seem odd, but... it is our 10 year anniversary, and we just got back from Disney last week, so I can't keep myself from thinking out to the future! :love:

My question pertains to the fact that we are looking to rent enough points for a 2 bedroom villa at BCV for 9-10 nights, preferably in early May of that year. I know rates/points per room/night are not yet available for 2020, but I tried to estimate based on a combination of 2019 rates, timing of Easter (April 12th in 2020), season, etc. It looks like we will need somewhere between 400-450 points.

I rarely see people post point rentals that high.... so I am wondering if this is even possible? Am I better off trying to work with someone now or in the not-so-distant future to try to work something out? Or should I just wait until the 11-month window opens and hope for the best?

This will be our 3rd trip to Disney in 6 years, but it will be our first time trying to rent DVC points for our stay. I am pretty set on BCV as well, for a variety of reasons.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :)

Just wanted to say:

*** Welcome to DISboards !!! ***

There are people who rent large point rentals. It just takes a little research. Go through some of the previous rental posts and find BCV owners with large point renatls. They are out there.

I just rented out 600+ points for a VGF reservation using David's. I was willing to borrow and bank points because the transaction was guaranteed.

For something that large size (#days and time of year) imagine you need to find people with BCV as home resort. Keep that in mind while you are searching

We rented more than 400 points 3 times before buying. Each time for 2 beds and each time with one owner without any problems at all. We used both of the main rental brokers- Daves and the other. I found that the higher point requests came through swiftly. If I were an owner, I’d rsther rent all at once I’m one transaction if possible. One of the owners I know borrowed. So,make your request with those brokers and let them handle it is my suggestion. 400- 450 pts isn’t really that much in the scheme of things.

Just beware of anyone contacting you directly via PM and offering points. There are rules in place to post on the rental board that do a first filter of scammers (you'd have to do the rest of your homeworks). Being contacted by PM is a big red flag.

For this amount of points I’d be inclined to either purchase myself a contract or go with a points broker. Since you already visit regularly a fully loaded contract would pay for itself pretty fast. Say you need 450 total for the trip. Purchase of 150 points with 150 banked and then borrow 150 and you have control of the reservation.

We rented out 1000 points last year thru a broker. I would only rent the points for large rentals. I would rather deal with 3 renters, than 10 who want to add magical express, the dining plan and make other changes.

Go with a big broker. They can find you the points you need.

Everyone has provided me with useful information. Waiting 12 months to get the ball rolling is going to be tough! I think, from what I'm gathering, going with a broker or purchasing our own points would make the most sense. Thanks to everyone who offered advice!! It is much appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter