Quick Question

Donald23

Mouseketeer
My DH has just broken his foot in three places and we leave for WDW in 8 days.

My thoughts are we should stick with our plan and go but how hard will it be on him???

He cannot put any weight on the foot for at least three weeks.

We plan on getting a wheelchair or scooter but will he still have to wait in the long lines in the heat or will they let him wait somewhere until we get to the front of the line and he can just met us. What do they do?

I think I read where they can give you a special guest assistance permit. Does a broken foot count for guest assistance?

Thanks for any information that can be given.

::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

Hi, Donald23!

I'm going to copy in what our fearless leader (our wonderful moderator Sue) posts about off-site rental versus onsite rental.

"Manual (push) wheelchairs and ecvs can be rented from the parks, but they are first come, first serve and they can sometimes run out. They are unlikely to run out of wheelchairs unless you go during a really busy time, but people have posted getting to a park a few hours after opening and finding all the ecvs were already rented out. The wheelchairs and ecvs are not allowed to leave the park they were rented from. There is no guarantee that one will be available at a second park if you park hop.

The resorts have a limited number of manual wheelchairs to loan, but they don't have ecvs. Some people have reported good expereinces with getting a wheelchair from their resort. Others have found the available wheelchair was not in good condition or not a size they needed. People have reported it took from minutes to days to get a more appropriate one. So, eve if you plan to get one from the resort, it's a good idea to take the rental info along.
Here's a list of off-site places that DIS posters report renting from:

Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
(800)747-0246

http://www.scootaround.com/ Not much feedback. Several people who reported they had no problems.
All of them have had good reports and will deliver to your resort. Randy's requires that you be there when they deliver (which might be an advantage fro someone who has questions or needs a demonstration). The others will deliver and pick up from bell services."

"We plan on getting a wheelchair or scooter but will he still have to wait in the long lines in the heat or will they let him wait somewhere until we get to the front of the line and he can just met us. What do they do?"

Almost all of the lines at WDW have mainstream queues, so your husband will be able to take his ECV or wheelchair right into the line with him. Each park has a guidebook for disabilities and that will give you all of the information on how each ride handles wheelchairs or ECV's. Generally if a person is using a wheelchair or ECV, they don't need a Guest Assistance Card because the purpose of that card is to help CM's know what to do with a not visible disability. I need one to wait out of the sun for the very few queues that don't have shade and we wait the same length of time as everyone else, except out of the sun.

If your husband is going to have crutches and rent an ECV from an off-site provider, then ask for a crutch holder with the ECV. This isn't something you can get with the ECV's at the parks, just from an off-site provider.

Any other questions, feel free to ask! I know that somewhere there is a link to an online version of the Disabilities Guidebook, but I have no idea where it is(smile).

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

I sympathize with your DH. I am recovering from a broken foot. Although I use the ECV regularly for other issues I recommend that you do rent from an off site vendor for DH. The freedom it gives both of you is wonderful. A manual(push) wheelchair can be very tiring. Unless DH has other medical issues that dictate he must wait out of the heat etc. then you won't need a Guest Assistance Card. Most attractions are accessible to the ECV and if not a CM will direct your party appropriately.
Have a great trip. Remind DH to elevate his foot whenever possible , This I learned from experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter