Rescheduling Possibly

EddieK76

Mouseketeer
SO we are set for the Fantasy 8/31 but this is a special trip as it is our 20th anniversary and also our first cruise. With that being said if restrictions are too much or experiences being limited we would reschedule. The one I'm looking at is a Disney Magic sailing out of Miami on 1.28. What would be the biggest downside of going from the Fantasy to the Magic and vice versa. I've seen a lot of people view the Magic as the least liked out of the 4 but I don't know what is causing that thought process.

SO we are set for the Fantasy 8/31 but this is a special trip as it is our 20th anniversary and also our first cruise. With that being said if restrictions are too much or experiences being limited we would reschedule. The one I'm looking at is a Disney Magic sailing out of Miami on 1.28. What would be the biggest downside of going from the Fantasy to the Magic and vice versa. I've seen a lot of people view the Magic as the least liked out of the 4 but I don't know what is causing that thought process.
We love the Magic the best. You can always find a chair on the pool deck. The crowds are much smaller. I wouldn't worry about the ship change at all. Your weather will be much more different in January but I doubt August sailings will happen anyways.

If you are already rescheduling, I would feel more confident to reschedule to Spring/Summer 2021 or later for such a special occasion! As far as the Dream/Fantasy vs. the Magic/Wonder - you will find a lot of opinions and examples of pros/cons in older threads, if you search. They are quite different experiences, and we have loved both in their own ways. That being said, with little kids or a range of ages with younger kids, I tend to recommend the larger ships simply due to Nemo's Reef and the Aquaduck, which were and are hugely popular with our kids. If you are without kids, you CANNOT go wrong with either, imo. The smaller ships lead to a much less crowded day at CC in the Bahamas, which we loved. Oh, but I love the rain showers and the sauna and hot tubs looking out over the ocean on the Fantasy spa... I can't remember them on the smaller ships, but I believe they are differently configured.

If you are already rescheduling, I would feel more confident to reschedule to Spring/Summer 2021 or later for such a special occasion!

Thank you for all your insight. The dates we have are very limited due to my job and my wife's job plus our boys who play baseball that we need to be there for when they are playing :)

I totally understand. I'd push as late as possible, if you can though. We've cruised in Jan, Feb, May, Sept, Oct, Nov... Jan tends to be much colder in the Bahamas, even compared to Feb. And... maybe that was just our luck, but we had a lot of people sick with flu as well as GI issues on our Jan Star Wars cruise.... (not this year).

Thank you for all your insight. The dates we have are very limited due to my job and my wife's job plus our boys who play baseball that we need to be there for when they are playing :)

What would be the biggest downside of going from the Fantasy to the Magic

Magic does not have Sky Bar. If you smoke, the Fantasy has much better section on back of the ship outside Meridian than the little after thought section on the front of the Magic. Not sure what ages your kids are but if they are Vibe and Edge age they will like the Fantasy much better than the Magic. Fantasy has better rainforest area at the spa with outside jacuzzis that the Magic does not. Also, time of year, your Fantasy cruise would have warmer water in late Aug then your Magic cruise in Jan/Feb.

Last edited:
I've spent a lot of time in the Bahamas in January, and would only spend a lot of time in the water if I had a wetsuit, it can get that cold. If weather is a factor pushing to March would be worth it.

We prefer the Fantasy 10x over the Magic. For starters, we love the Fantasy's larger lobby and atrium, especially at the holidays or during special events; we felt the Magic's lobby was like a closet with stairs. Also, with the Magic, you have to go to the back of the ship for the soda fountain refills; it's in the middle of the deck on the Fantasy, which I prefer. We are not smokers, and can easily avoid the smoking section on the Fantasy; on the Magic, as I was walking the top deck, I could smell it constantly along the sides. We also felt the squeaking, creaking noises were much more prominent in our Magic stateroom (we had to call for this several times for repairs) than any room noises we have experienced on the Fantasy. And lastly, we LOVE the extended verandah rooms on the Dream class ships (forward and aft on Deck 5). I don't believe they have an equal to this category on the Magic.
Especially for a first trip I would highly recommend the Fantasy (or Dream)!

I am scheduled to depart on the Fantasy 8/31 cruise as well but it isn't looking too good right now. I've never been on the smaller ships but I think no matter what you'll have a great time on your first cruise regardless of the size, amenities offered etc.

I have been spoiled with the larger ships so I think going from the classic ships to the Dream class is the better way to do it. I was supposed to sail on the Magic this month and was really looking forward to it. Hopefully another time though...Plenty of pros and cons to go around though when it comes to the ships. I think the biggest one being the lower crowds on CC.

Been on the Magic twice, and have rescheduled for next year on her as well, I like all the ships but we kinda prefer the classic ones

We prefer the Fantasy 10x over the Magic. For starters, we love the Fantasy's larger lobby and atrium, especially at the holidays or during special events; we felt the Magic's lobby was like a closet with stairs. Also, with the Magic, you have to go to the back of the ship for the soda fountain refills; it's in the middle of the deck on the Fantasy, which I prefer. We are not smokers, and can easily avoid the smoking section on the Fantasy; on the Magic, as I was walking the top deck, I could smell it constantly along the sides. We also felt the squeaking, creaking noises were much more prominent in our Magic stateroom (we had to call for this several times for repairs) than any room noises we have experienced on the Fantasy. And lastly, we LOVE the extended verandah rooms on the Dream class ships (forward and aft on Deck 5). I don't believe they have an equal to this category on the Magic.
Especially for a first trip I would highly recommend the Fantasy (or Dream)!

Agree 1000%. We were not fans of the magic, but love the fantasy. I will have to disagree with a prior poster about empty chairs always being available on the magic. That was not our experience with an April cruise. It was a fight every day to find a lounger that was empty - might not be the case in January.

I would pick the dream class ships over the classic ships every time!

We've been on all 4. The Magic is by far my favorite! Especially on CC with half the people than the Dream Class. To each his own. No wrong choices!!

We absolutely adore the Magic, but we are fans of a smaller size ship in general. Honestly, you can't go wrong with ANY Disney cruise and I think for a first cruise, the smaller ship is a bit easier to digest, actually. I wish our first one had been on a Classic ship. I wouldn't hesitate to book it.

Okay, so I have booked the Magic, from Miami, on January 28, 2021. I have been on the Fantasy, Dream, and Big Red Boat (when my kids were in their teens, boy am I OLD!!!!!!). Anyway, I'm now starting to question my choice. I wanted to try the smaller ship, and liked the two bedroom option. I know everyone has different opions, but I'm still questioning my decision. No, I'm not going to cancel, unless DCL does, just wondering if I made the correct choice. I tried looking for information on the Magic, however, I can't find much. The ports, etc. are compatible with our schedule. I agree with the original poster, reading about people not liking the Magic, which is causing my questioning. Yes, I chose this ship and it's scheduled port stops, because it appealed to me (plus it's Disney!!) However, will there be activities for a six and two year old? I know the Nursery is available for the younger one and the childcare center for the older one. Will the Splash Pad make them happy? They both enjoyed Nemo's Reef on the Fantasy. I'm now worried that they won't be as excited on this cruise.
Sorry, don't want to hijack this post. Kind of late now to start questioning myself. Just was wondering as to WHY people aren't as happy with this ship?

Sorry, don't want to hijack this post. Kind of late now to start questioning myself. Just was wondering as to WHY people aren't as happy with this ship?
I think a lot is just personal preference. Above someone comments about where the soda station is positioned. Mid Ship or Aft. To me I cannot be bothered by this, it might save you a minute if you are staying midship and two minutes when you are staying frontship. I would probably never noticed until it was mentioned here. But it can be something to give a preference to the Fantasy and Dream, as on these ships they have learned from what they did on the Magic & Wonder. It's more cconvenient, and similar to the parks, Disneyland Paris benefitted a lot from what they have learned from Disneyland Anaheim, Disneyworld and Disney Tokyo.

I haven't been on the Dream yet, but whenever I look at it, I think: No, I am not going to like that ship. It's the restaurants, the shows, the bigger ship, that it only does short routes (which makes me think that because of the crew is used to the short turnovers, therefore not used to be more personal. Could be false, but this is my feeling). Nothing says to me: You have to sail this ship. I am totally biased :P

There are also plenty of people who like the Magic, see above posters and in this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-do-you-think-about-the-magic.3800278/
But I have a feeling people rather like to believe the negative comments over the positives. People tend to be (especially on the internet) more vocal about negative things. And that's how a reputation is created.

Why do you question if there will be activitities for a 2 and 6 year old? It's Disney. Their business is to entertain families with young children.
You are probably worrying for nothing, unless your kids have a splash pad etc. at home, they are probably going to be fine. :) Relax. And have an open mind, if you go in with the wrong mindset, you will have a lesser time and influence your family.

Last edited:
While I love some of the amenities on the Fantasy, I prefer the intimacy of the Magic. Wishing you a wonderful cruise which ever ship you choose!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts