Questions for Orlando locals

goofy4tink

No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator
I'm looking for some alternative driving directions for my dd. She drives from Clermont (27 at 192), up to Universal for work. Currently, she takes 4. After yesterday's car accident, that tied up traffic for quite a long time, I got to wondering what the most direct route would be, without hitting 4.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

Not a local, but I have a suggestion. Tell her to use Google Maps or Waze for navigation to work and back. Either one will automatically update based on current traffic flows in real time.

There's never one "best route" that will be the best every day, in every kind of weather, and all traffic conditions. Traffic is constantly changing, and these free services will allow her to adjust depending on what is happening right now.

She's a creature of habit. Hates finding new ways to get someplace. Me? I love it! I love finding new ways to somewhere.
But I'll make the suggestion.

Not a local, but I'm an alternate-route fanatic, and I've scoped out most of the alternate routes in the resort districts of Orlando. The problem in getting from that area to USIOA bypassing I-4 is that the chain of lakes anchored by Lake Butler is in the way, and you have to either weave between them on winding residential streets, or go around them.

Assuming that she uses a toll transponder, the simplest alternate route is to go north on 429 to the Turnpike, then SE on the Turnpike to Universal. Mapping your way through the lakes is a PITA because so many of the subdivisions are gated, so although this route is much longer, I'd say it's the best alternate for when a Waze or Google Maps has identified a jam on I-4. (Although navigating that exit junction from the Turnpike to I-4W to Kirkman is kind of a wild mouse experience; one of the worst designs I've ever seen.)

If the jam is further north on I-4, the other option is to take I-4E as far as Apopka-Vineland, the take that north to Wallace Road and turn east. Wallace dead-ends into Turkey Lake Rd. right at the entrance to Volcano Bay.

Last edited:

Not a local, but I'm an alternate-route fanatic, and I've scoped out most of the alternate routes in the resort districts of Orlando. The problem in getting from that area to USIOA bypassing I-4 is that the chain of lakes anchored by Lake Butler is in the way, and you have to either weave between them on winding residential streets, or go around them.

Assuming that she uses a toll transponder, the simplest alternate route is to go north on 429 to the Turnpike, then SE on the Turnpike to Universal. Mapping your way through the lakes is a PITA because so many of the subdivisions are gated, so although this route is much longer, I'd say it's the best alternate for when a Waze or Google Maps has identified a jam on I-4. (Although navigating that exit junction from the Turnpike to I-4W to Kirkman is kind of a wild mouse experience; one of the worst designs I've ever seen.)

If the jam is further north on I-4, the other option is to take I-4E as far as Apopka-Vineland, the take that north to Wallace Road and turn east. Wallace dead-ends into Turkey Lake Rd. right at the entrance to Volcano Bay.
No transponder. I have one but she can't afford one at the moment!!!! She is in terrible financial shape. But, I have to agree with the whole Lake Butler issue. I have wondered about the 4 to Apopka-Vineland to Turkey Lake route. That's what I would have suggested.

Maybe Mom could gift her with a Sunpass Mini sticker? I wouldn't suggest making a habit of toll roads if she's in financial straits, but I4 being so overloaded, having the option to use the Turnpike on occasion is good, because being really late for work (or idling on I4 burning gas for hours) would cost her more in the long run, especially as the transponder gives a big discount on the toll. These days you can top up with cash at quite a few places (including AmScot), so keeping $10 on an account would be a cheap-at-the-price emergency backup.

DS lives near downtown St. Pete now, and so I'm doing a lot of driving inside Florida. We have a portable SunPass so that we can use it on rental cars, and I estimated that with the discount it gives me, I probably paid for it in less than a week of driving.

Maybe Mom could gift her with a Sunpass Mini sticker?
The E-pass sticker is free, and the minimum pre-pay to open the account is just $10. You can add as little as $10 cash as needed, using a debit card over the phone, for example.

I think most people here choose the SunPass because of the ease of adding rental cars, but that's not an issue for locals.

I use waze whenever I leave the house. I used to live near 192/27 and work out near international drive. some days the drive would take 45 minutes, some days closer to 2 hours. That route, you basically have to plan to leave way early.

For fun, here is the route I used to take. It looks insane but you never hit traffic.
https://goo.gl/maps/k2RiqLdQWBw

I'm looking for some alternative driving directions for my dd. She drives from Clermont (27 at 192), up to Universal for work. Currently, she takes 4. After yesterday's car accident, that tied up traffic for quite a long time, I got to wondering what the most direct route would be, without hitting 4.
Any thoughts? Thanks.
That's a difficult one Diane. She could cut through Disney and pick up 535 to Palm Parkway which parallels I-4 for a ways. That would get her most of the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!