Questions about booking for friends

SM1992

DVC member since 1997
Hope I'm posting in the right place.
We are long time members, but have never booked for others. We are going to let a family member use our points to stay at a DVC resort. I know that I have to make the reservation and supply names of people staying to Disney when I book.
My question is how would tickets, dinner res. and fast passes work? Am I correct in stating that the person using the points has to make their own MDE account?
This is in the early planning stages, but I want to be ready!
Thanks,
M.

My question is how would tickets, dinner res. and fast passes work? Am I correct in stating that the person using the points has to make their own MDE account?
Yes, your family members should create their own MDE account so they can link the room reservation once you've booked it.

If they are flying and want to use DME, you would need to get their flight information and provide that to DVC.

They can purchase their tickets either direct from Disney, or from any authorized reseller like Undercover Tourist and link them to their MDE account. Once the room and tickets are linked to MDE, they would be eligible for the 60 day advance FP+ booking. Also, once the room reservation is linked to MDE, they would be able to customize their MagicBands.

They would make their own ADRs. If they want to use one of the Dining Plans, you would need to add that to the reservation through DVC.

If they are flying and want to use DME, you would need to get their flight information and provide that to DVC.

@erionm follow-up Q on that. We booked a family trip using our points for next year - 3 different rooms. We're obviously giving each family unit their confirmation number for MDE, but in order for them to get their yellow tags for Magical Express, I need to get their flight info and call MS with it so they'll get the yellow tags?

Yes, your family members should create their own MDE account so they can link the room reservation once you've booked it.

They can purchase their tickets either direct from Disney, or from any authorized reseller like Undercover Tourist and link them to their MDE account. Once the room and tickets are linked to MDE, they would be eligible for the 60 day advance FP+ booking. Also, once the room reservation is linked to MDE, they would be able to customize their MagicBands.

They would make their own ADRs. If they want to use one of the Dining Plans, you would need to add that to the reservation through DVC.

Thanks Michael, this helps a lot!

@erionm follow-up Q on that. We booked a family trip using our points for next year - 3 different rooms. We're obviously giving each family unit their confirmation number for MDE, but in order for them to get their yellow tags for Magical Express, I need to get their flight info and call MS with it so they'll get the yellow tags?
You can fill out a form online through the DVC website. You’ll need the flight numbers, yes. You’ll get an email saying your request has been received & another with a ME confirmation number. Or call MS. I’ve done it both ways.

You can fill out a form online through the DVC website. You’ll need the flight numbers, yes. You’ll get an email saying your request has been received & another with a ME confirmation number. Or call MS. I’ve done it both ways.
You can use the MS online chat feature as well. I used it multiple times for my last reservation setting up different family members’ ME pick ups and room requests. Or just to ask questions in general. Worked great especially for this mom with 3 loud young children who get louder when on the phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!