Recession Impacts

DmaxHawk

Watcher 3
How has the economy impacted you? For those who visit DLR frequently, has it caused you to refrain for cut back on your visits?

What about DLR itself? Has anyone seen less guests, more guests, same? What about purchases? Has anyone noticed an increase or decrease of merchandise purchased.

A friend of mine, who had recently returned from WDW, said there is no recession for Disney. It got me thinking and wondered what your views are.

Every once in awhile someone hopefully asks if there are less crowds at DLR because of the recession. And as you can see from that other link, that doesn't seem to be the case. I think more locals are staying home instead of going on vacation so DLR is a logical choice for a day trip or mini vacation. I wonder if there might be less people going to DLR for a "real" vacation (meaning staying at a hotel for 4+ days). Although I've noticed a LOT of people posting recently about being WDW vets who want to try DLR for the first time so I'm wondering if some people are still looking for a disney vacation but are trying to reduce the cost so DLR is a logical choice for them too.

From my perspective, the recession seems like it's increased crowds but I don't know about merchandise, etc.

For us the recession has been pretty tough. My dh has not gotten a raise in almost 5 years and then last year he had to take a 10/hr pay cut. He doesn't get paid vacation but rather they pay them 2/hr into an acct to be used for time off whether it be sick, vacation whatever but you get it deposited monthly and then it is up to YOU to reimburse yourself if you are off. Well they cut THAT back to 1/hr as well and now they are talking about taking it away completely. I know for us we usually use it to pay our car ins, car regs and for Christmas. We don't even use it for vacations, sadly we NEED it to pay our other bills! Then this year he was laid off several times including almost the entire month of December which is the WORST possible month for us because all our big bills, like our ins, regs and Christmas are all due plus my daughter's birthday. So it has been a TOUGH few years.

I have had an annual pass since 06 but one of the first things to go was those. We ALL had them up till this year and I was the only one who renewed mine because I have a ladies trip I go on every year and I almost didn't even do THAT because of times being tough.

For us we would renew our ap's even if we didn't necessarily have a trip planned to get the 20 bucks off each and just to have them available. It made last minute trips a lot more accessbile. But that has ended. If we don't KNOW we are going on a trip we don't buy them and since we could only afford one trip this past year we just bought park hoppers.

I think one of the reasons that maybe there is still a lot of park attendance is I know for us anyway Disney is one of the most affordable vacations we can do for our larger family. We had a family of 5 up until this year when my 18 year old stepdaughter moved out but even with 4 of us it gets expensive and we live in Northern CA and even if we fly if we can get the cheap tickets it is pretty reasonable. I always find the deals on the hotels and we eat offsite quite a bit at Dennys and McD's and esp if we have AP's after that initial trip the tix are taken care of. That is the biggest expense in my opinion.

I know we have wanted to go to Hawaii or some other places but airfare alone is a killer and then when you add hotels, food and activities it gets SO spendy. People always ask me why we go to DL so much but for us it is the cheapest thing we CAN do as a family and we love it there so it is all good. :)

I agree though the past year or so that I have been it sure doesn't seem like it is affecting Disney in the parks OR the stores.

How has the economy impacted you? For those who visit DLR frequently, has it caused you to refrain for cut back on your visits?
It definitely has. I have been injured for quite some time so not only have I been cut back hours at work, but I have been at work a lot less than normal as well. we normally have tried to fly down, once every 3-4 months but have only been once since the last 6 months and may not be able to go at all again because of the lack of financials. Only hoping things will pick up soon.

It definitely has. I have been injured for quite some time so not only have I been cut back hours at work, but I have been at work a lot less than normal as well. we normally have tried to fly down, once every 3-4 months but have only been once since the last 6 months and may not be able to go at all again because of the lack of financials. Only hoping things will pick up soon.

Sorry about your injury. Hope you get as well as possible.

Well lets hope things do turn around, we need to hang in there for now.

It did impact us- my husband was out of work for almost two yrs. We were unable to go to Disney because of that. He hasn't been back to work for a full yr, but his job is going great. We moved out of state, and the economy here is much stronger than it was where we lived before.

All I see are crowds and crowds it gets more crowded every year. Maybe the fact that there are more APs than ever is an indication of a healthy Disney economy or it shows people are more wise with their cash and can appreciate the value of an AP.
Either way it's crowded, the shops are crowded the restaurants are crowded. :scared1:

All I see are crowds and crowds it gets more crowded every year. Maybe the fact that there are more APs than ever is an indication of a healthy Disney economy or it shows people are more wise with their cash and can appreciate the value of an AP.
Either way it's crowded, the shops are crowded the restaurants are crowded. :scared1:

Disney is only down by like 4% however we have an increase in guest by like 15%.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter