Reflections Construction Update 03/28/20

bama_ed

It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
Folks,

I haven't seen much about the hotel/dvc being built behind Trails End since the Covid-19 shutdown so I went out on Google Earth and grabbed the most recent satellite photo from March 28, 2020. I can't recall when most big construction projects got shut down (soon after the Covid shutdown?) but today being May 7, 2020 means it probably hasn't changed a whole lot since this photo was taken. This is what it looks like:

Reflections 032820 Google Earth View.jpg

Note I've added three pushpins for reference.

At the bottom is the new Tri-Circle-D Ranch Horse Barn (since the old one is gone I guess this one is operational now or they are temporarily storing the horses off-site). Note the dark brown squiggle rectangle "under" the barn is where the shoeing will take place now.

In the middle is the Pioneer Hall complex with Hoop Dee Doo Review and Trails End. Across the way is still the Settlement Trading Post with the new playground in between that we've seen pictures of. However, the outline/perimeter appears to be a "hidden Mickey" shape with the darker fill/play surface. Does that to you?

Over on the left side there is a borrow pit where the "borrow" sand/dirt from that spot (leaving a hole) to build up and improve the drainage of the build site. This technique was used in a few different places then the Star Wars Land and hotel were built over at Studios. (hotel still under construction). The road to bottom left is the campground road that goes by loop 2000 (and to the new entrance/construction road off the old STOL runway. And finally the road off to the left side is the old road to Wilderness Lodge that has the Exercise trail next to it.

Other than the barn and the few sediment/runoff ponds, not much to see yet. But you can see the building outline behind Pioneer Hall starting to take shape and the pool/lazy river area in the gray center circle area.

What do you folks think?

Bama Ed

PS - I don't know if I want them to hurry up and get the build finished or take their sweet time....

And a follow-up showing (one of) the Reflections construction access road (highlighted in yellow) but what is the cleared area circled in blue?

Reflections 0328 Access Road View.PNG

For orientation, MK toll booth is lower right corner, the STOL runway with storage trailers is the white line parallel to the bottom, and Wilderness Lodge is near the right lower corner.

So what's the blue been cleared for? Another resort/DVC? The footprint is similar in size to that of WL. And it's sort of in the middle of nowhere. :confused3

Bama Ed

Last edited:
And a follow-up showing (one of) the Reflections construction access road (highlighted in yellow) but what is the cleared area circled in blue?

View attachment 493465

For orientation, MK toll booth is lower right corner, the STOL runway with storage trailers is the white line parallel to the bottom, and Wilderness Lodge is near the right lower corner.

So what's the blue been cleared for? Another resort/DVC? The footprint is similar in size to that of WL. And it's sort of in the middle of nowhere. :confused3

Bama Ed
I would assume this is a staging area.

Initially likely for the 1000+ pilings that will be needed

I would assume this is a staging area.

Initially likely for the 1000+ pilings that will be needed

Very well could be.

The old runway area has a lot of storage trailers, work trailers, and cars parked on it. Not much space left for lots more or bigger stuff.

Bama Ed

The area in blue is a staging area that was also used for the flyover construction.
And well looks like a good area to let nature recover in your first picture.

The area in blue is a staging area that was also used for the flyover construction.

Don't think so, PaHunter. Flyover may have used the STOL runway area but this picture from Dec 2018 (after the flyover construction was finished) shows nothing but trees where the blue circle is. So it is a fairly recent ground scrape.

STOL Dec18.PNG

I highlighted the date in yellow at the bottom.

The blue circle area still puzzles me.

And well looks like a good area to let nature recover in your first picture.

We have a vine in the South called Kudzu that is fast growing and can cover vast areas quickly. Maybe somebody could sneak in and drop a few plants over the fence into the dirt. All it would take is one hot, wet summer to do its work. The invasive species team that defrocked the Fort several years ago would have to be activated to counter the kudzu attack!

Bama Ed

The cleared area by the STOL runway was part of early permits filed for Reflections (formerly Project 89). The permits were filed in 2018 around the same time core boring permits were filed to test the ground up to the water's edge.

It was named "STOLport Stockpile" and just stated "grading and stockpiling". As it was filed as part of Project 89, the stockpiling is related to Reflections. I would presume this is a staging area or holding space for construction materials and graded soil.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...ion-at-the-resorts-inactive-private-airfield/

Stolport-1.jpg

stolport-2.jpg

j

Last edited:

View attachment 493465

Bama Ed
This picture highlights my main beef with this project - why is it crowding the Fort? Land quality for construction is probably similar along the lakefront. Maybe they are thinking of developing the open space between Reflections and Wilderness Lodge sometime in the future? Also, your first photo doesn't show any dock construction - wasn't there some movement on a dock structure over the water recently?
I vote for take their sweet time and eventually abandon the project:)

In a different vein, I'm hoping that they soon finish construction on the swing bridge to allow a walking footpath from the GF to MK. That would make about a 5.3 mile circular route out of the Fort to WL and then around Bay Lake and back (starting the distance at/from the intersection of Big Pine Road and Fort Wilderness Trail down by loop 100 entrance).

YMMV.

Bama Ed

PS - that would be a 1h 45m walk or so for me when in a Preferred site. In the cool early morning light as the sun is painting the sky...... :thumbsup2

looks like "Reflections" has possibly been tabled.
I don't know if this means permanently tabled, but at least for a year +. D23 is biennial, so I would think they don't plan on anything happening for at least the next 2 years.

j

I don't know if this means permanently tabled, but at least for a year +. D23 is biennial, so I would think they don't plan on anything happening for at least the next 2 years.

j

I'll take what I can get.....and hope for more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!