Question about tipping Mousekeeping

I spent an hour and a half cleaning a two bedroom last time we were at OKW but all of our trash was left in the room in bags :scared1:
Buisness trip I in general do not leave a tip as I just use these rooms to sleep and yes they sya not too but I would feel guilty if I did not leave someting on vacation as I know we did make a mess and hopefully the maid will be happy and do a good job for the next person popcorn::

I worked at a Marriott for many years and housekeeping was not a tipped position nor did the housekeepers ever receive many tips, from what I can recall. And FWIW - LOTS of hotel staffers are underpaid. Not just housekeeping. So why not start tipping all thos people too?

We do tip maintanence - when they have to come to our room for us. Front desk I have not tipped, but I have written letters comenting on the service. Honestly, I've never seen any landscapers, even though I know there are tons on staff.

We always leave our room extremely clean. That has nothing to do with my reasons for tipping. I have a number of friends who have worked as hotel maids at some point in their lives. Suffice it to say that the kinds of messes some guests leave behind is shocking, not to mention nauseating. I can't change other people's behavior but I can show the mousekeepers who serve me that I appreciate the fact that some of what they do is downright degrading and if there were not folks willing to do their kind of work, what would I as a DVC member do? My $10 or $20 will never change the overall scheme of how the world of work sets its $$ values, but it could brighten one person's day. In addition I admit to a personal bias: I believe that, even in the 21st century, female dominated jobs are virtually never compensated as well as other categories (and, sad to say, research tends to support my belief).

We always leave our room extremely clean. That has nothing to do with my reasons for tipping. I have a number of friends who have worked as hotel maids at some point in their lives. Suffice it to say that the kinds of messes some guests leave behind is shocking, not to mention nauseating. I can't change other people's behavior but I can show the mousekeepers who serve me that I appreciate the fact that some of what they do is downright degrading and if there were not folks willing to do their kind of work, what would I as a DVC member do? My $10 or $20 will never change the overall scheme of how the world of work sets its $$ values, but it could brighten one person's day. In addition I admit to a personal bias: I believe that, even in the 21st century, female dominated jobs are virtually never compensated as well as other categories (and, sad to say, research tends to support my belief).

Exactly !

Dean - I did not realize that Disney considered Mousekeeping a non-tip position, thank you for that information. I know that the Bus Drivers are not to accept tips, but Magical Express drivers can.

Even though it's considered a non-tipping position, Disney will let them keep the tips, right?
My understanding is ME is Mears and not Disney. I have heard nothing that suggests they can't accept or keep the tips but I don't even recall the question coming up previously. On one hand I don't care if anyone tips the maids but on the other I am concerned that if it happens enough Disney will convert the position to a tipped one. I read an article somewhere about 2 years ago talking about hotels across the nation. The jist of it was that it's about 50/50 as for where tips are expected and where they are not when it comes to hotels. There are timeshares where they are expected and others where they are not but I think most of the ones I know of where tips are expected are out of the US and generally provide daily housekeeping.

They are also cleaning up a mess that you and your family made now if you leave the room and vacum and take out all your trash then I would say they are just doing thier job but I think in general we leave a lot of stuff behind when we leave a room. Yes I agree this is part of thier job description to clean a room but in general people leave a lot more than they think and you are just saying thank you for cleaning up my mess even if it is only a few dollars it is a nice gesture.
My guess is the people truly leaving a mess aren't tipping. But our other timeshare experences have us in the habit of other things that would help them out. We strip the beds and pill linen in one pile and towels in another. We load the DW and run it as we leave. We empty the trash and pick up an papers or lose items that need to be tossed. We also make sure the lights are off and the air is set reasonably.

It certainly is their job to clean the room. If there is truly a mess, the resort can charge an extra fee to the party.

when we checked out of our studio in January, I made the beds, I didn't strip them--should I strip them next time? I wasn't sure what to do about the linens.
towels I piled all together. emptied the fridge and we took out the garbage. we left a $5 tip. we had no T&T during the week, but I think that is because I forgot and left the do not disturb sign on the door. :confused:

That's not exactly true. MOST hotels consider housekeeping a non-tipped position. In fact, many corporations instruct their people NOT to tip housekeeping when they are on a business trip. Many hotels believe it contributes to housekeepers taking things they shouldn't, so they have instructions that housekeeping considered a non-tipped postition.

I work for a major corporation and our guideline for expense reimbursement is $1 per day for housekeeping tips. I always leave it, I figure it would help someone out (as long as they do a good job, which I haven't run into anyone who hasn't). I usually leave it on check-out, it feels weird to just leave $1. If I'm there 3 or 4 nights, I usually leave $5.

What day is full service and what exactly is it? (bedding,vaccum,T&T,) anything I missed? We will be at VWL for 7 nights and 5 nights at BWV. Will we get full at VWL? Leaving very soon. :goodvibes

I worked in house keeping when younger and was always greatfull for any tips:cloud9: this is hard work ,and low paid

and isn't it lovely to come back to a clean and tidy room after a long day in the parks
Why does DVC not do a daily clean like the rest of the resorts
Have you looked at the cast to get a daily clean done :scared1:

I worked in house keeping when younger and was always greatfull for any tips:cloud9: this is hard work ,and low paid

and isn't it lovely to come back to a clean and tidy room after a long day in the parks
Why does DVC not do a daily clean like the rest of the resorts
Have you looked at the cast to get a daily clean done :scared1:
There are several reasons why they don't. The cost would be an extra $150-200 per week most likely. Few timeshares in the US have daily maid service, most don't even have any cleaning at all. One can get daily or extra cleanings if you want, there is a fee schedule.

Our daughter spent a summer as a housekeeper at WDW. The work was incredibly hard. They are not paid wellat all. These folks have 16 rooms a day to clean in 8 hours. Most guests do not check out until 11 so that gives them 5 hours to clean 16 rooms . If the majority of them are check outs, they will have to stay over without extra pay to finish. Our daughter lost 20 lb in 3 months on this job because when work was done she was so too exhausted to eat. The list of things she had to clean was disgusting --from crayon on every surface in the room to poopy sheets and diapers. Needless to say, our eyes were opened.
We usually stay in a 2 bdrm with 4 or 5 people. We tip $5 for trash and towel and $20 when we check out. It's not going to break my vacation budget and it will surely reward the housekeepers for a job few of us would be willing to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter