Question on credit card charges upon check in

Yorkie2011

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

At AKL right now and and at Check in time I can see 2 entries on my credit card. The $100 charge from WDW Front desk, which I would expect but 2 minutes earlier to that transaction is also a CC authorisation check from Wyndham Buena Vista (Disney Springs) which I don’t know anything about.

AKL Front desk couldn’t identify this transaction, so I’m having to freeze my card to avoid anything further happening.

Has anyone else experienced any credit card cloning/fraud from a Disney resort before?

Last edited:
The AKL front desk can't identify the transaction because the Wyndham is NOT a Disney owned & operated resort.

Obviously, I get that, but as their employee was the only person to see the card and it was processed 2 minutes before the AKL’s own $100 holding charge to the card, then there is a question to answer. My question to you all was if anyone had experienced anything similar or any other fraud by Disney front desks.

I wouldn't assume it was the Disney front desk. There are any number of ways for crooks to get your credit card into.

Have you called the Wyndham resort to see what the charge was for?

Never been near the place. Whilst I agree that there are multiple ways of obtaining credit card data, It is protected in my wallet and the only person to physically hold the card was the Disney employee at Check in. Plus the transactions being 2 minutes apart is too suspicious. So my assumption stands.

Again, have you called the Wyndham resort?

And no, crooks do not need to physically hold your card to get the number and steal from you. What on earth could a front desk CM possibly need to run a charge at another resort for?

Again, have you called the Wyndham resort?

And no, crooks do not need to physically hold your card to get the number and steal from you. What on earth could a front desk CM possibly need to run a charge at another resort for?

I will be contacting them. However, as I said the wallet is protected from anyone skimming my details in my pocket with a device, so the only way of getting it was through physical contact and the employee was the only one to do that on the day of the transaction. Why anyone would do that is beyond me. The criminal mind still remains a mystery to me.

Unless you have never used this card before, the timing was probably just coincidence and your card was compromised elsewhere. It doesn’t have to be skimmed from your wallet. Data is hacked and stolen all the time. The fact that you said the Wyndham charge occurred first would tell me the breach was not at the front desk at Disney. I am glad you were able to freeze your card and be sure to file a dispute for the Wyndham charge as soon as possible. There is a time limit for filing disputes and the sooner it is resolved the better you will feel. Sorry you are having to deal with this, but it is just a way of life these days. The only way to never have a card compromised is to never use the card.

Unless you have never used this card before, the timing was probably just coincidence and your card was compromised elsewhere. It doesn’t have to be skimmed from your wallet. Data is hacked and stolen all the time. The fact that you said the Wyndham charge occurred first would tell me the breach was not at the front desk at Disney. I am glad you were able to freeze your card and be sure to file a dispute for the Wyndham charge as soon as possible. There is a time limit for filing disputes and the sooner it is resolved the better you will feel. Sorry you are having to deal with this, but it is just a way of life these days. The only way to never have a card compromised is to never use the card.

Thanks. It’s frustrating for sure. This was actually the first time it had been used. It’s all very suspicious, the timing between transactions was only 2 minutes apart and were both during the time I was at the Front desk. The employee had the card for a longer period than usual as I had not checked in online like I usually do so I didn’t pay special attention.

Thanks. It’s frustrating for sure. This was actually the first time it had been used. It’s all very suspicious, the timing between transactions was only 2 minutes apart and were both during the time I was at the Front desk. The employee had the card for a longer period than usual as I had not checked in online like I usually do so I didn’t pay special attention.

There is one other possibility that I personally know has happened at least once. The company I work for occasionally takes orders over the phone. One of our employees accidentally transposed two numbers that just happened to match an actual card that existed as a valid credit card. It did not come to light until we received the dispute from the incorrect card number and compared that number to the one that customer had used for other purchases later. So it may have just been an honest mistake as well. Still stinks though.

The one thing I like about online check in is no one sees my credit card.

Yes, I usually check in online, but made a TouringPlans room request before I had done it, so didn’t want it overwritten.

The $100 charge from WDW Front desk, which I would expect but 2 minutes earlier to that transaction is also a CC authorisation check from Wyndham Buena Vista
Think reasonably for a minute. How would a fraudulent charge be made two minutes before the AKL transaction, to a card you had in your possession at the time of the charge, at a property more than two minutes away from where you were standing, by somebody who (despite possessing your card longer than you were comfortable with) apparently never left your line of sight?
I’m having to freeze my card to avoid anything further happening.
Smart move. Very smart move.

No, I was the other side of the counter from the card. Obviously, I’m not an expert in these things but I have anecdotally heard of instances where people behind a counter have swiped the card against a device whilst the customer is standing next to them. I’ve also heard of how accomplices have begun using the card almost immediately. But as someone mentioned above... why use it at another resort? I don’t have a plausible answer to that right now... I’m hoping that it’s some kind of transposition error with the card numbers.

No, I was the other side of the counter from the card. Obviously, I’m not an expert in these things but I have anecdotally heard of instances where people behind a counter have swiped the card against a device whilst the customer is standing next to them. I’ve also heard of how accomplices have begun using the card almost immediately. But as someone mentioned above... why use it at another resort? I don’t have a plausible answer to that right now... I’m hoping that it’s some kind of transposition error with the card numbers.
Not only that, they did it before you used the card. Wouldn't that eliminate the CM at Disney having anything to do with it? They couldn't run a charge on a stolen card number before you gave them the card

For the record, online check in and Touring Plans won't cancel each other out. They don't do the same things. There's no need to put in a room request during online check in unless you just want to.

It's possible the account was compromised before you even used the card, and the timing is just weird.

I remember reading or seeing that some cards come pre-activated, or just activate if you don't call the number to activate within certain number of days.

So the account details could have been skimmed before you even checked in.

OP, yes, I've had my credit card number stolen while at a WDW resort. Call the other hotel today and find out what the charge is for and who authorized it. Check to see if it is still showing on your account before you call.

Highly unlikely to almost impossible that the Disney employee did this. You are jumping to conclusions here. Also, why would a Disney employee make charges at a hotel? Doesn't make sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!