Recent visit to Kowloon and Disneyland HK during political unrest

ionz13

Mouseketeer
Hi all!

My wife and I just got back from visiting Kowloon and HKDL for four days (really 3.5 b/c of the travel). When we booked our trip we were a bit worried about all the riots and people getting hurt, etc. We were staying at the Dorsett Mongkok on the Kowloon side. We had no problems traveling around. We used a mix of the MTR, buses and subways, taxi, and the hotel shuttle service. No problems getting around.

We planned to go to HKDL on Thursday, 01-09-2020. We took the MTR very early b/c I thought it may be crowded on the subway with the early AM commute. We left our hotel around 8:30 and arrived at Disneyland around 9:30. It was not crowded at all at this time. The park did not open till 10:30, so we walked to Disneyland hotel to check it out. Got some stickers and some pictures with Goofy. Short walk to the hotel and back. Nice weather for us too, only needed a light jacket for the nighttime.

Once the park opened, we went straight to the Iron man experience and waited about 10 min. This was mainly b/c they had just loaded one room and we were the first to be on. All the rides we never crowded, the longest wait was for Jungle cruise, about 15 min. All the rides that we wanted to go on, Pooh, Antman, Mystic manor, Grizzly gulch, were pretty much walk on and board. Mystic Manor we had a short wait b/c of the "elevator" room (like the haunted mansion). Not too crowded until about 3-4 pm, I think a lot of the locals were starting to come after school. There were a lot of food shops/restaurants that were closed. For the restaurants that were open, some of them did not have the full menu available, at explorer's club, they only had the Indian and Southeast Asia food available. Also a handful of rides, but we still had a good time.

As far as the political unrest, we felt perfectly fine walking around. No signs of rioting except some graffiti. We had no problems getting around. No delays, shutdowns, etc. We did download the HK taxi app to select a taxi driver that spoke English. Does require to have a HK phone number, but we were able to get a cheap sim card at the airport for about $8 USD. The driver will call you once you confirm your booking and let you know how far away they are.

Any other questions, I can try to assist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!