Question for my fellow teachers

PrincesCJM

DIS Veteran
I'm a high school math teacher and as much as I hope that we will be back in the building in September, I'm looking/planning ahead. I am not currently teaching live online but want to be better prepared to do so (especially if my school starts to require it). Currently, I record videos with screencastify, use their built-in pen to write on the screen, and include the videos in my presentations. But it's awful to write with the trackpad so I'd like to look into getting a digital pad and stylus. I've done some research online but was wondering if any of my fellow teachers have recommendations (good or bad). I think ideally I'd like something wireless so I could use it anywhere in my classroom and not be glued to the laptop (if it matters, it's a MacBook Air)

One thing to think about when you're using a stylus is that you don't see anything under your pen. You see it on your screen. Think of it (if you're old enough, lol) as having to write on an overhead, but not be able to see what you're writing under the pen, just on the screen. It's a skill that takes some getting used to, particularly if you pick up your pen, as that's essentially like picking up the mouse and placing it somewhere else, but the pointer is still where you picked it up.

What about videoing yourself writing on paper? Or is there any chance of the schoolboard getting some kind of smart board for teachers? Or, is that exactly what you're looking for and I'm totally off-base with my previous paragraph?

I would use it while sharing my screen in zoom, so the kids would be able to see it. I have recorded myself writing on paper, using my phone, but I have a feel they will be requiring us to be live teaching classes so I'm not sure that will work. I have a smart board in my classroom but that won't do me any good. They locked my building down immediately and we've only been allowed back in once - for an hour to do our summer cleaning. We do still have overhead projectors stored away but I'm not sure how well they could see it. I do appreciate the suggestions.

I have two colleagues who use something similar to what I'm asking about. I just wanted to hear from others and their recommendations. I have a birthday coming up and will likely be asking for it for my birthday.

An IPad and Apple Pencil works very well. I teach at a college and used these to record my videos. The screen record capability on the IPad is so easy!

not a teacher but there are blue tooth drawing/graphics tablets. The important thing is to make sure that its software is comparable with zoom or whatever conferencing systems screen sharing system.

I have used LiveScribe in the past. Had I not gotten my document camera, I probably would have spring for it at home.

I know it’s a bit off topic and I am not a teacher but I read somewhere above that the teacher has a whiteboard in their classroom but their building is on lockdown. Maybe this is an issue to bring up with administrators if schools no longer return to allow teachers to return to their classrooms.? This is what our school did. Teachers had the flexibility to either home teach from home or from their classrooms. I know that for French the teacher records video from school as she has all her resources there. I see allowing teachers into their own classrooms alone has no health issues. So though our schools are officially closed to students the building itself was open for teaching and staff. I believe they actually had seminars and meetings while utilizing social distancing.

I believe also chemistry teachers recorded lab experiments from their labs in the school.

I'm not a teacher, but I had to take an occupational test that required math that I hadn't used in at least 15 years. There were some really good instructional videos on YouTube. I would start watching those and see if you can pick up some production techniques. I would even bookmark the best videos and you could embed them into your lessons; why reinvent the wheel?

I know it’s a bit off topic and I am not a teacher but I read somewhere above that the teacher has a whiteboard in their classroom but their building is on lockdown. Maybe this is an issue to bring up with administrators if schools no longer return to allow teachers to return to their classrooms.? This is what our school did. Teachers had the flexibility to either home teach from home or from their classrooms. I know that for French the teacher records video from school as she has all her resources there. I see allowing teachers into their own classrooms alone has no health issues. So though our schools are officially closed to students the building itself was open for teaching and staff. I believe they actually had seminars and meetings while utilizing social distancing.

I believe also chemistry teachers recorded lab experiments from their labs in the school.
That was me, the OP. My district locked things down, while a friend who teaches in a district about an hour away was able to come and go as they pleased. I have young kids so it wouldn't have helped me to get into my room - I would have needed someone to watch them as my husband works as well. It would have been more salt in the wounds. I'm not a crier but nearly cried when I went to clean out my room. My heart breaks for my seniors.

There's no easy answer. I liked the suggestion of an iPad and apple pencil but that's more than I was hoping to spend. At least I have some time to do research before I act. I'd like to have something before we return at the beginning of September. If we return then.

Any chance the school board will spring for the iPad, since its a tool for school? At very least, if you choose to go that way, can you deduct it from your taxes as a professional expense?

Best Buy has IPads on sale. There is also a Penoval Pen for the IPad that is very good. I have used it a lot for lectures and it is only $40.

I have not. My bigger issue is that it's so awkward to to try write with the trackpad on my laptop. My numbers are awful
You can also type on the white board. That's what I did. I teach physical science, so there is some math, but not tons. You could play around with that before you buy something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!