• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

R: Large Group Idea

piratesmate

<font color=red>Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue t
I've used this recipe for serving a group of people (10 - 15?) at parties, showers, etc.

Company Sausage & Meatballs

2 lb hamburger
1 c oatmeal
1/2 c parmesan cheese
2 eggs
1/4 c bread crumbs (I use Italian bread crumbs)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp oregano
pepper to taste

Combine ingredients & make small meatballs. ( I use a melon baller.) (about 60+ meatballs)

Microwave about 20 at a time on high for 3 minutes - just to start the cooking.. (Cover with waxed paper.) Do the same with ~30 sausage links. (I use Jimmy Dean skinless links.)

Combine in a large pot or crock pot the following:
32 oz ketchup
1 qt water
1/4 c brown sugar
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp yellow mustard (I use brown)
3/4 c BBQ sauce
1/2 c cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt or powder
2 tsp Worcestership sauce
1 1/2 tsp BBQ spice (optional)
fresh onion & garlic, minced (optional)

Simmer sausage & meatballs for 6 hours. Serve with noodles, rice or a good bread.

Wow - that sounds good for a party. Wonder if my crock pot would hold all that?

I used to make this in my 5 qt Dutch oven - at least I think that was the size. I haven't made it since DH bought me a set of Circulon. I forgot when I posted this that I have the really large size, oval crock. (maybe 6 or 7 qts, I forget)

I like to be able to throw things in the crock because I can leave it unattended. The original recipe was to be done on the stove - you just can't leave the house.

Although it drives the kids crazy to smell this cooking all day, it's worth the wait! If you think it won't fit, why don't you try cutting it in half?

BTW - I've used bought meatballs already for this, but I like it best with the really small ones so I usually make my own for this.

One of my future purchases is going to be a bigger crock pot. I have the 5 quart, but I'm going to get myself a 6 quart.

Or, Beth, you could just do what I did. . . DH didn't want me to spend the $$ on a new crockpot, so I just asked for it for Christmas from my mother. It beats underwear!!! (That's what we get if we don't give her ideas early enough! LOL
:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter