Question: your experiences at Disneyland first week of January

DisSteve89

Earning My Ears
Hi all! :)

My partner and I will be visiting Disneyland from January 1st to 5th next year (YAY DISNEY!!!), and in researching for the trip I’ve found lots of information for the weeks surrounding Christmas, but little to nothing specific for the first week of the new year.

Whilst I know it will be busy and a lot of the normal holiday season touring info will apply to this week too, I’d love to hear about your own experiences at Disneyland during this time, and any tips, tricks or advice you have for touring then?

Massive thanks for anything you can share! :D

Last edited:
Hi all! :)

My partner and I will be visiting Disneyland from January 1st to 5th next year (YAY DISNEY!!!), and in researching for the trip I’ve found lots of information for the weeks surrounding Christmas, but little to nothing specific for the first week of the new year.

Whilst I know it will be busy and a lot of the normal holiday season touring info will apply to this week too, I’d love to hear about your own experiences at Disneyland during this time, and any tips, tricks or advice you have for touring then?

Massive thanks for anything you can share! :D
We have gone for a week with the last day of the holiday season being our first day in the parks.
This gives us the opportunity to see some of the holiday decorations.

Once the holiday season ends there are several rides that will go down for refurbishment.
Since you're going the 1st to the 5th you should be fine.

It will be busy until the school breaks end but at least the AP's are still blocked.

I like that time of the year. The weather is refreshing during the day and can be a little chilly in the evenings.

Start your day with rope drop and pace yourselves.
Schedule your dining reservations earlier or later than the usual meal times.
Ride lines can be easier during the main meal times.

I like to save plastic jars to pack snack candy in. I have a sever sweet tooth when I tour DL. A bottle of water and candy snack in line will pick me right up. Protein bars are good too. When we book a late meal time, the protein bar is a nice filler.

You're going to have a great time!!

Geemo

I am “this close” to booking that week too. School breaks are later this year so all the kiddos will still be out of school (hence why I’m considering it) and it’s the rose bowl or whatever it is (sports challenged here lol).

I think plus as pp mentioned is the holiday decor still up and AP still closed until 6th, I believe. Crowds will be insane for sure. Only thing holding me back (and I’m not sure I can handle trip on my own with DS but that’s a whole different story!)

Have a great time

The weather will be cool more than likely and the holiday scenery is worth it. The crowds though...oh, the crowds. I love going that time of year, but it will be packed. A lot of local districts don't go back to school until January 7 or later this year, so get there by rope drop in the morning, take a break if it gets too crowded, and enjoy!

The first week of January was crazy busy last year. I thought it was less crowded during spring break. I wouldn't let that stop me from going if that's when you can go, but would be sure to get there at rope drop so you have a few hours without the crazy crowds.

We are going that time as well. We are going to use the Max pass for sure!!! We used it over the 4th of July week and it was a life saver! Worth every penny!!

Thanks for all the replies and helpful information so far; really appreciate it! :love:

We'll definitely be rope dropping and utilising MaxPass as much as possible.

We're thinking about taking some midday breaks back to the hotel, is it possible to do that with these crowds? Or is there a high chance the park(s) will hit capacity while we're out and we won't be let back in?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts