Question - Help please

It can be hard to teach a child to accept their disability. I’m sure OP’s family deals with that, and combined with the strong will of a teenager it’s doubly hard. If you don’t have positive suggestions for the OP - please move along and refrain from posting.

I know you are frustrated by the chair vs. wheelchair, but many of the lines at Disney are continuously moving. There really isn't an opportunity to set up a chair and sit. Anything without wheels is pretty useless actually IN a line. Glad you decided on the wheelchair - I think you'll find it far more useful.

It can be hard to teach a child to accept their disability. I’m sure OP’s family deals with that, and combined with the strong will of a teenager it’s doubly hard. If you don’t have positive suggestions for the OP - please move along and refrain from posting.

Thank you. This is all still pretty new to us. Him included. We've known less than 2 years and each time we do something new or different it's an entirely new learning curve. He's still a stubborn 14 year old kid though it all and we just do our best to remind him of his new normal.

On the other hand, we're looking into buying a wheelchair for his use on the trip since renting one will cost $80+. After the trip we will either donate it or sell it very low cost so we can spread some of the magic here at home.

If you do purchase a chair for the trip, and while I'm sure a local charity would love to have the donation of an almost new chair, why not keep it? You may need it in the future for Disney trips, or trips to local venues like zoos or parks.

Oh, I meant from a 14 year old perspective that walkers are for old people. He had to use one for about a week after his back surgery and he was straight up embarrassed by it and it was only used in the hospital. He LOATHED that thing.

I sympathize with your situation and your ds's reluctance to use a walker/rollater. There's absolutely nothing wrong with any age using one, but quite honestly I have never seen a young person with one, whereas wheel chairs are used by all ages for broken legs, etc. and would feel more 'normal' for him.

Yes, Disney has seen fit to remove a lot of their benches, and it really is frustrating to me. I, for one, do not feel any remorse sitting at a CS table for a break whether I order food or not. Expecting people just to stand/walk most of the day or sit on a hard planter edge or uneven stone wall is the pits!! Their action was totally uncalled for - makes me want to buy less, not more, in the parks!
The best for you and family on your trip!

Last edited:
On the outdoor counter service seating issue, I've never thought twice about plopping us down at a table to have a breather and plan the next leg of our adventure. We've never had a cm say a thing, even had conversations with them while seated.

When I think about all the snacks and drinks bought at cs restaurants but eaten on the bounce while we leg it to a fast pass, I'll poop down in one of Pecos bills booths for 10 minute of air conditioning with a clear conscience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter