Rent an RV? Who can help?

MKCP5

DIS Veteran
Since our travel plans for this year have been so upended, we were thinking about renting a small motor home (just two of us) and driving to a few open outdoor destinations, staying pretty self contained, but getting the heck out of dodge for a little while. We figured that would be a safer option than hotels that may have started opening and eating out etc. Anyone have any experience with renting something like this? We don't want to tow a trailer, we would like a self contained unit. Ideas for reputable rental companies (we are in the greater Boston area) and caveats to doing something like this? Thanks so much for your thoughts and help!

Cruise America is a national RV rental chain and they are in Boston. I have not used them. Back when Uhaul was renting 27 foot Southwinds I rented from them, they had a good setup. I have also rented from a local RV rental place. Only less than perfect RV rental was one I did sight unseen from a local firm in St. Louis. RV had over 100,000 miles on it, and was running rough. Then they were waiting out front when I went to return it at the end of the rental because they had sold it and the buyer was waiting. The buyer and the RV people were NOT happy when I told them it had engine issues and was running rough.,

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rv-rental-locations/massachusetts/boston-tyngsboro

I think Flagg RV in Massachusetts rents them. There are a few places in CT too. The only thing I did find when we looked to do this one year, was that the mileage charges were pretty expensive. If you do a google search you will find a bunch of places that rent. I think I may remember another place in Uxbridge. Hope this helps!

We've used Cruise America in the past and were happy with them.
The mileage charge can be high if you plan on traveling a long distance but they include a certain amount in your cost so if you aren't over that you obviously won't spend more. We were under and they refund you the difference when you return it.
You will need to empty your tanks or be charged for that.
Not sure if you are familiar with an RV, if not they do go through it with you.

We enjoyed owning a Class C RV for a couple years. We toured 27 States and DH drove every single mile. It was back in the day of paper maps, AAA books and calling for reservations. Using the computer will make it so much easier to plan itineraries. The best camp grounds were in State and National Parks. We did not enjoy private campground that much as we were not interested in all the activities, just a quiet and hopefully scenic place to rest. Rates were nearly as much as a motel back then and I'm guessing much the same now. The convenience factor in remote areas like the North Rim of Grand Canyon can't be beat and we spent a lot of time in the southwest.

Just remember, you are still cooking, cleaning and making the bed along with other not so fun chores such as dumping your tanks. You have to think about where you stop for gas and hope you never take a wrong turn where you can't turn around. There are some tunnels and/or bridges (thinking Maryland) where you can't go through because of the propane tanks. We had fantastic trips, but just a head's up as it is more work than it seems. Good luck either way!

There are also peer to peer rentals like Outdoorsy if you are comfortable with that. Kinda like air bnb for an RV.

OP, I saw that a pp mentioned State and National Parks- just be sure to check to see if they are open.
Right now there is no camping allowed in NYS parks (may change as of June 1) but (some) private campgrounds are open.

Thanks for all your thoughts. It's definitely more expensive than what we had thought it might be, particularly the mileage charges which is where they would get us. I'm just kinda desperate to feel like there might be somewhere to go besides my back yard this summer. It's okay if that where I end up. All of this will pass eventually, but our big trip that was planned will definitely be cancelled this summer and I'm itching to explore a little :)

OP, I saw that a pp mentioned State and National Parks- just be sure to check to see if they are open.
Right now there is no camping allowed in NYS parks (may change as of June 1) but (some) private campgrounds are open.

Yes! That's definitely a big factor to check out. Thanks!

The other part to consider is that while you HAVE everything in your RV you are limited by tank space.
You might want to use the campground facilities more often than you expect, so you don't have to empty/refill your tanks as often. For example, you may want to limit your personal toilet use to in the middle of the night, but use the campground toilets during the day.
If you're going for a self propelled option, then you'll also have to think about how you're going to access places you're used to driving a regular sized vehicle. On the road, you may not fit through the drive thru. If your campsite doesn't have walking access to the sites you want to go to, you may run into issues parking your RV in regular parking lots, some of which may be gravel, instead of fully paved.

Ultimately, it's not a bad idea, but traveling with an RV does have a learning curve that I imagine will be more difficult to adjust to amid pandemic restrictions. For example, my parents first big trip out in their RV, they ran out of propane more quickly than anticipated. It was winter. Fortunately, they were in Georgia, so the nights didn't get TOO cold, but it was cold enough that they got uncomfortable.

You may be more comfortable looking into extended stay hotels, cabins, or somewhere else with a kitchenette etc and just doing a solid clean as soon as you arrive, then reject housekeeping for the duration of your stay.

Make sure to inquire about insurance options. People who are not used to driving larger vehicles can get into trouble fast. It is good to stay small on small New England roads. National parks often limit the size of campers allowed in some parks. Our favorite small campers are the class Bs built on the Sprinter chassis. They are 150k rigs so they are very expensive but nice and easy to drive.

Read trip reports so you understand what you are getting into.

Thanks! They are definitely more reasonable, price wise.
Personally I would go with outdoorsy.com or rvshare.com. I've never heard good things about cruiseamerica or any of the big companies whose RVs are only used as rentals. At least with outdoorsy or rvshare, you are renting someone's RV, and they likely use it themselves as well, so all the maintenance, etc. is up to date.

It is good to stay small on small New England roads.
I totally agree with this, especially if you are planning on a motorhome. Smaller roads are much more intimidating when driving a large wobbly Class A than the larger roads are. A Class C is probably more driver friendly for someone who is not used to driving a house on wheels.

Also, New England is full of low passes, which could put you into trouble if the height of the RV is taller than a bridge or wire you need to go under. I would download a RV or trucker navigation app for your phone that allows you to enter in the height of the RV to ensure it guides you around any low bridges or tunnels.

Here's an older article about RV rentals...I think the info on (maybe not anticipated) costs is helpful.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-...ited-States:Rv.Rental.Is.It.Right.For.Us.html
Something I think would be neat...cruiseamerica (and other rental companies I assume) has a need to relocate RVs and will rent some very inexpensively for one way trips. I was looking at renting in Denver and delivering the RV to Phoenix - their special includes pricing at $39/night, plus 1500 miles before mileage charges cut in. You could hit a few NPs along the drive - Arches, Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon. If not this year, that could be something to file away for another time.

Sounds like this could be my next thing!

The disinfecting thing would worry me though, anyone know if there is a disinfectant fogger type thing out there, portable like a mini bug bomb? I was thinking I would want one for hotel rooms and rental cars too, def in a RV which is probably the ONLY way I'll be traveling.

Something I think would be neat...cruiseamerica (and other rental companies I assume) has a need to relocate RVs and will rent some very inexpensively for one way trips. I was looking at renting in Denver and delivering the RV to Phoenix - their special includes pricing at $39/night, plus 1500 miles before mileage charges cut in. You could hit a few NPs along the drive - Arches, Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon. If not this year, that could be something to file away for another time.
Awesome point! I'd forgotten about the one way rentals. Before we bought our Georgetown we looked into renting and they seemed to be expensive (at least I thought so at the time). Then I found a one way rental from Tulsa to Rhode Island (we wanted to visit family in Boston from Missouri) for only $45ish per night with an extra 1000 miles included (the mileage from OK to RI was free). It was a smaller Class C but as we were only renting I almost jumped on it until I realized if we dropped it in RI, my sister would pick us up but she for sure wasn't going to drive us back to MO lol.

Here's an older article about RV rentals...I think the info on (maybe not anticipated) costs is helpful.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-...ited-States:Rv.Rental.Is.It.Right.For.Us.html

That is a very cool idea! Right now we're a little dismayed at all the costs. Not sure we feel like it's worth it, as someone also made the pint of you still having to do all the "work" of cooking cleaning, emptying the tank, etc which all need to be considered. It might all be too much amid a pandemic. I'm just desperate to do something...go somewhere...get out of my yard!!!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter