Renting points: add someone mid-stay

TiggerManiac

Mouseketeer
We are renting points through Dave’s for a standard studio at AKL Kidani Nov 28 - Dec 5. We have friends who may be able to come down and join us for one or two nights mid-stay, but won’t know for sure until right beforehand. Does anyone know if it would be a problem for us to add them as registered guests for one or two nights after we have checked in for our stay?

There’s only 2 of us and 2 of them, so we’d be fine as far as maximum room occupancy is concerned,

I'd just add them now since you have the space....that leaves it open for them to come whenever.

We are renting points through Dave’s for a standard studio at AKL Kidani Nov 28 - Dec 5. We have friends who may be able to come down and join us for one or two nights mid-stay, but won’t know for sure until right beforehand. Does anyone know if it would be a problem for us to add them as registered guests for one or two nights after we have checked in for our stay?

There’s only 2 of us and 2 of them, so we’d be fine as far as maximum room occupancy is concerned,
Contact David's to ask the owner to add them to your reservation. Most owners won't mind doing it and they really should be made aware of who is using the reservation that they made.

OP, one question:
Are you planning or have you already got a DP?
If, yes then you will have to purchase the DP for everyone on the reservation for the length of the stay and this must be paid for 48 hours before arrival.

I've added someone partway through a stay. Just went to front desk and gave them the name and they printed out a key card. Of course, we were under the occupancy limit and didn't have a dining plan.

I would check your rental agreements. What Disney may let you do and what is within the terms of your rental contract are not necessarily the same thing. I am not sure that the David's contract does not require that all occupancy changes must go through them.

Recent reports are mixed, but most say that the front desk refuses to add people to the room in the middle of the stay. You really need to add them before you arrive.

FWIW, I looked at my last rental agreement with David's. Occupants of the unit are listed on the contract. So, any changes to that would constitute a change in contract.

And I'd not add occupants after arrival when renting. The front desk CM's have are not always the best versed in DVC and have been known to cancel a reservation and rebook it to add the people. For the owner that means a mess with points showing up in holding in many cases and new points deducted. You'd not have a very happy owner and I imagine the broker would not be very happy either.

Your under occupancy so just ask to add them for the entire trip. However if you are getting the dining plan then you've got an issue as you'd have to pay for them too.

No dining plan to worry about. I’ll definitely read my contract in detail again and contact Dave’s when it’s much closer to the trip. I just didn’t want to bother them now when things are still so up in the air, as I know they’re generally pretty busy. I thought somebody might have done this before and could share their experience.

This is our first time renting, and I definitely want to make sure we follow all their rules so we can rent points through them again in the future. :)

No dining plan to worry about. I’ll definitely read my contract in detail again and contact Dave’s when it’s much closer to the trip. I just didn’t want to bother them now when things are still so up in the air, as I know they’re generally pretty busy. I thought somebody might have done this before and could share their experience.

This is our first time renting, and I definitely want to make sure we follow all their rules so we can rent points through them again in the future. :)
You're not "bothering" them. This is what they do. An owner who has rented points thru David's agrees to add dining plans and DME to a renter's reservation. They expect a small amount of extra work after the reservation has been made. If I were renting out my points, I would much rather make a change early than be given just a few days to accomplish it. Keep in mind that owners have lives outside of DVC and sitting on hold with Member Services may not be something that they have time to do as soon as they are contacted about the need to make changes or additions.

The front desk will tell you they can't add someone to a DVC room. Regular hotel isn't an issue but DVC has to go through the DVC side and they don't have full access. At least that is what I was told a few weeks ago when I was trying to add someone to my room. I am the DVC owner and the front desk still wouldn't do it. They said I had to call member services (or have the member call before she realized I was the member).

Now she did say if I had an extra magic band, I could just give that to my additional person to use for room access for the night which I didn't mind. I would call now and just let them add the additional people that way you don't have to worry about it and they will be listed as guest since you don't have access to call member services to add them.

I think it would be easier to add them now, and if they don't show it won't matter, as long as you'll be under occupancy anyway and you won't have a dining plan.

To formally add them to the reservation, I'd do so now or not at all. To actually formally add them they'll have to cancel and rebook the reservation creating opportunity for a mess up. The FD can add a note to the comments about their names in case there are issues they need help with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter