Question - Help please

JayhawkMomma

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip for late May/early June and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around our situation. Our 14 year old son has a condition that makes his stamina very poor, on top of which he's had a full spinal fusion for Scoliosis, which makes standing in one place hard for him. He also tends to get lightheaded due to his blood pressure medicine (he has normal blood pressure so the med makes it very low sometimes). I assume these conditions won't qualify for a DAS since they're mostly stamina related.

We are not really wanting him to have an ECV because he has no mobility problems except for him getting tired easily. Besides, finding someone to rent to him with his age is not really possible. We don't want to push him around in a wheelchair all day, nor do we want to have to push around an empty wheelchair. Thought about a rollerator since it's lighter but we really still don't feel as it's appropriate for our specific needs either. Is it possible to just carry a small chair around (very small, like a stick chair) for him to use while we're waiting in lines.

Is it also true that Disney has removed a lot of their benches? We were planning on sitting with him for rest periods if needed. Thanks for any help. I'm overwhelmed.

No Disney does not allow chair ( there is a debate on cains with set and someone talked to someone and they said if it is not crowded then they might be allowed, but I once saw someone fall out and break there arm ( no I am not a dr but some breaks you do not need to be a dr to tell it is broken). I know he does not want a wheelchair and you can park it in each land or area and use it when needed but this would help him to enjoy the park more

He will not be able to rent an ECV most places you have to be 18 or older and a few will let a 16-year-old rent one.

I would give him the option and say you know you will get tierd fast at disney we can try to have a good touring plane so that we are not walking all over the park we can do FP for rides you really want to go on, but if you would like to spend more time at disney you will need some help ( a wheel) to really enoy your self, let him know he does not need to sit in the chair all day when he feel good park it some where, take truns pushing it ( let it carry your bags when he does not need it) make it fun (tie a poster to the back of it for each park you go to get some glow sticks and stick them on the wheel but make fun.

Even if you have a DAS your still walking quite a bit ( I use a DAS and walk 5 -15 miles a day and the lower ones where not full days) the DAS you would think would help out really does not as Disney is getting rid of benches and it sounds like he really cannot sit or stand for that long.

Last edited:
I was afraid of that. It just really irritates me that the only answer for stamina issues is a wheelchair. He is highly mobile, he just tires out quickly. Plus, it's an extra expense that seems unfair to push upon people that don't really "need" the chair, they just can't stand for long periods of time or need a place to sit once in a while and meanwhile Disney is removing benches and just telling everyone to rent a wheelchair.

This whole trip has me majorly frustrated. There are no clear answers and I keep second guessing everything. Argh.

I was afraid of that. It just really irritates me that the only answer for stamina issues is a wheelchair. He is highly mobile, he just tires out quickly. Plus, it's an extra expense that seems unfair to push upon people that don't really "need" the chair, they just can't stand for long periods of time or need a place to sit once in a while and meanwhile Disney is removing benches and just telling everyone to rent a wheelchair.

This whole trip has me majorly frustrated. There are no clear answers and I keep second guessing everything. Argh.
Yes having a DIsability sucks I can not tell you how much more money I have had to spend just too accommodate my disability ( my last trip cost me $800+ just so that I could go for new years Eve and be able to do Disney and $150 was because I needed to stay an extra day, but it was what I needed to do in order to do Disney for New Years Eve so I did it.I would really look at an outside company if you go the wheelchair way so that you have it all the time.

Kid can sit all day long, he's lazy. He has no problem with the wheelchair (as far as we know) but we just really want him (his doctors do also) to walk as much as physically possible. Pushing an empty wheelchair around seeks crazy. We couldn't really just park it if he needs it for the lines.

Kid can sit all day long, he's lazy. He has no problem with the wheelchair (as far as we know) but we just really want him (his doctors do also) to walk as much as physically possible. Pushing an empty wheelchair around seeks crazy. We couldn't really just park it if he needs it for the lines.
oh I read it wrong then I thouht I read he could not sit that long, if this is the case can you tell if he really needs to sit or is just saying he does if you can have him walk as much as he can ( and mybe have him push the chair some too) it really is not a wast there have been people that came on here that said they only need to sit some and decied not to rent or do anything this person I think was at AK when there back gave out nowhere to sit so they leaned up agisnt something wheile there husband found a wheelchair and by the time he came back I think she said she could not do anything for like 24 hours. SO if he needs a place to sit I would have his own place to sit you just do not know if you will have that place to sit when need be unless you have your own. I know I would not want to risk it

also, you will not be the only ones at Disney pushing an empty wheelchair around a lot of people are in the same ( similar) boat as your son where they can walk they just need a set every now and then.

You are correct that his needs seem to be what WDW would consider as stamina, and as such will recommend a mobility device. Would a cane help at all? He could lean on it while in queues.

I understsnd you don’t feel a wheelchair is appropriate. What DO you think would be helpful? The DAS is likely to actually cause more walking/standing while you bide your time waiting to ride. Disney has removed many benches, keeping people moving about the park or into shops, and most dining areas will not allow guests to occupy seats/tables if not eating. I suspect it’s all an attempt to increase in-park spending, more so than intentionally making it harder for disabled or drive up wheelchair rentals. Most guests will rent from offsite as it’s less expensive. Folding chairs are not allowed, it would become a safety hazard is WDW started allowing them as many people would feel they need one. Cane-seats (those canes that open to a tripod stool) are allowed for use as a cane but not opened as a seat. WDW has to consider safety for all guests and many options just create a hazard in crowds.

Do you have a local Lions, Kiwanis or Rotary Club or other such community service oriented group? You may be able to borrow a wheelchair or other mobility device. It is unfortunate that those with disabilities often have to spend more money accommodating our needs in one way or another.

Can he work to improve his stamina in the coming weeks? It sounds like his doctor might not consider that detrimental to his health. Start with just a simple walk around the block, or maybe he’d prefer a bike ride or other activity more.

Enjoy your vacation!

Rent a wheelchair from an off site vendor. Take turns pushing each other in it. Everyone gets tired at WDW!

It's true they have removed most benches. It irritates me, even though I use an ECV. There is nowhere to sit for my family unless we are having a meal. When we take a non-food break, we usually take turns sitting on the ECV for a bit. I can stand, just not walk more than a few feet without holding onto something. I like to stretch my legs by standing. If we didn't have the ECV, we would spend much less time in the parks now.

One thing I thought ( and I may be totally off since I really do not know your son) of you said your son has no problem walking it is standing that he has a hard time with. Most lines at Disney are slow moving ( even the standby line, for the most part, are slow moving so he might not need much help if you have some ADR where he could sit and rest also could he sit on the ground to wait for the parade a good rest time there, fireworks too. like I said just some idea.

I'm not sure why you think a rollator would not be appropriate. A rollator can basically be a chair that you can wheel around vs carry. And it is allowed where folding chairs are not. Anyone in your party could wheel it around. And it would be an available seat when needed.

My father could walk very well, but he got tired and needed to sit down sometimes. If we were in a store there often was not a place for him to sit. I got him a rollator basically as a portable seat.

You could probably buy a rollator for less than a wheelchair rental would cost.

I now use a rollator for balance issues. But I have to kick my DH out of it all the time as he loves to sit in it. He thinks it's the most comfortable chair in the house.

We've decided to just rent him a wheelchair. His condition won't get better with exercise so that's not something we can work on with him. It's literally just in his genetic code. He's tall and already walks hunched over a bit since his back surgery so I don't want him pushing something he has to lean over to push, that's my main beef with the rollator. Well, that and I think he would be way more open to an actual wheelchair than a walker. Walkers are for OLD people (he IS a teenager after all!)

I beg to differ- technology to assist individuals with disabilities are there for use for people of any age. :)

Edited to add that there is a Nitro rollator out there that is both tall and has a bit of a sporty look to it. You may be able to find a discount code and order it from CVS.

Mobility equipment flies for free on flights from/to/within the US and don’t count as luggage (from a luggage charge perspective).

Last edited:
I beg to differ- technology to assist individuals with disabilities are there for use for people of any age. :)

Edited to add that there is a Nitro rollator out there that is both tall and has a bit of a sporty look to it. You may be able to find a discount code and order it from CVS.

Mobility equipment flies for free on flights from/to/within the US and don’t count as luggage (from a luggage charge perspective).

Oh, I meant from a 14 year old perspective that walkers are for old people. He had to use one for about a week after his back surgery and he was straight up embarrassed by it and it was only used in the hospital. He LOATHED that thing.

Oh, I meant from a 14 year old perspective that walkers are for old people. He had to use one for about a week after his back surgery and he was straight up embarrassed by it and it was only used in the hospital. He LOATHED that thing.

You, as a parent, can take these kinds of situations and turn them into learning oppportunities- things like rollator are tools intended to assist and help individuals maintain independence.

We've decided to just rent him a wheelchair. His condition won't get better with exercise so that's not something we can work on with him. It's literally just in his genetic code. He's tall and already walks hunched over a bit since his back surgery so I don't want him pushing something he has to lean over to push, that's my main beef with the rollator. Well, that and I think he would be way more open to an actual wheelchair than a walker. Walkers are for OLD people (he IS a teenager after all!)

Sounds like you found a plan that works for you - great. If there are time when he does want to walk a bit, you can park the wheelchair and walk around that land/area of that land.

What if that is the difference between going to Disney World, and NOT going to Disney World?

Tell your sweet boy this: No one - not a *single one* of the people he will see at Disney World who are in ECVs or wheelchairs, or using Rollators, or crutches, or canes or any other assistive device - NO ONE WANTS TO USE THOSE THINGS.

But we do, because the alternative is to *not* go to Disney World. It's that simple.

His stamina issues require some form of assistance.

Disney has decided that stamina issues are accommodated by a chair, a scooter, a rollator, cane or crutches. At the same time, Disney has replaced the huge majority of benches with planters, fences and other architectural features, most of which are not intended to be sat upon.

Therefore, he needs some form of seat available to him for when he needs to sit. I understand this; I have an issue that requires that I sit - immediately - when my stamina runs out. If I don't sit, I fall down.

Given his age, his options are basically either wheelchair (or transport chair) or Rollator.

Let him pick which one he wants to use. And if he is still too "embarrassed" to use it, remind him of this:
He's never going to see the people he meets at WDW again. Aside from a handful of Cast Members (who see THOUSANDS of Guests every year, and so still won't remember him) he will NEVER see those people again. So, who cares what they think about him? He doesn't have to use the wheelchair or Rollator when you take PhotoPass pictures, so from a scrapbook perspective, it will be as if the device never existed. But otherwise, no one cares. Everyone else at WDW is too busy, too self-absorbed with their own vacation drama to care about a tall 14 year old with an assistive device.

If it helps, he can "decorate" it himself (if you purchase one prior to the trip) and put battery operated lights on it, and/or paint it, use a hot glue gun and cover it in Hot Wheels cars... If he's a pin trader, he can hang lanyards off it, "advertising" that he is ready to trade with CMs! Cast Members will give him no end of positive feedback for making his device look "cool" - I can't roll 10 feet down Main Street at night without getting compliments on the undercarriage lighting on my personal scooter.

As the mother of a child born with multiple birth defects, I know how tough this is. But you do him no favors by not equipping him with both the proper tool to use at Disney World, and the proper outlook on using that tool (possibly for the rest of his life). Some people have to use a calculator to do simple math. It's a tool. Some folks have to use a hearing aid to be able to hear properly. That's a tool. Some people have to use a mobility device to get around. That's a tool also.

I hope you can help him see that using whatever device he decides upon at WDW is a far better option than the alternative. Thousands of kids his age, every single day, around the globe, would happily trade places with him, and would gladly push a wheelchair around, just to have one day at the Magic Kingdom.

Alternate shows with rides. This gives the wheelchair pusher a rest. The same is true of eating at the park. It's a rest period. Street live entertainment can be restful, too.

Go early to the park. If you are onsite do the extra magic hour in the morning. You will accomplish a lot more that way. Use FP after the extra magic hour. If you use your three FPs early you can try for more. FPs will help the ride line waiting.

There are lightweight, portable travel wheelchairs that you can buy for less than $200. On sale, you may get one under $150. Anyway, this would be a one time cost and then you would have it for other trips. There is no charge to take it with you on an airline, but you do have to arrange for it. Most will fit in a medium sized car trunk.

During my life, I've had to use both a wheelchair and a walker/rollator following a rattlesnake bite. If you need it, you need it. Disney World is a LOT of ground to cover. What is to be embarrassed about? The only thing that irked me was having to explain to a lady on a WDW bus why I needed to sit rather than offer my seat to her. We went to WDW before I was fully healed, and did not have the balance needed to stand on a moving bus. I didn't need the wheelchair at Disney because I was pushing my Mom, who was in her 80s, in her wheelchair, so used that to balance. And even so, I fell a couple of times and wound up at the park nurse for clean up.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!