Rabbits

DRRluvsWDW

We want The Kitchen Sink! Proud TwistStars T&T Mo
Does anyone know how to ELIMINATE the rabbits in my yard?

They are eating everything! Fire bushes, evergreens, wine and roses, tulips are long gone. We have chicken wire around some, but that is so tacky!

I know of spraying predator urine, but that has to be reapplied often and it smells.

My DIS friends help so much, I figure someone here will know the answer!
Thanks!
Denise:flower3:

A dog would do it, mine just chases them, not like squirrels! We wound up trapping and releasing the chipmunks, (our dogs didn't mind them at all) that could work with rabbits too.
Bobbi:goodvibes

No dog here:sad2:
I was happy to see a coyote the other morning, but today at sunrise there were 6 rabbits (that we could see!). There are teeth nawing marks on almost every bush:mad:

Please Help!
Denise :flower3:

My Mom used Blood Meal around the bottom of her bushes for years. It was recommended by her County Extension Agent. She'd get it in the fertilizer area of the garden center. It did have to be reapplied frequently but it did work.

She now has put up a low fence that is partially buried and stands up 2 feet out of the ground. She says it was a pain to put up but it's the only thing that has been 100% effective for her.
She lives on a farm in MN so between the rabbits and deer, she really has to work hard for a garden.

My dog keeps our garden rabbit free. She's been having a blast chasing them out of our yard lately.

Dog chasing rabbits, normal and fun. DH & I chasing the rabbits, look like FOOLS!:scared1:

They have eaten half of two burning bushes, the bottom half of two evergreeens. Overnight, they have nested into the ivy and eaten the budding leaves of (sp?) spirea bushes.

Going to try the blood meal now, if that doesn't work, I am calling Elmer Fudd. Shoot da rabbit.....:rolleyes1

Thanks,
Denise:flower3:

Works:
Beagles
Fences
Diligent application of fox pee (or coyote pee, but it also attracts coyotes...a good thing if you're okay with coyotes in your neighborhood)

Doesn't work:
Anything else...at least not for long. You can try Dial soap shavings, moth balls, or any other naphthalene-containing product...but almost all my customers say it just doesn't work.

Only thing about blood meal is that it attracts carnivores...dogs, cats, rats...you get the idea.

Yesterday, my neighbor told me she saw the coyote urine @ a local nursery. I am going there today!
I can't help but wonder though, whose job is it and how do they get the urine?:scared1:

Thanks,

Yesterday, my neighbor told me she saw the coyote urine @ a local nursery. I am going there today!
I can't help but wonder though, whose job is it and how do they get the urine?:scared1:

Thanks,

Do ya really want to know?

Cages. Wire bottoms. Trays underneath.

Rabbit deterrent

Pepper spray is often given as a good rabbit deterrent but consider a wire fence around the perimeter of your garden. That may save you the frustration of having all your leafy greens become gourmet rabbit food. Pepper sprinkled on the ground around your plants may work as a deterrent. Some people recommend bath powder with talc.

I had a HUGE problem with the rabbits last year (they had eaten about 200 lilies) and tried something rather radical that I had heard about. This may sound gross to some, but I saved my daughters hair cuttings and sprinkled them around the base of the plants I wanted saved. It seemed to work, as the rabbits slowed down their activities. I have not done it yet this year, but my daughter inadvertently groomed her dog on a rather windy day about 2 weeks ago and subsequently, there was dog hair blown all around my yard. I just noticed yesterday that the front yard is being attacked again by the rabbits, but the backyard where the dog was groomed is not. Coincidence? ....... I don't know, but I think somebody in my house is getting a haircut this weekend and I am going to sprinkle it around the front yard!

Does anyone know how to ELIMINATE the rabbits in my yard?

They are eating everything!

Denise... the recommendation of blood meal I've seen used with pretty good results.
Try looking up Gerry Baker, the gardener ( he has a book out , check amazon) . He uses a lot of household ingredients. I know his beer mix is wonderful for grass.

Here we are loaded in bunnies, they seem to be living under the sheds in the area. Hawks have bagged a few, my 2 dogs exercise them and the squirrels.

I try to look for flowers and such they don't like. I seem to have enough clover to keep them happy. Heck I 've been known to toss some salad greens in the garden to keep them away from my other flowers.
I go out and try to plant the "come again" lettuces" ( grab quite a few at the garden store now)... the wood chuck likes them too! He's so big I am thinking of slinging a saddle on him and avoiding the gas pump!
Good luck, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!
:rotfl:

Works:
Beagles
Fences
Diligent application of fox pee (or coyote pee, but it also attracts coyotes...a good thing if you're okay with coyotes in your neighborhood)

Doesn't work:
Anything else...at least not for long. You can try Dial soap shavings, moth balls, or any other naphthalene-containing product...but almost all my customers say it just doesn't work.

Only thing about blood meal is that it attracts carnivores...dogs, cats, rats...you get the idea.

Ha Ha! I have a beagle puppy and he is just discovering rabbits! It is so cute. I am having a deer problem and use the awful smelling spray, but the beagle likes to roll in it! Ewww.

They also don't like allium and lavender much. I have lots and lots of allium in my garden (chives, ornamentals), and quite a bit of lavender around the perimeter. I was watching Mr. Bunny hopping around my front garden the other day, and he pretty much ate just the wild violets I've been unable to eradicate, skipping everything else.

Maybe try planting onions, chives, leeks as a border.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter