Questions about ECVs for 84 year old grandmother

lucky978

Mouseketeer
I have a trip planned with my grandmother for December 3 - 11. I think we will be staying off-site at a rental home. I have finally convinced her that she will need to get some sort of assistance for our trips to the parks. Now, here is the question:

Since we will be staying off-site and driving to the parks each day, will it be better to rent an ECV from an outside company or will it be better to rent one at each park? I am concerned about being able to assemble and disassemble the ECV by myself (my husband is not coming). Also, since we don't have handicapped parking access, we will be using the trams, which we can't do if we have the ECV with us. Can I pull up to the main entrance, unload her and the ECV, then go park the car? Also, is there parking for the ECV near the stroller parking where we can leave it while we see attractions/shows?

I don't want this to appear to be a hassle for us, as she will feel bad. But I want her to enjoy her trip. Any information you can provide will be extremely helpful. We wanted to stay on-site so we could use the busses, but that most likely will not be the case.

Thanks.

There are several things to consider.

One is that the heaviest part of an ECV is about 39 pounds (It is the rear wheel/motor assembly). You might find a medical moblity company near where you live and explain your problem. Ask them if you could experiment, under their supervision, to see if you are capable of handling it. The general rental ECV is a Ranger "Solo" three wheel.

If you will be in a rental house off-site you will have to arrange with the rental company for delivery and pick-up of the ECV. You are definitely better off renting from off-site.

Even if your GM does not drive, you should be able to get a disabled hang tag from your DMV. Normally there is a form that can be downloaded from the DMV web site and signed by the doctor. The tag cn be used any time she is in the car and you need parking access.

Because of the way the parking lots are set up, if you do go to where you can drop her and the ECV off you wil have to exit the parking lot and re-enter through the toll plaza. As long as you have your ticket showing you have paid for parking that day you do not have to pay again. (I have had a few times I have dropped my wife off at a hotel so she could catch the monorail to the Magic Kingdom, and it then took about 15 minutes until I could actually get the car parked.)

If she does not want to take the ECV inside she can park it right with the strollers. However, almost all lines are "mainstream, and she can take the ECV in to almost the boarding point so she will not have to stand while in line, and then transfer to the ride. With the key removed, the CMs generally know how to put the ECV in "freewheel" and they can push it to where the ride exits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter