Questions about ABD California Backstage Magic

Thanks for all the advice, this is really helpful!

You're welcome.

Not sure what you're plans are regarding fireworks but they are definitely worth seeing. Unlike WDW, at DL they also show the projections on Small World as well as Sleeping Beauty Castle so that's also a good place to watch the fireworks from. But if you want to watch the fireworks, make sure you make a point in seeing them every chance you get because unlike WDW, DL will not reschedule them if they have to cancel them. If the fireworks have to be cancelled due to high winds or other weather, that's it, they are cancelled for the night. They will not be set off at a later time. They either go off at their appointed time or they don't, there are no reschedules and you won't know until right before they are scheduled to go off if they are going to go or not. The fire marshal makes the call so if you really want to see them, make sure you plan to see them at every opportunity. DL has to work with the surrounding Anaheim community so they can't set them off at all hours of the night and if the winds are too strong, they can't have them going off over the highway.

I've done WDW on my own and DL/DCA with both ABD and on my own and I'm heading back to DL/DCA this December on my own again so if you have any more questions feel free to either ask here or pm me.

Top tip on the fireworks - we're there in October, so will have to see if these rumours are true that there may be a 6 month firework hiatus after the anniversary celebrations end in September... :(

Just a correction to one of the previous posts: Tower of Terror is a fast pass ride. We were there in May and got fast passes multiple times for ToT.

Your best best for a morning strategy is to go at opening - you can get so much done at DL first thing, even more than at WDW because so many visitors are locals who are driving to the park. Our usual strategy is to hit Fantasyland first - everything can be accomplished very quickly and then move to other parts of the park. Probably the next best would be to go to Matterhorn that line builds up and it is not FP. However, a great way to do Matterhorn is single rider. Our ABD rode Matterhorn as a group and then we did a second ride Friday using single rider. At CA my strategy would be go our early entry day and head straight to Racers then straight to Toy Story. Ride Racers a second time at night using a FP or single rider.

Viewing Parade, Fireworks and WOC should be part of your ABD so that will be good to have that taken care of on one of your tour days.

You mentioned that you have a few extra days, you should absolutely be able to cover everything. We had one full added day and we saw absolutely everything at DL and rode some rides multiple times. At CA we missed a few things but with another half day would have had all of those too (rather than spend time on the smaller rides on the Pier we did repeat rides of RSR (rode 3 times on the trip) and Soarin.

I'm hoping to do this next July. I'd prefer to do an adults exclusive one but they don't have any while I'll be in the US.
Do many kids do this?
I'd be doing it solo so would prefer if 80% of the group aren't young kids :confused3

I'm hoping to do this next July. I'd prefer to do an adults exclusive one but they don't have any while I'll be in the US.
Do many kids do this?
I'd be doing it solo so would prefer if 80% of the group aren't young kids :confused3

We just completed this trip the last week of June - it was a big mix of people on the trip. There were certainly a lot fewer children on this trip than our Central Europe trip. There were a total of 7 children (aged 11 to 16) out of a group of 33. There were several traveling parties that were adults only. My daughter was the youngest at 11.5. The break out was 11, 12, 13, 13, 13, 13 and 16. I think this trip is very specific to Disney history so it is likely that the kids that are going to go on it are also "Disney freaks." All of the kids on our trip were very interested in history and were very respectful during tours and discussions (and my kids can be LOUD and boisterous in general) because they were so interested in the topics. I can't imagine anyone taking a really young child on this trip as there is so much touring and not heading straight to the rides.

We just completed this trip the last week of June - it was a big mix of people on the trip. There were certainly a lot fewer children on this trip than our Central Europe trip. There were a total of 7 children (aged 11 to 16) out of a group of 33. There were several traveling parties that were adults only. My daughter was the youngest at 11.5. The break out was 11, 12, 13, 13, 13, 13 and 16. I think this trip is very specific to Disney history so it is likely that the kids that are going to go on it are also "Disney freaks." All of the kids on our trip were very interested in history and were very respectful during tours and discussions (and my kids can be LOUD and boisterous in general) because they were so interested in the topics. I can't imagine anyone taking a really young child on this trip as there is so much touring and not heading straight to the rides.

That's good to hear! I don't mind older kids like that (I'm only 22!) but would prefer there aren't heaps of really young kids.

DU are on the case for me now the Halloween Party info is out, to try and find out whether the party will be included in our October adventure :thumbsup2

DU are on the case for me now the Halloween Party info is out, to try and find out whether the party will be included in our October adventure :thumbsup2

Halloween party tickets are included for guests on the October 9th and October 23 Adventures.

ABD will not offers refunds on Halloween tickets previously purchased.

The DIS and Dreams Unlimited Travel have an exclusive on the 10/23 departure and we have space available.

If interested, email me at Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com.

Does anyone know how early the farewell breakfast usually is? Based on what I've seen, the days typically start early, and I was considering making a lunch reservation for 11:30 on our departure day. We do have post days, however, so I could shift our lunch to another day.

TIA!

PS- @meryll83- I'm on the same adventure as you!

Last edited:
Does anyone know how early the farewell breakfast usually is? Based on what I've seen, the days typically start early, and I was considering making a lunch reservation for 11:30 on our departure day. We do have post days, however, so I could shift our lunch to another day.

TIA!

PS- @meryll83- I'm on the same adventure as you!

You have a farewell dinner (ours was at Carthay Circle Restaurant at DCA) not a farewell breakfast. Breakfast on the last day, at least for us, was just a show up anytime you want between 7am and 9am and enjoy at your leisure at Storyteller's. Some of our guests on our tour actually had an early morning flight so they didn't do breakfast. You'll be fine to do a 11:30am lunch if you plan to be at breakfast at 7am if you want to say goodbye to your guides and grab a quick bite.

You have a farewell dinner (ours was at Carthay Circle Restaurant at DCA) not a farewell breakfast. Breakfast on the last day, at least for us, was just a show up anytime you want between 7am and 9am and enjoy at your leisure at Storyteller's. Some of our guests on our tour actually had an early morning flight so they didn't do breakfast. You'll be fine to do a 11:30am lunch if you plan to be at breakfast at 7am if you want to say goodbye to your guides and grab a quick bite.

Ahh, I had been wondering why there was a farewell dinner AND breakfast, and now I see that I just misread it; this makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

Ahh, I had been wondering why there was a farewell dinner AND breakfast, and now I see that I just misread it; this makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

No problem. Breakfast is literally, show up whenever you want that day. We were doing a last hurrah that day before our late flight out so we were there at 7am. Check with the restaurant though cause sometimes it actually opens a 6:30am so you may be able to get in before 7am. I know when I was at DL in December Storyteller's actually opened at 6:30am. You just have to tell them you're with ABD and they'll seat you in the ABD section then when you're done that day you can head off to the park to play.

No problem. Breakfast is literally, show up whenever you want that day. We were doing a last hurrah that day before our late flight out so we were there at 7am. Check with the restaurant though cause sometimes it actually opens a 6:30am so you may be able to get in before 7am. I know when I was at DL in December Storyteller's actually opened at 6:30am. You just have to tell them you're with ABD and they'll seat you in the ABD section then when you're done that day you can head off to the park to play.

On our trip it was a bit more "organized" than Cinderella's Slipper's tour and definitely more so than on our Central Europe trip where people really did come on their own. I don't think anyone in our BSM tour in June had an early flight so I am pretty sure everyone made it to breakfast and sat in the same area of the restaurant. We came downstairs on the later end and most people were done eating and had starting saying good by to the guides. I think we even received a pin that morning if my memory is correct. That is when most people gave tips to the guides as well.

I think 11:30 is still fine for lunch, just go on the early end of the time for breakfast.

On our trip it was a bit more "organized" than Cinderella's Slipper's tour and definitely more so than on our Central Europe trip where people really did come on their own. I don't think anyone in our BSM tour in June had an early flight so I am pretty sure everyone made it to breakfast and sat in the same area of the restaurant. We came downstairs on the later end and most people were done eating and had starting saying good by to the guides. I think we even received a pin that morning if my memory is correct. That is when most people gave tips to the guides as well.

I think 11:30 is still fine for lunch, just go on the early end of the time for breakfast.
Sorry if this question has been covered, but do you remember what time Sunday evening's activities begin?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter