Recent SSR stay

MrsTomMorrow14

Earning My Ears
I am writting to say how disappointed we were at Saratoga Springs. First just the availability of things are far. Everything there you have to catch a bus or walk a good distance (we were in the Paddock close to congress park). Room 6812 I believe. So trying to grab a snack or drinks isn't easy. They had one vending machine and it was about 6 drink options only.
Second, the quality of the room was poor. Everything was old and worn looking. Even the mirror frame had a huge burn spot in it. We had called to have housekeeping bring more coffee and cups when they came to take out the trash and nothing was left (after getting in close to midnight every night we weren't gonna call and wait around longer). They didn't stock it until our last night. I know it isn't one of the deluxe resorts like The Grand Floridian but our room the first night at All Star Movies was much nicer. The mattress in our room was horrible. I literally had so much back pain from it some days I could hardly walk at the parks. I would have to stop every 30 minutes just to sit.
Third, it was highly inconvenient to have to walk to another section of the resort just to wash some clothes. I would have though laundry would be in at least every building for the suites. I don't mind using a communal laundry but I had two options. One was walk about 3 building one way or the other was to cross the street and go to Congress Park pool area.
The most disturbing event was the night before we had to catch the magical express at 5:50 am and I had called to arrange bell services. I requested someone around 5:20am. They said no one would be available at that time, but they could come at 04:15am. We were not waking up over 45 minutes early to go sit in the lobby with nothing open (no breakfast, no shops). We were forced to carry our luggage to the bus stop (across the street) and take the Hollywood Studios bus to The Springs stop. Then we were hoping to check our luggage for our flight and no one was there either- so again we carried our luggage to the bus and to the airport.
Overall we were just very disappointed in SSR. We had high hopes for it because a lot of DVC people we talk to love it.

Doing laundry at a resort with multiple building is never convenient. PVB, OKW and SSR are the three DVC resorts that have that issue. SSR has started a refurbishment and should be done in 18 months or so. The new rooms are amazing and some of the old rooms are pretty bad, but some are still in good shape. We stayed at VGF and the kitchen cabinets in our 2 bedroom were in awful shape along with a hole in the floor. If you looked from 20 feet away the room was beautiful, but if you got within 5 feet there were tons of issues. We did not let these issues ruin our vacation. All resorts get used and worn.

Were you staying on a points reservation or a cash reservation? That can make a difference in the service you receive from Housekeeping.

When there is only one building, that one building has a single laundry room. When there are multiple buildings, the laundry room is usually close to the pool. It's been that way since 1993.

As for the condition of SSR, it is currently undergoing a hard renovation. They only do one or two buildings, maybe one or two floors at a time. They started this summer and it won't be complete until late next year or 2021. The Paddock has a counter service at the pool. Or you could purchase items at the store at the Carriage House (check in area building).

We are staying in SSR in December (over New Years). Never been there before. We have a 2 bedroom suite, so I am hoping there is a washer/dryer in our suite as expected. While I'd love a newer refurbished room, and am also hoping to get a room with that nice jacuzzi tub, so...we'll see.

I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed in the resort overall. I hope you had a wonderful time at the parks though and that overall your vacation was magical :yay:

Arguably, the laundry rooms at Jambo, BRV and BWV are pretty inconvenient to a lot of units.

I am sorry to hear about the issues. Just one comment about airline check in. No matter what resort you were at, you would have to take your luggage with you to the airport. First, it doesn’t open until 5 am and in order to ensure your luggage makes your flight, you have to be flying out at leas t 3 hours or more from when you check in with them, So the earliest your flight can be, on the safe side, would be 8:30 am.

So this aspect of your trip was not a result of being at SSR. I have not found any of the laundry options for studios convenient, other than when I got lucky and stayed in The Grandstand section of SSR and we were in the building right near the pool. Luck of the draw I guess.

Unfortunately, SSR is a big resort and some things have to be planned for.

I am sorry to hear about the issues. Just one comment about airline check in. No matter what resort you were at, you would have to take your luggage with you to the airport. First, it doesn’t open until 5 am and in order to ensure your luggage makes your flight, you have to be flying out at leas t 3 hours or more from when you check in with them, So the earliest your flight can be, on the safe side, would be 8:30 am.

So this aspect of your trip was not a result of being at SSR. I have not found any of the laundry options for studios convenient, other than when I got lucky and stayed in The Grandstand section of SSR and we were in the building right near the pool. Luck of the draw I guess.

Unfortunately, SSR is a big resort and some things have to be planned for.

Our flight was for 850am and I had checked and saw it the airport check in opened at 5am. We got to the front at 530 and no one was there.

Were you staying on a points reservation or a cash reservation? That can make a difference in the service you receive from Housekeeping.

When there is only one building, that one building has a single laundry room. When there are multiple buildings, the laundry room is usually close to the pool. It's been that way since 1993.

As for the condition of SSR, it is currently undergoing a hard renovation. They only do one or two buildings, maybe one or two floors at a time. They started this summer and it won't be complete until late next year or 2021. The Paddock has a counter service at the pool. Or you could purchase items at the store at the Carriage House (check in area building).
We were staying on points. I know they are doing renovations but just the over all condition is exhausted. Seriously staying at the value resort our room was much nicer. Just kinda disappointed in the condition they let the DVC rooms get to.

Our flight was for 850am and I had checked and saw it the airport check in opened at 5am. We got to the front at 530 and no one was there.

Sorry, I read your post aNd confused the line regarding bell services and the 4:15 am time. Then someone should have been then when you got to front, if it was after 5.

When we were there in October, we had to take our luggage too.but only because I read the sign wrong and thought it closed at 1. Showed up at 12:30 and nope...closed!

Sorry, I thought your DME was at 5:30. Then someone should have been then when you got to front.
Yeah DME pick up time was 550am. They said bell services could only help us at 415am with our bags. Which after going to bed at midnight was just not happening after 4 days of 5am wake up and midnight bedtimes... lol

Laundry was in next building at Poly. The buildings were close together. No big deal to walk over.

We are staying in SSR in December (over New Years). Never been there before. We have a 2 bedroom suite, so I am hoping there is a washer/dryer in our suite as expected. While I'd love a newer refurbished room, and am also hoping to get a room with that nice jacuzzi tub, so...we'll see.

I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed in the resort overall. I hope you had a wonderful time at the parks though and that overall your vacation was magical :yay:
All 1 bedrooms, 2 bedrooms, grand villas, bungalows and cabins in DVC inventory all have a their own washer and dryer. They usually give you one, sometimes 2 things of laundry detergent. Some people just bring some pods in a ziplock bag to use.

All 1 bedrooms, 2 bedrooms, grand villas, bungalows and cabins in DVC inventory all have a their own washer and dryer. They usually give you one, sometimes 2 things of laundry detergent. Some people just bring some pods in a ziplock bag to use.
Also laundry detergent is free now, along with towel and coffee. Just so people are aware and might not be. I guess our dues now cover this cost.

Additional Amenity Requests
You’ll be provided with the following amenities at no extra charge at the start of your stay and during each Housekeeping service. These amenities can also be replenished upon request at no additional charge:
  • Coffee Package: Includes 1 package of coffee, 8 sugars, 8 creamers, 8 artificial sweeteners
  • Towel Package: Includes 4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 4 washcloths, 1 bath mat
  • Laundry Detergent (only in 1-, 2- and 3-Bedroom Villas): Includes 1 box for 1 load of laundry

Just for clarification. DVC has villas, not suites. Suites usually come with access to a concierge lounge. DVC villas do not unless you are in one of the five two bedroom lockoff villas on the 6th floor of Jambo House (specifically noted as Concierge Villas).

The laundry detergent as well as the dish detergent is now a plant based liquid detergent (ECOS). The laundry detergent comes in a two load bottle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!