reef safe sunscreen

I am learning about reef safe sunscreens being required. We were not aware of this on our Hawaiian honeymoon over 20 years ago, but now I know it is important! My kids are prone to eczema and have extremely sensitive allergic skin, and they only use one brand of sunscreen, since they were babies. I’m not sure it’s even reef safe. Do they check bags and enforce this rule. I am going to try my best to find something safe for them here at home before they leave but I also don’t want them to have an eczema flare up or allergic reaction to a new product before or during our trip. Any advice or brands recommended. Thanks!

I am learning about reef safe sunscreens being required. We were not aware of this on our Hawaiian honeymoon over 20 years ago, but now I know it is important! My kids are prone to eczema and have extremely sensitive allergic skin, and they only use one brand of sunscreen, since they were babies. I’m not sure it’s even reef safe. Do they check bags and enforce this rule. I am going to try my best to find something safe for them here at home before they leave but I also don’t want them to have an eczema flare up or allergic reaction to a new product before or during our trip. Any advice or brands recommended. Thanks!
I would ask their dermatologist if you don’t get any recommendations.

It is my understanding that "reef safe" from a Hawaii-rule-standpoint only means that it doesn't contain oxybenzone or octinoxate. There are currently tons of sunscreen brands that are excluding these ingredients. Even the mainstream brands are starting to remove them.

From what I have read, the only actual, completely reef-safe sunscreens are the mineral sunscreens, and they are apparently also good for sensitive skin. But IMO, they aren't as good because they don't protect from the sun as well and even the good ones leave a weird ghost-white tint to your skin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter