Quick question about California

kemmerlinj2

Mouseketeer
Hello! I'm scheduled for a Backstage Magic trip next December. I was wondering how cold it gets in mid December. I'm from North Carolina and it doesn't really get cold here until late January.

It depends on your definition of cold but we normally travel to DL in mid-December and we always pack layers. It can be warm during the days and cool/cold in the evenings. We've gone from t-shirts and capris in the day to long pants with coats and sweatshirts at night. Course you'll always find me in my sandals no matter the temp, but that's just me. Also, we're from Toronto, Ontario, so again, it depends on your perspective

It depends on who you ask. I know when I lived in Southern California, no-one went outside if it went below 60 degrees, because it was just too cold (and nobody owned a proper coat). I've adapted now that I've lived in Ohio for over 20 years. It can get a bit nippy in the evenings, but nothing that a light jacket normally can't handle. Of course, there are always exceptions, but I find if you have a pair of long pants and a nice jacket to throw on in the evening, you should be fine.

Sayhello

I'm the type to wear sandals and shorts in most places and temps since I was stationed in Korea and Colorado for the 5 years I was in the Army. I was just asking mostly for my parents since my mom is from South Carolina and her fiance gets cold quite easily but knows how to dress appropriately. I guess it's more for packing and planning purposes so we aren't caught off guard when we get off the plane.

I'm the type to wear sandals and shorts in most places and temps since I was stationed in Korea and Colorado for the 5 years I was in the Army. I was just asking mostly for my parents since my mom is from South Carolina and her fiance gets cold quite easily but knows how to dress appropriately. I guess it's more for packing and planning purposes so we aren't caught off guard when we get off the plane.

We pack for California the same way we pack for Florida. A little bit of everything. That way you can be prepared for any weather. Best piece of advice is to plan to dress in layers. That way you can add or remove as needed.

I live in San Diego- generally LA/orange county is a few degrees warmer than where i live. Days can be 70-80s and nights can be as low as 40s in a cold snap. Most nights are 50's, but if the wind is coming from the ocean it can feel cooler. I generally will wear a t-shirt/shorts during the day and either shorts or jeans at night. Also at night either have a windbreaker/northface shell or a sweathshirt/hoodie. Layers are smart as early morning can be high 50's/low 60s but feel "nippy" till the sun rises.

Last edited:
I grew up in Southern California, and I'd say expect anything from low 60s during the day to high 80s!

It totally varies but is similar to how late fall is in NC. Pants and either short sleeves or thin long sleeves during the day. Add a layer for nighttime.

Like everyone else said, it depends.... Usually, we get a week of rain and a week of extremely warm weather. However, it's always smart to plan for cooler mornings and evenings, and warmish mid-days. This past winter was unusually rainy for us, and we won't know until right before whether we'll have wet or dry weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!