RCCL trip report! Freedom in Eastern Car Jan 26-Feb 2, 2014

Gotta tell you...if I had a job and that job let me take time off through the year? I'd do them ALL. :) Even Princess. Despite the tutu overload.

(sidenote: a rundisney article 2 weeks ago showed a woman in a green tutu that ALMOST made me want one...but I could tell that it was going way up in back, and having run behind a woman whose tutu was going way too high in back on St Paddy's Day, I don't want that to be me)

The visions this invokes are quite interesting! :goodvibes

Gotta tell you...if I had a job and that job let me take time off through the year? I'd do them ALL. :) Even Princess. Despite the tutu overload.

(sidenote: a rundisney article 2 weeks ago showed a woman in a green tutu that ALMOST made me want one...but I could tell that it was going way up in back, and having run behind a woman whose tutu was going way too high in back on St Paddy's Day, I don't want that to be me)

I think I just need to live closer... that would make a weekend trip much more doable. ;)

As for the tutu... they come in all different lengths, but I kinda feel like they only look good on certain body types. Mine is just not one of them. :rolleyes:

She was wearing running shorts underneath. What a silly thing for me to leave out of the story. Sorry to mislead and get those images into the minds of my friends!

Honestly, I didn't think about shorts or no shorts. I just pictured the high movement of the tutu. That would distract me no matter what.

I think I just need to live closer... that would make a weekend trip much more doable. ;)

As for the tutu... they come in all different lengths, but I kinda feel like they only look good on certain body types. Mine is just not one of them. :rolleyes:

But..closer to which park? :)

I bet you would look amazing in a tutu!

Honestly, I didn't think about shorts or no shorts. I just pictured the high movement of the tutu. That would distract me no matter what.

Oh thank goodness. And yes, the movement is distracting. But the thing that gets me the most about them is if a taller woman is wearing a very poofy one, and I'm trying to pass her (say, if I'm on the "run" part of my "run/walk" and she's on the "walk" part) at a normal distance, her tutu which goes beyond a normal distance between her body and mine ends up hitting my arm. And tutu material is rather scratchy, and I am a sensitive little snowflake, LOL.

Also, a really irritable jogger.

I pity my brother (for DL Half) and my buddy (for W&D). Seriously. I should have them talk with my teammates from college, to find out what a whiner-butt I can be.

Or maybe I can grow up and try to keep it all inside.

(the second to last paragraph I started singing "do you wanna build a snowman" in my head because of "buddy" turning into "we used to be best buddies" in my head.

and in the last paragraph I started singing the "Let It Go" song because of the conceal, don't reveal lyrics.

Frozen really gets into your head!)

ETA: Robert's gone back to the UK. Sigh. Today was a weirdly gloomy day (while being really hot still), sort of nostalgic though for what I don't know (maybe for living in South Carolina when I was young and even more naive or something), and just not a great day to start his trip. But as we got to the airport I checked email (he was driving) and we had been invited to a friend's pool for the afternoon, so that was nice. But again, weird day.

Non-gloomy, though...I was able to hand down a bunch of Eamon's stuff to a friend of mine AND I met her son! E's last carseat/booster, some "step 1" books, a whole bunch of clothes including many pajamas...so excited about that. :)

But..closer to which park? :)

Well, now that is the question isn't it. I suppose since I love the WDW races I would say east coast. I guess we live close enough for a weekend trip now... just not sure how well I will end up liking the DLR races.

I bet you would look amazing in a tutu!

Oh, well thank you - but no. I have tiny hips and thighs but a large perpetual pregnant belly. You can draw a straight line down from my armpits... so when I put on a tutu it jets out in a funny way due to my belly and no rump.

You have been having some warm temperatures up there haven't you. I bet you were glad to pass on E's things. When my kids were younger there was a network of us that were able to pass things around. It was great for all of us. Recycle, reuse. :goodvibes

You have been having some warm temperatures up there haven't you. I bet you were glad to pass on E's things. When my kids were younger there was a network of us that were able to pass things around. It was great for all of us. Recycle, reuse. :goodvibes

So hot. So few houses have air conditioning.

Only nice thing is that maybe we'll actually look like we had a summer at the end of summer! A little bit tanned, perhaps the hair will be a bit brighter (mine and E's at least...DH's black hair doesn't really change in the sun LOL)...

Yep. Too bad I don't have more time or money... would be fun to try some day.

Let them work the kinks out first, that's what I usually say. :)

I can't believe I found your Royal Caribbean cruise TR the same day I was looking into some deals for November 2015 for an Eastern Caribbean cruise aboard one of the RC ships!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your TR! I learned so much and loved your writing style! I am trying to convince my entire family to take a cruise next year but knew DCL was way out of our budget (twice the cost) then I stumbled upon the "get 2nd passenger 50% off". I think it sealed the deal lol I pitched it to my family on FB saying we could sail out of Baltimore, MD saving airfare (half of my family lives near MD) and we could take a 10-day cruise (oceanview) for approx $625/person (I broke it down to about $45 per person per month that they would have to save for the trip over the next 14 mos).

Anyways enough of me..... loved your pics and loved your family's cruising style. Perfect for our family. Coco Cay seems to have so much more to see than other private islands. I've only gone on one cruise aboard the Grand Princess (western Caribbean) in October 2001 so I can't compare different getaways but seems like Coco Cay had a lot going on but still peaceful. So pretty and natural :goodvibes

Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Sorry that you all were feeling so bad at the beginning but looks like the cruise was a perfect way to recoup :beach:

Thank you for this great trip report.

DH and I have planned our first cruise ever for the end of October 2014 for our 30th anniversary. We are doing the western Caribbean so different ports of call but I loved seeing the ship and reading all the information that you scanned in. Being total newbies, this helped a lot.

Subscribing! Can't wait to hear more, and thanks for adding the great pics!! We are a family of 5 booked on Freedom this October. We have only sailed DCL and are excited to see what RC is like!!
When are you going? We depart 10/26/14.

I can't believe I found your Royal Caribbean cruise TR the same day I was looking into some deals for November 2015 for an Eastern Caribbean cruise aboard one of the RC ships!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your TR! I learned so much and loved your writing style! I am trying to convince my entire family to take a cruise next year but knew DCL was way out of our budget (twice the cost) then I stumbled upon the "get 2nd passenger 50% off". I think it sealed the deal lol I pitched it to my family on FB saying we could sail out of Baltimore, MD saving airfare (half of my family lives near MD) and we could take a 10-day cruise (oceanview) for approx $625/person (I broke it down to about $45 per person per month that they would have to save for the trip over the next 14 mos).

Anyways enough of me..... loved your pics and loved your family's cruising style. Perfect for our family. Coco Cay seems to have so much more to see than other private islands. I've only gone on one cruise aboard the Grand Princess (western Caribbean) in October 2001 so I can't compare different getaways but seems like Coco Cay had a lot going on but still peaceful. So pretty and natural :goodvibes

Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Sorry that you all were feeling so bad at the beginning but looks like the cruise was a perfect way to recoup :beach:

OH, a 10 day, how amazing!

Because of how Coco is, to me it feels more private than the big long expanse of beach on Castaway. OK I know Castaway bends and there's the Pelican Plunge area, but honestly I've never been there! We get a lounger and just plant ourselves and don't explore. So far. :)

But Coco has the little inlets, and you have to go wandering to see the other inlets. The slide thing looks neat (it's not in the water but it has water on it) and the inflatables in the water look neat. We like relaxing more than spending more money to play, but I bet once DS gets older he will use his allowance to have teenage fun over there.

I know I mentioned the roosters, and it's just so neat to hear/see them. The foliage is neat, too.

Thank you for this great trip report.

DH and I have planned our first cruise ever for the end of October 2014 for our 30th anniversary. We are doing the western Caribbean so different ports of call but I loved seeing the ship and reading all the information that you scanned in. Being total newbies, this helped a lot.

When are you going? We depart 10/26/14.

Glad you liked it!

Our Royal cruise is 10/18. It's on Vision, though. That will be our smallest ship...I'm a little nervous about that but I'm sure it will be great. I liked the promenade on Freedom so much (and don't remember what Radiance was like other than GORGEOUS) so I'm trying to wrap my mind around the lack of promenade on Vision...

Have fun and happy anniversary! (our 11th is tomorrow!)

I read the whole report last night and this afternoon. I absolutely loved it! Your writing style is so fun and I like your smart aleck attitude.

We've done 3 DCL cruises and are considering RCI, either Oasis or Quantum class. The one thing we love about DCL is all the family activities, trivia, the quest, crafts etc. did you find RCI has a lot of that type of stuff? I didn't see a lot of it in your pictures but I read the whole report on my iPhone, so it's possible I may have missed it.

It sounds like you do some awesome vacays, very cool. We just recently started cruising and are do totally hooked.

I read the whole report last night and this afternoon. I absolutely loved it! Your writing style is so fun and I like your smart aleck attitude.

We've done 3 DCL cruises and are considering RCI, either Oasis or Quantum class. The one thing we love about DCL is all the family activities, trivia, the quest, crafts etc. did you find RCI has a lot of that type of stuff? I didn't see a lot of it in your pictures but I read the whole report on my iPhone, so it's possible I may have missed it.

It sounds like you do some awesome vacays, very cool. We just recently started cruising and are do totally hooked.

Thanks!

We have been doing some pretty cool vacations. That's all going to have to slow down because my MIL's health is failing and she absolutely positively refuses any sort of assisted living etc, so someone has to find a space for her, and "tag, we're it!" Alas, we live in a condo with no room. Which means...home ownership is on the horizon. Le sigh. We've had a great, long run at happily renting and never worrying about a washer and dryer or a roof or anything at all... And now we have to join most of our peers in mowing lawns and planting flowers and wondering why the water heater is acting weird.

But first we have to find a place that has suitable space for us all (and, as she has ordered, that we will still be happy with later on down the road).

I think that because we weren't really up to all the family stuff like that, we didn't notice it. Our kidlet had fun in the clubs once he started going, and until then he was really only interested in the arcade. They did crafts in the kid's club, I know that. He has a pillowcase and a bandana that were decorated there.

Maybe check out my scans of the Compasses when you're on your computer and you'll see more stuff than we took part in? I can't guaranteed that there's anything listed, but it's a possibility.

(we aren't really into that stuff on DCL either, FWIW)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter