Requesting DAS

RkSo

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are going to WDW in Dec with our son's family of 4. My wife is recovering from having a tendon replaced in her ankle and will need a DAS. The day before my son arrives, we are going to Epcot for the Candlelight Processional. Can we bring their Park Passes with us and have them attached to the DAS or do we have to wait until they use their park passes?

Not sure if she will have it every day. Just can't stand for long periods of time.

Mobility issues no longer qualify for DAS. Guest Services will recommend a scooter or wheelchair. I'm going to recommend renting one from an outside vendor, so you can have the mobility device 24\7, in case needed. They are also usually cheaper than renting from the park, which must remain in that park.

Not sure if she will have it every day. Just can't stand for long periods of time.
If she can not stand for a long time a das will do nothing for her as it dose not provide a place to sit just a way to wait out side the line they are taking away benches and place to sit in the park she will need a mobility device whether thst a ECV wheelchair or roller. Just because she uses a mobility dose not mean she has to sit in it all the time. Someone over 18 can use the ECV when she needs to walk she can park it and walk around the area a wheelchair she can push and sit when needed

The first post of this thread has information about DAS at WDW. The typical accommodation for mobility issues (such as can't stand for long) is to recommend a wheelchair or ECV. The vast majority of queues are mainstreamed, meaning mobility devices can go through the regular standby or FP+ queues. For those that aren't, you'll be directed accordingly. You may certainly stop at Guest Relations and request DAS, but I would have a back-up plan with the wheelchair just in case.

Can we bring their Park Passes with us and have them attached to the DAS or do we have to wait until they use their park passes?

To answer your specific question -- no, I don't believe you can add the rest of your party until they have arrived and used their tickets to enter the park. If she receives a DAS on your first evening, you can stop again the next day to add the others.

Enjoy your vacation!

To answer the specific question -
You will need to wait until the guest you want yo add is in the park.
We actually recently had this situation/ our friend was not arriving the same day we were. We had his Magicband, which was linked to his ticket.
we asked if we could add him when we activated our daughter’s DAS and we’re told he needed to have entered the park.We added him the next day, it was very quick and easy.

I highly suggest renting a ECV for her, even if you think she may not need it every day. We average 7-10 miles a day at Disney. Places to sit and rest are few and few between a lot of the time. It's a LOT of walking and a LOT of standing. Since I injured my knee and back in a fall, I cannot do it anymore. I don't use any kind of mobility device at home anymore, but at Disney, absolutely. It is a totally different thing.

As others have said, a DAS doesn't apply to mobility issues at all, so the EVC is your best bet. There won't be a need to add your son's family to anything, and for almost every ride, you will be able to wait in line together. There are a few with alternate ECV entrances. Cast members are usually really good about directing you to the appropriate place. There are also a myriad of videos out there showing loading procedures for various rides.

Thanks for all the advice and I think I need to clarify. My wife will use the ECV to get around the park. She can and should do some walking. She is capable of walking into the attractions but can't stand on line for a very long period of time.

Thanks for all the advice and I think I need to clarify. My wife will use the ECV to get around the park. She can and should do some walking. She is capable of walking into the attractions but can't stand on line for a very long period of time.

For most ( I don't want to say all, since I'm not 100 % sure) she can take the ECV right into the queues.

I would hesitate thinking I can walk the queues, it's only a 10 mins wait. Once you get into line, you don't know if that 10 min wait will turn into 30 mins.

You can certainly ask, but based on what you say her issues are (mobility) and on Disney’s own policy, the DAS should be denied. They may or may not grant one.

For most ( I don't want to say all, since I'm not 100 % sure) she can take the ECV right into the queues.

I would hesitate thinking I can walk the queues, it's only a 10 mins wait. Once you get into line, you don't know if that 10 min wait will turn into 30 mins.
There are some ride lines ECV can not go in they have wheelchair for those rides. I would plan on taking the ECV with her in lines and having someone else sit in it when needed as waits can be longer

Why would she be standing if she had an ECV?
Also, the distance she would have to walk in the FP queue is pretty much equal to the length of standby. Also, even if you are using the FP queue, you may be standing up to 20 minutes at a time, so she should have the ECV with her so that she has a place to rest.

I think an ECV will be sufficient. As others have mentioned, most lines are mainstreamed and those that aren't will give you a return time. A DAS is not front of line or immediate access. Even with a return time to walk in, it still can be up to 20 minute wait and in some cases even longer (think any attraction with a pre-show. Test Track comes to mind as an attraction where you will be on your feet for a LONG time between entering the line and the final ride) The DAS wouldn't help for that but the ECV/wheelchair definitely would.

I think an ECV will be sufficient. As others have mentioned, most lines are mainstreamed and those that aren't will give you a return time. A DAS is not front of line or immediate access. Even with a return time to walk in, it still can be up to 20 minute wait and in some cases even longer (think any attraction with a pre-show. Test Track comes to mind as an attraction where you will be on your feet for a LONG time between entering the line and the final ride) The DAS wouldn't help for that but the ECV/wheelchair definitely would.
some lines are very long too sarin is one that goes on forever both going in and on the way out and the FP and the standby lines are both long. FOP has two pre show and most of the time there is a hold up. OP I do not to be mean but I hope you do not get a DAS because I think it will give you a false sense of security and I do not want your wife to get stuck in a too long of line without her ECV or wheelchair ( my friend did this and it was the end her trip and she spent the rest of the day in first aid we left early stayed at someone house and went home the next day) and we go to Disney all the time together ( about once every 4-6 weeks) and this was not a new problem

Most attractions don't involve a lot of standing in a line. You're walking, albeit sometimes slowly. Interval loaders, shows with a preshow, the movies in China and (if it's not being refurbished while you're there) all do need the guest to stand.

Really, truly, you need an alternate plan for/if the DAS is denied.

Disney's answer is going to be that if she cannot stand, she will need to take the ECV into the line. They won't provide a DAS for the inability to stand, they will offer a wheelchair or scooter rental. Your odds of getting a DAS are slim to none. The idea is that everyone who is capable of waiting in line should do so. DAS is for those for whom that is impossible. Disney has engineered things so that mobility challenges don't block access to the lines. I think you should plan for taking the ECV through the line. There is no reason your wife should walk or stand through them if it causes her pain.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!