Recommend your treadmill

XoxoAmy

Attends every runDisney weekend
There are some old threads on this but nothing in the past few years....

We're in the market for an at home treadmill. Ideally I'd like to stay under $2000. We don't need programs or classes on the screen, just the basics (time, speed, etc). It must fold up so we can get it out of the way - we don't need to fold it up every day, but periodically (once a month). I will primarily use this for longer runs (7-12 miles) in the winter when weather doesn't cooperate. My husband is 260lbs and will use it to walk (bad knees). Grateful for any recommendations.

Thanks!

We have a Sole treadmill. DH is about your DH's weight and he uses it on occasion to walk. It is a very nice unit, folds up and has a variety of modes and inclines. We've had it a number of years and I think we paid around $1700. It doesn't get used nearly enough to justify the space it takes up but every time I suggest finding a new home for it his answer is that he should be using it. For me, I joined Planet Fitness in September and I can bring him for free with my membership. I like that I can use a wide variety of machines, including the treadmill, for a low monthly cost. I'm hoping to eventually persuade hi to give the treadmill to our niece and have him come with me more often. Maybe PF would be an option for you as there is no contract.

We have a Sole treadmill. DH is about your DH's weight and he uses it on occasion to walk. It is a very nice unit, folds up and has a variety of modes and inclines. We've had it a number of years and I think we paid around $1700. It doesn't get used nearly enough to justify the space it takes up but every time I suggest finding a new home for it his answer is that he should be using it. For me, I joined Planet Fitness in September and I can bring him for free with my membership. I like that I can use a wide variety of machines, including the treadmill, for a low monthly cost. I'm hoping to eventually persuade hi to give the treadmill to our niece and have him come with me more often. Maybe PF would be an option for you as there is no contract.
Funny you should say that because I am a PF member! That's where I use the treadmill currently. I do love the $10 monthly fee, but sometimes just getting out of the house during a bad storm (I'm in New England) is the challenge. And being able to roll off it and into my own shower is very appealing....

I found a Sole F80 on marketplace for $100. So that's what I have. (The owners were moving and were basically just getting rid of stuff, I usually see Soles go for $500-1000 where I live, on FB marketplace.) It's huge. It's very heavy. But the deck isn't super bouncy, it goes up to to 12mph and 12% incline.

If you do look for a used one, when you first turn them on it'll tell you how many hours are on it, so you can get a sense of how much it has actually been used.

I have a Nordictrack exp 7i (a slightly older version of the 10i and 14i that are now on sale) and don't love it. I'm about your husband's size but do use it for 3-5 mile runs just a few times a month and I've had multiple issues with the deck and belt in less than a year (despite it having a stated 300lb weight limit). Thankfully it's still under warranty but customer service for replacement parts has been pretty slow both times I've needed it (meaning it then sits completely unused for 6 weeks or more while aiting for repairs.)

I have a Matrix 50 and don't recommend it. Got got it in Feb 2020 to replace a 15 year old treadmill. After less than 6 months it started making strange noises and we had to get it maintenanced but they didn't completely make the noises stop. Then after about 2 years, the entire control panel broke and they had to replace it. I expected fewer problems.

We've got the Sole. They have a great motor warranty. Had two high end treadmills in the past. Gone through multiple decks, motors, and circuit boards with them. The Sole has been good so far the past two years with significant use.

I have a proform 6.5 I got from Costco in 2019. It does speed and incline. No screen, just the digital readings. It does have a stand attached that fits an iPad. I use it in the winter when it's to icy or cold out, so it doesn't get a ton of use but it does the job. I didn't want to get a fancy tread when I knew it would only be used when I'd be stuck inside. I think it was under $700. My husband is 6'3" and the deck is long enough for him.

I have a proform 6.5 I got from Costco in 2019. It does speed and incline. No screen, just the digital readings. It does have a stand attached that fits an iPad. I use it in the winter when it's to icy or cold out, so it doesn't get a ton of use but it does the job. I didn't want to get a fancy tread when I knew it would only be used when I'd be stuck inside. I think it was under $700. My husband is 6'3" and the deck is long enough for him.
1. My preference is for DOT asphalt. Staying on the treadmill aggravates my carpal tunnel and the arthritis that seems to have begun to form in my hands.
2. look at used. So many people buy brand new treadmills, and within months it is used primarily as a drying rack for clothes and towels. The secondhand sporting goods stores usually have a bunch of them.
3. For nearly any used treadmill, I would recommend investing some time in cleaning dirt and dust out from the inside so that you do not get slippage of the treadmill belt or the drive motor belt. I had to do this with the wife’s treadmill to get it to where it was usable on the few occasions that I try to put in some miles in the basement instead of outside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter