Refurbishment Thoughts

As someone from the younger generation I prefer the the new uncluttered, streamlined, clean colors approach with touches of Disney. So maybe your on to something.

I tend to prefer the refurbed rooms, although I haven't stayed at all the DVC resorts yet. I've seen photos of the previous BWV rooms and I definitely prefer the refurbed room we just stayed in. I was never a fan of the comforters and prefer the white bedding. I don't really care for jetted tubs but I LOVE the air tubs that they have in the newer resorts like CCV - so nice and seems much cleaner! Next time we move I want one of those in my house. Also love the Poly and VGF rooms, although since they're newer they haven't been through a refurb yet. I'm looking forward to staying at SSR (one of our home resorts) after the refurb next year.

I guess I am a dissenter as far as the BWV refurb goes. We were there right after we built our new home so maybe I am a "materials" snob. I thought the tile in the kitchen looked like leftovers from some other construction job, and I didn't understand the choice of tile for the bathroom floors either. It all just looked "cheap" to me (and was already showing wear after just 6 months), and that is not saying that I expect high end finishes. However, in my search to build my house, I found many affordable choices for tile and just expected Disney to do a better job than they did with their access to professional designers. I don't think they really think about what would be longterm design choices that can withstand heavy wear and tear. :confused3

Edited to add: The majority of our points are at BWV, but it is my least favorite place to stay--we have had too many issues with cleanliness/mousekeeping. I assume it is a management issue.

Last edited:

If they take out all the theming, they might as well go back to the original name at OKW - Disney Vacation Club and add a 1. Then VB and HHI would be DVC 2 and DVC 3. BWV would be DVC4. Why bother with a themed outside if the inside looks like a clean Hampton Inn?

Does Disney strip away older DVC room theming and make the room look generic to push owners to buy the new resorts? Since DVC owners pay for the refurbishments, why don't they do a better job and do it more often? We stopped bringing extended family with us on vacation not knowing if we would get a run down room. DW's brother made the comment a few years ago that DVC was taking advantage of us as owners due to the condition of the room that we were assigned.

What are your thoughts on why DVC doesn't do a better job?

:earsboy: Bill

I totally agree. The resorts they are trying to sell aren't the stripped down versions the refurbishments are. The new units are MUCh more themed.

Remember when Jambo was stocked with the cool triangle plates? Those were gone quickly after it sold.

The day they take out the theming at GFV and make look like a nice generic hotel room will be the day members finally revolt.

The day they take out the theming at GFV and make look like a nice generic hotel room will be the day members finally revolt.

I don't think that the rooms at VGF have much of a theme at all to honest- especially the studios. If you took out the old-timey artwork it would look like any generic hotel room or home (a nice one, of course)

Last edited:
And by that you mean, they'll collect dues from a new batch of starry-eyed Disney lovers who buy our VGF contracts because it's right next to MK.

I feel like a lot of this is largely the evolution of a relationship.

During courtship, DVC wooed you with flowers (annual passes for OGs like you, FP+, giftcards for newbs like me), dressed nicely (theming a la OKW, triangle plates, Victorian furniture), and stayed in shape (clean floors, nice couches).

Then you said, "I do." Things were nice at first. They shouldered the housework, took you out for date nights (welcome home bookings, personal welcome home notes from your guide), but you were still in the honeymoon stage.

Soon you start to notice this strange habit they have of not washing their hands after they pee (uncleaned rooms between guests). You ask them to with a bit of disappointment in your voice, and they apologize, kiss you on the forehead (some token Disney magic compensation), and wash their hands like they should've in the first place.

After a few years and the honeymoon is over (resort fully declared and sold out). You've come to expect that they're not going to wash their hands every now and then. You cheer a little inside when you bring guests home and see they actually washed their hands before exiting the bathroom (phew, a clean room). You've come to accept a lot of this as "this is just what marriage is" ("this is what a timeshare is"), and you don't complain that they don't go to the gym anymore (sagging couches at SSR), you know they're going to leave dishes around regularly (IT failures).

Now there's a comfort to this relationship, you tell yourself. You like that, every now and then, there's an interesting conversation you'll have about something that happened at work, or some bit of news (new E ticket attractions), the timing is just right and you do the deed occasionally (Membership Magic), and you're both now prioritizing paying the bills (collecting/paying ADs) and putting a roof over your head (11-month booking).

At some point people decide, "how did I get here?" ("what happened to all the theming?") and they get out. Others will settle into the familiarity.

Everyone has a limit, but sadly, we're a replaceable asset. If we tire of the banality of this relationship (IT failures, unclean rooms, old furniture, 7-month booking, 180 day ADR, crowds, increasing prices, etc.), we're free to leave. We can walk away with great memories, but we're replaceable. Barring some major shift in how Disney does theme parks, someone else will always be willing to step in and pay our dues. When we said I do 25, 10, 5, or 1 year ago, the house won and they hold all the cards on how this relationship will play out. Best we can do is walk away when it's no longer fun.

Last edited:
I don't think that the rooms at VGF have much of a theme at all to honest- especially the studios. If you took out the old-timey artwork it would look like any generic hotel room or home (a nice one, of course)
With all the Victorian touches in the villas, Victorian photos, Victorian colors, it is very themed. Take away that Victorian look it you don't have the GF any more.

We stopped bringing extended family with us on vacation not knowing if we would get a run down room. DW's brother made the comment a few years ago that DVC was taking advantage of us as owners due to the condition of the room that we were assigned.
We definitely pick certain resorts if we are bringing guests. I really wish they would not let so much time pass between renovations. Seven years is just TOO long!

I am so excited about the upcoming renovation at SSR that I can barely stand it! It is our home and I have never been very excited about it overall. However, as our kids have gotten older and we have been DVC member and taken more and more trips , our focus and priorities have changed. With the updates to Disney Springs we are excited about staying closer to it now than ever before since our daughter likes to shop and listen to the music they often have at night ant our our son is 21 and they have some bars now. Often we dont go to the parks till mid day now and we are looking for more thing to do after the parks close so having things at Disney Springs is great.

I like the new streamlined look they used at BW and BC and OKW....I hope SSR will be great....cant wait to see the preliminary sketches...

Now that I have read the comments on the rooms, the decor of the rooms we have stayed in at WDW never came to mind or question. Since we only sleep there (after a LONG day), I don't recall anything themed, hotel like, or plain. As long as the room is clean and everything works, the kitchen is stocked with plates, etc. I'm happy.
Now Aulani is beautifully decorated, the furniture is sturdy (not saggy) and the rooms are clean and inviting. That's what we're paying for monthly.

To me, the good Disney touches are the custom touches, like the Tiki god carpet in PVB. At least make it look like they went through more than 10 pages of a design book.

But there are, to be sure, Hawaiian themed items and colors used in the decor at Aulani. Now imagine this room in plain beige, no floral or Hawaiian prints, no Hawaiian themed paintings just generic amd no engraved teak look TV cabinet, just beige. Would it be as inviting?

aulani-003.jpg

I like the lite decor at VGF.
Yes, but it is definitely Victorian era themed. The silhouettes, and understated elegance scream Victorian. ANd the pictures on the wall at BCV definitely say beach/coastline. The real Key West, on the other hand, is really all about mixing pastel colors, bright upholstery, and so forth. It is almost a pastel version of "Bohemian eclectic."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter