Questions about travel in Canada

Whosemom

DIS Veteran
Hi all,
I'm sorry this is off topic, but I couldn't think of where else to turn to ask "real people" as opposed to tourism professionals.

I live in Ohio, and my family and I are thinking about an on-the-move camping trip in June, We would like to enter Canada through Detroit/Windsor, travel across to Niagra Falls, and then back home.

Is this do-able? Are there good places to camp along that route, historic sites to see? Is crossing the border a pain with a camper?

I would appreciate any insight you can give me,

whosemom1@excite.com

LOL! I was just planning the same sort of trip in reverse last night! We're going to Cedar Point for Riddlecon the first weekend in August and I wanted to stay somewhere for a couple of nights along the way to break up our trip. I'm planning on staying at the Provincial park at Wheatley. I also debated staying at Rock Point which is not too far from Niagara. Here's the link to the site for these parks. www.ontarioparks.com This site is very good. You can check out what each park has to offer, and if you click on reservations, you can get a map of each campground. Click on a campsite that looks good to you and it will give you a description of the site. Enter your dates and it will tell you what sites are available that day.
Wheatley is near Point Pelee which is Canada's most southern spot and is actually on the same latitude as northern California. There are even cactus growing there. If your family is interested in wildlife and natural things, it's a beautiful place to visit. They have a very good interpretive program there.
When you're in Niagara, be sure to visit Niagara on the Lake. It's a beautiful town with lots of interesting places to visit including the Fort there. There is a lovely drive along the Niagara Parkway between Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake. You can stop and buy stuff for a picnic in some of the farm stores and then eat at one of the beautiful parks along there.
As far as crossing the border with a camper, I can't help there as we tent.

NH to a short stop over in Niagara Falls - plan on doing the maid of the mist and maybe eating in the revolving restaurant - then moving up to the Barrie area - we are staying at the Barrie KOA. We plan on going to Canada's Paramount wonderland and the zoo in toronto, Wasaga Beach and just checking out the sites. Any other suggestions for that area. I would love to find a public garden to go to.

Oh we are also going to take a 30,000 island cruise.

Laura

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter