Questions regarding purchasing DVC Club!

Disneymom20

Earning My Ears
Hi,

We have finally made the decision after much thought to purchase directly through Disney. There has been so much helpful information on these boards! I just have a couple of questions as we start the process...

If you choose to purchase mid-year, and opt to pay the annual dues in one payment, when do you pay those - is it on closing, or another date?

We are back and forth how many points to buy - we are looking at either 175 or 200. We are a large family (6 of us!) and like to go to Disney every 18 months or so. Do people usually add on afterwards? Are there deals moving forward for current DVC club members? We would like to eventually work up to 400 points (either direct or perhaps at that point resale)

Thanks!

When we bought direct, we paid the dues later once they had the contract set up and we were online. The dues eventually showed up on the member site.

If you buy now, I'd suggest you get a June, Aug, Sept, Oct or Dec UY so you get 2017 and 2018 points. Feb, March and April UYs are already in 2018 UY so you would not get the 2017 points. June, Aug and Dec have a lot of points out there so if you were to add on later, it would be easier to find contracts than Sept or Oct. I always recommend keeping all contracts the same UY.

So, yes, folks add on a lot. We even joke that we have 'addonitis'. I have 8 contracts at 3 resorts. We started with 200 at OKW in 2006. Bought via resale. We have added most via resale except we did 3 small direct contracts at BWV. For resale, smaller contracts (25-100) go for a higher price per point than the larger and you pay higher closing costs with resale than direct so the smaller contracts make more sense to buy direct. It's also easier than trying to grab up a smaller contract resale, as those get grabbed fast since folks aim to match their UY. Maybe buy the minimum direct, what is it...100 now?, and then add on a resale later.

We are a family of 5 and have 580 points. We have been doing 2-3 trips a year as well as using points for MIL and FIL. I'd think you'd need 200-250 for a 2BR every 18 months....that is for June at CCV and lesser costing resorts (would need more for BLT or VGF and probably also if you plan on 2 studios at Poly). Also would need more if you plan on Xmas trips or the such. We had just 200 for several years and did 1BR villas every year with our family of 5 and then, around 2011, we needed to graduate to a 2BR and that's when we began our addonitis. Now our kids are off to college so we have been doing more studio trips which makes our points go farther.

Another tip, if you have a Disney Chase Visa you can use that to buy direct and you'd get the rewards dollars...if you have the platinum card you get 2% rewards, regular card gets 1%. And it's no interest for something like 8 months??????? Not sure exactly how long, but you get no interest for a bit...on Buying DVC points direct.

Last edited:
Hi,

We have finally made the decision after much thought to purchase directly through Disney. There has been so much helpful information on these boards! I just have a couple of questions as we start the process.

If you purchase mid-year, and opt to pay the annual dues in one payment, when do you pay those - is it on closing, or another date? ...........(snip)........
You will pay prorated dues for the year at closing. - prorated from date you sign purchase agreement to end of the year.

Going forward, your dues for the year will be due each January if you elect to pay in a lump sum. There is no additional fee to pay monthly if you'd rather do that. You must have a domestic checking account and agree to monthly debits to set up the monthly payment option.[/QUOTE]

You will pay prorated dues for the year at closing. - prorated from date you sign purchase agreement to end of the year.

Going forward, your dues for the year will be due each January if you elect to pay in a lump sum. There is no additional fee to pay monthly if you'd rather do that. You must have a domestic checking account and agree to monthly debits to set up the monthly payment option.
My last direct purchase was 25 BWV points that we bought at the end of Aug 2016, bought for DH's birthday on Sept 1 and we got paperwork on that date with tote bag. We didn't pay annual dues at closing and I thought maybe we wouldn't have to pay them for some reason. But then they were billed to us and showed up on member site on Sept 26, 2016....prorated...and paid Oct 13. I figured this was the new way they do it. Thought with my 2014 direct purchases that the dues were paid at closing.

Last edited:

My last direct purchase was 25 BWV points that we bought at the end of Aug 2016, bought for DH's birthday on Sept 1 and we got paperwork on that date with tote bag. We didn't pay annual dues at closing and I thought maybe we wouldn't have to pay them for some reason. But then they were billed to us and showed up on member site on Sept 26, 2016....prorated...and paid Oct 13. I figured this was the new way they do it. Thought my 2014 direct purchases that the dues were paid at closing.
OK. Thanks. It's been a while since we purchased, LOL.

Maybe it was just an error...my last purchase being billed dues later.

OP, as far as annually paying now...we pay one UY when the bill comes, around Xmas and we pay in Jan. The other UY, we set up monthly bill pay. I set it up on the member site. It was easy to do. My SIL uses her Disney Chase Visa rewards dollars to pay annual dues.

Maybe it was just an error...my last purchase being billed dues later.

OP, as far as annually paying now...we pay one UY when the bill comes, around Xmas and we pay in Jan. The other UY, we set up monthly bill pay. I set it up on the member site. It was easy to do. My SIL uses her Disney Chase Visa rewards dollars to pay annual dues.

All add on's we've done dating back to 2009 had a bill for dues that came somewhere in the 6 week timeframe after signing. Once closing is completed they calculate and get the bill sent out so it sounds like it's still the same process. We never had the payment be at the same time as the purchase for the dues with direct - only resale.

We bought direct in December and were billed about a month and a half later with a due date not too long after the bill showed up. I was watching our account to make sure I didn't miss it since it was after the regular annual due date. The nice thing about paying the dues in a lump sum is that you can use a credit card to pay, and Chase codes dues payments as travel, which is a nice chunk of rewards points if you have a travel-oriented card. If you do monthly payments I think it has to come out of a bank account.

As for adding on, we had a plan for buying direct first and adding on a couple of home resorts (older resorts they're not currently pushing) via resale afterwards, and it's worked out great. I believe any incentives that are offered are only for the newest resort(s) that they are currently selling - right now that is CCV, and at some point it will be the Riviera.

When we bought direct, we paid the dues later once they had the contract set up and we were online. The dues eventually showed up on the member site.

If you buy now, I'd suggest you get a June, Aug, Sept, Oct or Dec UY so you get 2017 and 2018 points. Feb, March and April UYs are already in 2018 UY so you would not get the 2017 points. June, Aug and Dec have a lot of points out there so if you were to add on later, it would be easier to find contracts than Sept or Oct. I always recommend keeping all contracts the same UY.

So, yes, folks add on a lot. We even joke that we have 'addonitis'. I have 8 contracts at 3 resorts. We started with 200 at OKW in 2006. Bought via resale. We have added most via resale except we did 3 small direct contracts at BWV. For resale, smaller contracts (25-100) go for a higher price per point than the larger and you pay higher closing costs with resale than direct so the smaller contracts make more sense to buy direct. It's also easier than trying to grab up a smaller contract resale, as those get grabbed fast since folks aim to match their UY. Maybe buy the minimum direct, what is it...100 now?, and then add on a resale later.

We are a family of 5 and have 580 points. We have been doing 2-3 trips a year as well as using points for MIL and FIL. I'd think you'd need 200-250 for a 2BR every 18 months....that is for June at CCV and lesser costing resorts (would need more for BLT or VGF and probably also if you plan on 2 studios at Poly). Also would need more if you plan on Xmas trips or the such. We had just 200 for several years and did 1BR villas every year with our family of 5 and then, around 2011, we needed to graduate to a 2BR and that's when we began our addonitis. Now our kids are off to college so we have been doing more studio trips which makes our points go farther.

Another tip, if you have a Disney Chase Visa you can use that to buy direct and you'd get the rewards dollars...if you have the platinum card you get 2% rewards, regular card gets 1%. And it's no interest for something like 8 months??????? Not sure exactly how long, but you get no interest for a bit...on Buying DVC points direct.

Thanks so much for all the good info! Can we ask for a certain month as a UY? If you have multiple contracts can you pool them together for a longer stay at the 7 month mark? I have been reading about resale - but really do want the discounts for all the stuff, at least for the first purchase.

We bought direct in December and were billed about a month and a half later with a due date not too long after the bill showed up. I was watching our account to make sure I didn't miss it since it was after the regular annual due date. The nice thing about paying the dues in a lump sum is that you can use a credit card to pay, and Chase codes dues payments as travel, which is a nice chunk of rewards points if you have a travel-oriented card. If you do monthly payments I think it has to come out of a bank account.

As for adding on, we had a plan for buying direct first and adding on a couple of home resorts (older resorts they're not currently pushing) via resale afterwards, and it's worked out great. I believe any incentives that are offered are only for the newest resort(s) that they are currently selling - right now that is CCV, and at some point it will be the Riviera.

From what I understand once we purchase, we will have an online account that all of this will be in, as well to make reservations etc? What happens when you have multiple accounts? Ohh...you bring up a good point, the new one, Riviera - we could then buy some for that one too? Do members get advance purchase options? Look at me! Already planning ;) We love Disney and it is definitely the right decision for our family.

Thanks so much for all the good info! Can we ask for a certain month as a UY? If you have multiple contracts can you pool them together for a longer stay at the 7 month mark? I have been reading about resale - but really do want the discounts for all the stuff, at least for the first purchase.
Yes to asking for a certain use year. The reasons to request the months mentioned makes sense but the other consideration is to have a use year right before your typical travel dates so that you would have the rest of the year to use the points if you needed to cancel (as you'd have plenty of time left in the year). If you will travel at different times of the year it doesnt' matter. If you are always going to travel mid May a June UY would not be ideal, you would be much better of with May.

If you have a few contracts but all with same UY they will all be under one membership number and will appear online in a drop down type thing where you select which to use. If they are same resort too, they can be all combined at 11 month window. If different resorts, they can be combined at 7 month window.

Last edited:
If you stick w/ your 175-200 point plan to buy direct, consider asking your guide do sell it to you in 2 contracts say 2 100 pt. contracts or a 100 pt. and a 75 pt. contract. That way if you need to sell or downsize in the future it'll theoretically be easier and smaller contracts tend to command higher prices on the resale market. Closing costs are a bit higher, but some think it's valuable insurance in a way to break it into smaller contracts.

If you have a fee contracts but all with same UY they will all be under one membership number and will appear online in a drop down type thing where you select which to use. If they are same resort too, they can be all combined at 11 month window. If different resorts, they can be combined at 7 month window.

I was reading about the advantages of having points at different resorts for home resorts. But I am wondering if I understand it correctly. If we eventually have 400 points at say 3 different resorts - (for argument sake 100, 150. 150) could we book at one resort for a stay that would use all 400 points, say 8 nightsish at resort B that we have points? Does that make sense? Thanks!

If you stick w/ your 175-200 point plan to buy direct, consider asking your guide do sell it to you in 2 contracts say 2 100 pt. contracts or a 100 pt. and a 75 pt. contract. That way if you need to sell or downsize in the future it'll theoretically be easier and smaller contracts tend to command higher prices on the resale market. Closing costs are a bit higher, but some think it's valuable insurance in a way to break it into smaller contracts.
Thanks! That could be an option too...we have four children and want to be able to leave them something eventually - many years down the road! ;) - and have been back and forth between a cottage up here or DVC. Honestly, for us, we may get 4 months of nice weather in the summer and cottages are a lot of work and who knows where the kids will end up, but Disney will I am sure always be a vacation choice for them! :)

Yes to asking for a certain use year. The reasons to request the months mentioned makes sense but the other consideration is to have a use year right before your typical travel dates so that you would have the rest of the year to use the points if you needed to cancel (as you'd have plenty of time left in the year). If you will travel at different times of the year it doesnt' matter. If you are always going to travel mid May a June UY would not be ideal, you would be much better of with May.
That is awesome advice! Our family - very surprising and due to schedules prefers July but we go other times also. But I like that June would be a good choice! :) So excited!

I was reading about the advantages of having points at different resorts for home resorts. But I am wondering if I understand it correctly. If we eventually have 400 points at say 3 different resorts - (for argument sake 100, 150. 150) could we book at one resort for a stay that would use all 400 points, say 8 nightsish at resort B that we have points? Does that make sense? Thanks!

Yes but you cannot book at 11 months. For example, I have BWV points and BCV points. I cannot combine them to book a resie at 11 months. I can use my BCV points to book at BCV at 11 months. I can use my BWV points to book at BWV at 11 months. I can combine them to book anywhere at 7 months.

If you own at multiple resorts, you cannot pool
You cannot combine points at different resorts to get a longer stay at the 11 month mark.

But you may be able to accomplish the same thing through banking and borrowing. Let’s say you had 150 points at three different resorts, for a total of 450. You could bank the points from resort A from year 1 into year 2. Then you could borrow points from year 3 into year 2. Now you have 450 points available for a long stay in a 2BR at Resort A in Year 2. You could set up Resort B so that through banking and borrowing, you had points for a long stay in year 3, etc.

While this works, it is not as resilient as having all your points at one resort. If you have to cancel at the last minute, you would have to use all the banked and borrowed points during that year, or you would lose them. This is why use year is so important - it gives you time to regroup and schedule another vacation - or to rent the points out. So this method runs a greater risk of the loss of points, but if you are healthy and you control your schedule, this may be a risk worth taking if you really want multiple resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter