Realistic Day Drive

jmcross

One way to get tagged is to have a tag sale :)
We are looking to go from Disneyland to Santa Barbara and down to Laguna Beach and back to Disneyland all in one day on a Friday. Is this possible to do in one day? We are first timers and have no idea what to expect for traffic.

Thanks for your input!!

Joanne

Not a California native but based on our several trips I think it is a lot of driving. I would just pick one. You're looking at 6 hours in the car at least.

I suppose it's possible but I would not recommend doing it, you'll spend all your time driving (as PP's directions show). Pick one or the other and enjoy the beach/town!

Even DL to Santa Barbara and back in a day is a lot of driving, and unless you leave super early or come back super late you are going to hit bad LA rush-hour traffic one direction or the other. If there' something specific in Santa Barbara you need to see it might be worth it, but if it's just a "drive up the coast" idea I'd go south and hit Laguna to Oceanside for that feel.

PHXscuba

Even DL to Santa Barbara and back in a day is a lot of driving, and unless you leave super early or come back super late you are going to hit bad LA rush-hour traffic one direction or the other. If there' something specific in Santa Barbara you need to see it might be worth it, but if it's just a "drive up the coast" idea I'd go south and hit Laguna to Oceanside for that feel.
PHXscuba
You can also drive from DL to Huntington Beach and then head south on the PCH to Laguana .

Are you thinking of driving from DLR to Malibu and then south to Laguna? That could be a stressful day with traffic. I would choose one direction, either north or south, and then stick with it. If you choose Malibu, you could see the Santa Monica Pier and maybe the Getty Villa, in addition to the beach. If you choose Laguna, then, as has been mentioned already, you could see Huntington Beach and continue south on PCH. You could see the Pageant of the Masters in the evening. That is a fun thing to do in Laguna in the summer.

Are you thinking of driving from DLR to Malibu and then south to Laguna? That could be a stressful day with traffic. I would choose one direction, either north or south, and then stick with it. If you choose Malibu, you could see the Santa Monica Pier and maybe the Getty Villa, in addition to the beach. If you choose Laguna, then, as has been mentioned already, you could see Huntington Beach and continue south on PCH. You could see the Pageant of the Masters in the evening. That is a fun thing to do in Laguna in the summer.
Which direction would you recommend if you could only choose one?

What is your main goal in making this drive? To cruise by the ocean? To see something specific? Do you want high end or low end?

Then I would head south, enjoy some time at Huntington Beach. Then perhaps lunch at Las Brisas in Laguna or at the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel (the view from the lounge is lovely). The hotel's beach is public access, so anyone can go down there. Shopping in Laguna. End the day with The Pageant of the Masters (a summer tradition in Laguna). Cruising by the ocean should make for a relaxing day, not a stressful one. Soak in the sun and the sights and enjoy!

Last edited:
Then I would head south, enjoy some time at Huntington Beach. Then perhaps lunch at Las Brisas in Laguna or at the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel (the view from the lounge is lovely). The hotel's beach is public access, so anyone can go down there. Shopping in Laguna. End the day with The Pageant of the Masters (a summer tradition in Laguna). Cruising by the ocean should make for a relaxing day, not a stressful one. Soak in the sun and the sights and enjoy!
Thanks so much!!

I agree with everyone who said to head south and enjoy the sights. Pageant of the Masters runs from July through beginning of September, and tickets go fast. If you'd like to visit a California Beach that is not clean raked every day try Crystal Cove State Park, and eat at the Beach Combers Restaurant there. http://www.crystalcovestatepark.org/beaches-2/

Laguna Beach has some of the prettiest coves in the area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter