Questions regarding paraplegic

sus

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip (9 of us) Me, DH, MIL, FIL (who is a paraplegic), SIL, BIL and their 3 kids. We were thinking about renting a 2 bedroom at VWL for Me and DH and SIL's family. Then have my MIL and FIL stay at a hotel room at WL. I think it would be too much stress to have all of us in one villa.
Two questions:
1. Is WL the best bet for this situation? my husband and I love the lodge, but we heard their handicap rooms are small.
2. Also, how much of an issue is it using the boat in an electric wheelchair?
Help would be appreciated. I have been assigned the "tour leader" since I'm obsessed with Disney, but I have never had this curve ball before of trying to book a vacation with a disabled guest before.
Thanks!

Boats are only a problem when the lake waters are extra high or low you have to board using a metal ramp they put from dock to boat.
Can't tell about size of rooms as I have not stayed at that particular resort before, can't stand the smell there.

some other resorts may be easier for your FIL but all of them are doable.

We've never stayed at the VWL Villas but recently stayed at the WL w/ an ECV. It was on the smaller side but OK for our needs (I need to be able to charge the ECV and a grab bars in the bathroom). Our two main observations: (1) there's an area by the door to park your wc but no outlet to recharge--poor design; and (2) the bed frame is a menace to anyone walking. The bottom corners stick out and I kept bashing myself. The bathroom is narrow -- the room we had was laid out like a long thin rectangle (from left to right, roll in shower, double vanity, partial divider, toilet). I have seen posters here say it it quite tight for wcs and I can well see that would be the case.

Re the boat transportation at WL, try searching this forum with WL & boat or boats. You'll get a lot of posts. The consensus is that it potentially can be an issue due to water levels in Bay Lake *but* that the CMs do a very good job moving the passengers to various parts of the boat and/or boarding you first or last to shift the boat around and adjust the water level. This is not necessary on the Epcot area boats as they can control the water level there. It is theoretically possible that you will not be able to board, but from what I have seen here and my own experience, it isn't a big chance.

Your trip sounds wonderful!!!!

:wave: Cupcake

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't choose this resort. I was unable to use the bathrooms in the 'accessible" rooms at WL and they had to move our party to a different resort. The room was too small to maneuver and there's a huge, rather steep ramp leading from the area where these rooms are located to the lobby...an effort if someone would be using a manual chair. I've never been able to access the boats at WL either due to the water height, and it would be terrible for some of your party to be able to travel to MK that way, with this guest having to take a bus to the TTC and join the crowds coming in via monorail or boat. There is a long "walk" from the parking lot to the check in lobby. Others may see things differently but I wanted to share my own experience. There are other resorts that are alot more w/c friendly.

Originally posted by sus
Thanks McCall. Just out of curiousity, what Smell????
Sorry should have explained. Wilderness Lodge has a distinctive smell to it, seems like all the resorts have their own. anyway the smell of that particular resort really bothers me it makes me gag. it is kind of acrid is how I would describe it, obviously does not bother most people.

I guess what I was trying to say was that I think that it is doable, but I agree overall with dclfun that you could find an easier resort. As I mentioned in my post, I think the biggest downside is the bathroom. If you are in a wc, I think it would be really really tight, and there are so many roomy accessible bathrooms out there. And there is the risk of the boat-- if you are one of the few who do have a problem, you won't be happy! All that said, we do really like the WL, but I have not had a problem with the boats and am not in a wc for the bathroom.

Have you thought about the AKL and the Villas there? They are price comparable with the WL and have the villas for the rest of the family. We really liked it there, it has the same escapist quality as the WL.

:wave: Cupcake

Cupcake mentioned AKL which is an excellent choice for a guest travelling in a wheelchair. The bathrooms are amongst the roomiest with plenty of space for transfers and to occupy a w/c. They have accessible rooms in different categories and I must say the smell there is delicious, wafting up from Boma and Jiko! The only downside there is that the doors are very heavy but no problem if someone is with you. ---Kathy

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and thoughts.
I think we might look for another resort.
Since the children with us are small, we were hoping to be close to MK, but maybe I will look into Beach Club villas or Boardwalk villas. Any one have any suggestions regarding those resorts and the accessibility? Especially bathrooms.
Thanks again!

Originally posted by sus
Thanks to everyone for their ideas and thoughts.
I think we might look for another resort.
Since the children with us are small, we were hoping to be close to MK, but maybe I will look into Beach Club villas or Boardwalk villas. Any one have any suggestions regarding those resorts and the accessibility? Especially bathrooms.
Thanks again!

Have you thought of the Poly? they have good sized accessible rooms and they are in the building closest to the trans. & ticket center from which you can take a boat or monorail to MK or the Monorail to Epcot and so world showcase and from world showcase go out INt. gateway and take boat to MGM all of which you can do in the electric wheelchair. Of course at the Poly you can also take the Monorail from the upper lobby.
I find the Poly to be the Most accessible friendly where you can get most everywhere without having to use the buses or even a car.

Thanks McCall. I'll look into it. I was thinking of a villa place, just so that most of our party to could stay together and have a kitchen area, but your right, the Poly might be the best.
What would you suggest we do for transportation from the airport to Disney, since once we are there we would use all Disney transport

Have you thought about the Boardwalk Villas?? We have had very good experience with rooms there and convenience to lots of wheelchair "friendly" transportation.

Stayed at the WL at Christmas - we like to try lots of different places. It was one of my worst experiences. No problem at all with the boat transportation which usually seems to be everyone's main worry. Figured out a longer trip around to alternate elevator to room instead of coming up the long steep ramp out of the lobby (down was never a problem!). But in our room, I could not do the transfer to the bed on my own because the bed was so TALL!! We asked about this immediately upon check-in because I had never seen this mentioned anywhere. I assumed there would be a room with a shorter "transfer-friendly" height but was told, no, they were all the same. I even asked if engineering could come take out the box spring or something and was again told no.

Sometimes my husband and I split up with the kids, so I always had to wait til he got back to the room to nap or turn in for the night. It was a royal pain!!! I can't believe this was never mentioned in anything that I've read on the net or in books!

BTW, I am a para using a manual. I had no problem with our bathroom at WL though.

Angela

I am using a manual wheelchair currently, and am at BWV in a one bedroom villa. I have had no trouble in the bathrooms or in the room, but I had some difficulty using the doors to the pool on the first floor, which pop closed easily, and have nearly taken my arm off! Otherwise, the main trouble is the carpeting, which is hard to roll thru if you have to go to the very end of the hallway. It shouldn't be a problem with a motorized vehicle. Before this I stayed at Caribbean Beach--I wouldn't recommend them at all. There is no space for turning around, the bathrooms are much too small, the thresholds are too high, and the door has such a strong "return" that it takes someone else to hold it in order to get thru in a wheelchair.

For a villa, I'd recommend Old Key West hands down. They are very large ( largest of the DVC properties), parking is by your own door, there are beautiful views from the rooms, the kitchen is a full kitchen with island vs. a boxy little room, full dining table vs. the bench seats, etc. Transportation is via bus but has always been quick and efficient (barring any problems with the busses themselves). ---Kathy

I have not been in the wheelchair accessible villas at BC, BW or WL, but have stayed in a regular 2 bedroom unit at both BC and WL. I would not stay at those resorts with someone in a wheelchair unless the wheelchair accessible units are substantially bigger than the regular 2 bedrooms.
We found the regular rooms to be very tight with DD's narrow adult manual wheelchair. Even if the wheelchair accessible rooms are arranged diferently, it would be a tight fit if the room "footprint" is the same size.
We stayed at VWL during a time when the boats technically were not wheelchair accessible. DH and I mansged to lft DD in her wheelchair onto the boat, but she's only 85 pounds and had a lightweight manual chair (we were happy to have not brought her pwoer wheelchair.

We are members of DVC at OKW and I agree with dclfun that it is a great place for someone in a wheelchair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter